The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of post about the new 6.7liter diesel mpg, but can anyone post what they are getting with their 6.2 gasser and with what gears?

·
Registered
907 Posts
svt2205,

thanks for the info. However it is just the average for some 11 miles if I read correctly. Also we do not know if these 11 miles were city, stop`n`go or highway. Hopefully we will get some longer-range data soon...

Jim

·
Registered
126 Posts
This was the truck I test drove. I reset it when I drove off the dealers lot. The truck only had 3 or so miles on it when I started. My test drive was on a local 4 lane highway.

Granted it's not much to go on, but it's all I could offer. One things for sure, that new LCD info center offers a lot more data then before.

·
Registered
102 Posts
This was the truck I test drove. I reset it when I drove off the dealers lot. The truck only had 3 or so miles on it when I started. My test drive was on a local 4 lane highway.

Granted it's not much to go on, but it's all I could offer. One things for sure, that new LCD info center offers a lot more data then before.

I would agree about the LCD.

But 12.5 doesn't seem that great, my 6.8 V10 with 4.30 showed 11.8 when I took it off the lot in '09. I live in the mountains and drive mostly stop and go on a daily basis and it's still getting about 10.

I am somewhat interested in the 6.2 as a replacement if it can get better mpg then the V10, but I would want to see at least 3-4 mpg better before I give up my extra torque. Although the extra gear seems to be able to help given the towing capacity is similar for the 2 trucks.

We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
For the nearly $8,000 initial difference in the price of the gasser engine vs the diesel engine, you can buy alot of gasoline, not to mention the big difference in maintenence costs. Even the Dodge Hemi gasser is claiming 20 mpg highway, but it's a Dodge.

·
Registered
102 Posts
For the nearly $8,000 initial difference in the price of the gasser engine vs the diesel engine, you can buy alot of gasoline, not to mention the big difference in maintenence costs. Even the Dodge Hemi gasser is claiming 20 mpg highway, but it's a Dodge.
Which means the Dodge will have high repair costs to spend all that money you saved at the pump on.

On another note, I have yet to find anyone with a new PSD (or any diesel for that matter) that can say they honestly get into even the high teens. Most are 2-3 mpg better than me on fuel that costs $0.30. Not bashing diesels, just saying the argument that they get better mpg is gone with the 7.3 and high sulfur diesel.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Has anyone determined how accurate the message center is on these new trucks. I know the one in my 07 F150 is typically within .5 mpg of what I calculate. Ford did a nice job with the new set up, tons of info.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I drove mine over 200 miles today(all flat roads, outside temp 96 degrees) and here's what I came up with. I reset the miles per gallon meter and drove about 65 miles at speeds of 50-60mph. The meter showed 16.5-17.3 the entire way. I then got on the interstate for another 40 miles driving 75mph and the meter showed 14.2 -14.7 for those miles. On the way back I reset it again and it averaged around 15.0 for the entire trip. Of course this is what the truck showed. I will gas up tomorrow and do it the old fashioned way with the next tank. Gallons/miles driven to see what it is. I will continue to post how it does as I drive 35K plus miles a year with about half being highway miles and rarely tow if ever.
I have been getting around 12.4 driving around town.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I drove mine over 200 miles today(all flat roads, outside temp 96 degrees) and here's what I came up with. I reset the miles per gallon meter and drove about 65 miles at speeds of 50-60mph. The meter showed 16.5-17.3 the entire way. I then got on the interstate for another 40 miles driving 75mph and the meter showed 14.2 -14.7 for those miles. On the way back I reset it again and it averaged around 15.0 for the entire trip. Of course this is what the truck showed. I will gas up tomorrow and do it the old fashioned way with the next tank. Gallons/miles driven to see what it is. I will continue to post how it does as I drive 35K plus miles a year with about half being highway miles and rarely tow if ever.
I have been getting around 12.4 driving around town.

Good info:thumbsup: do you know which rear end you have? Since you rarely tow, I assume the 3.73...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes, the 3.73. Drove another 150 miles today with about 100 of the miles having the cruise set at 55-60 mph and the rest stop and go around town. The average for the entire 150 mile trip was 16.1.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just wanted to post another mileage update. Have gone a little over 2000 miles now and on my last tank I got about 15.1 MPG. Basically put 30 gallons in the tank and drove 452 miles. About 300 of these miles were on the interstate with the cruies set at 75mph.The rest around town. Still averageing around 13.0 daily driving around town. The sweet spot seems to be driving around 50-60mph, whenever i drive this speed for 30 minutes or so I get around 16.5-17.2. All this is not towing on flat roads.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The engine is actually growing on me each day. In the beginning I was really babying the thing with slow acceleration and such. Now that I have 2K plus miles I am starting to push it a lot harder. Still no towing, but I do mash the gas pretty hard and it has some good power. When driving over 25mph if you step on it, it has good pickup speed in and out of traffic. From a dead stop it's about what you would expect from a Super Duty, but like I said once you get in 2nd or 3rd gear, you can really feel the power when accelerating. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My first 1,500 miles with the 6.2

I've seen a lot of post about the new 6.7liter diesel mpg, but can anyone post what they are getting with their 6.2 gasser and with what gears?
OK Dudes, here's the 411 on what I have seen so far on my machine. First, I took delivery of my 2011 F-250 SD on 18 June. It is in Lariat Super Cab FX4 trim, 6.2 gasser, 4.30 gears in the rear end. This is my 5th "truck", first Super Duty. All numbers are from actual miles driven and fuel uploaded. I always fill, refilling after passing the 1/4 point on the fuel gauge with 87 octane Shell gasoline. I have refueled the machine 4 times so far. I use the machine mostly local, have towed a 3,600 pound boat twice, (175 total towing miles
), towing only after the first 1,000 miles. When I ordered the truck I went with the 4.30's instead of the 3.73's because by my calculations, on the type of driving I would be using the machine for that the fuel mileage would not be that much different than with the 3.73's and the towing would be better. I do not drive for hours on limited access highways at a steady cruise speed. In that case the 3.73's would show there merit.

