The Diesel Stop banner

6.2L mpg ?

150K views 106 replies 49 participants last post by  alariwild 
#1 ·
I've seen a lot of post about the new 6.7liter diesel mpg, but can anyone post what they are getting with their 6.2 gasser and with what gears?

#48 · (Edited)
From the Lie-0-meter i drove from Baltimore, Md to Berkley Spring, WV. about 140miles and a few mountains, i got a average of 14.7mpg. Not towing just a 4-wheeler in the bed. 3:73 gears, did find when on some side roads heading up the mountains had to lock out 5th and 6th gear to stop the tranny from shifting, maintaining 190 