The average speed calculation comes from the engine run clock and the miles driven between fueling. I do not let the engine idle anymore than necessary and get underway within 30 -60 seconds from start up. I drive in a consistent manner and do not zoom away from stop lights, as I see my share of them. Besides, only a fool would drive like a cowboy in a 6,500+ curb weight machine.The average speed is an interesting number because it shows just how slow actual point to point driving in a non-limited access road environment is.

So far I am very impressed with the new 6.2 engine, it's very smooth and powerful. I don't think that the guys with the 3.73 final drive are doing much better with their average fuel mileage.

To Date: 1,632.9 miles on the clock

1st tank of fuel:
engine clock: 12:54:00
miles: 354.4
average speed: 27.47 m.p.h.
fuel milage: 12.51 m.p.g.

2nd tank of fuel:
engine clock: 13:08:50
miles: 348.2
average speed: 26.48 m.p.h.
fuel milage: 12.23 m.p.g.

3rd tank of fuel:
engine clock: 10:19:10
miles: 282.3
average speed: 27.35 m.p.h.
fuel milage: 12.16 m.p.g.

4th tank of fuel:
engine clock: 10:18:50
miles: 284.7
average speed: 27.59 m.p.h.
fuel milage: 12.39 m.p.g.

The numbers are derived from a spreadsheet I keep, my the trip computer looks pretty accurate, calling out 12.2 -12.5 miles per gallon. What final drive do you guys have in your machines?
I have attached a photo of my machine below.

·
Registered
180 Posts
OK Dudes, here's the 411 on what I have seen so far on my machine. First, I took delivery of my 2011 F-250 SD on 18 June. It is in Lariat Super Cab FX4 trim, 6.2 gasser, 4.30 gears in the rear end. This is my 5th "truck", first Super Duty. All numbers are from actual miles driven and fuel uploaded. I always fill, refilling after passing the 1/4 point on the fuel gauge with 87 octane Shell gasoline. I have refueled the machine 4 times so far. I use the machine mostly local, have towed a 3,600 pound boat twice, (175 total towing miles
), towing only after the first 1,000 miles. When I ordered the truck I went with the 4.30's instead of the 3.73's because by my calculations, on the type of driving I would be using the machine for that the fuel mileage would not be that much different than with the 3.73's and the towing would be better. I do not drive for hours on limited access highways at a steady cruise speed. In that case the 3.73's would show there merit.

The average speed calculation comes from the engine run clock and the miles driven between fueling. I do not let the engine idle anymore than necessary and get underway within 30 -60 seconds from start up. I drive in a consistent manner and do not zoom away from stop lights, as I see my share of them. Besides, only a fool would drive like a cowboy in a 6,500+ curb weight machine.The average speed is an interesting number because it shows just how slow actual point to point driving in a non-limited access road environment is.

So far I am very impressed with the new 6.2 engine, it's very smooth and powerful. I don't think that the guys with the 3.73 final drive are doing much better with their average fuel mileage.

To Date: 1,632.9 miles on the clock

1st tank of fuel:
engine clock: 12:54:00
miles: 354.4
average speed: 27.47 m.p.h.
fuel milage: 12.51 m.p.g.

2nd tank of fuel:
engine clock: 13:08:50
miles: 348.2
average speed: 26.48 m.p.h.
fuel milage: 12.23 m.p.g.

3rd tank of fuel:
engine clock: 10:19:10
miles: 282.3
average speed: 27.35 m.p.h.
fuel milage: 12.16 m.p.g.

4th tank of fuel:
engine clock: 10:18:50
miles: 284.7
average speed: 27.59 m.p.h.
fuel milage: 12.39 m.p.g.

The numbers are derived from a spreadsheet I keep, my the trip computer looks pretty accurate, calling out 12.2 -12.5 miles per gallon. What final drive do you guys have in your machines?
I have attached a photo of my machine below.

Good Info. I've got the 3:73 gears and have 5500 miles. I have done no towing and a lot of interstate driving. I have been getting about 2-3 mpg better than the mileage you have posted.
Still love everything about my truck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your truck is sharp looking, is it sterling gray. I am waiting for my 250 Lariat again, the first one the dealer ordered came in with the wrong color and seats. Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Your truck is sharp looking, is it sterling gray. I am waiting for my 250 Lariat again, the first one the dealer ordered came in with the wrong color and seats. Thanks
Hi,

No, the color is Ingot Silver. The Sterling Gray is much darker. Good Luck with your new machine! I'm just luv'en mine. :thumbsup:

Nix

1 - 20 of 107 Posts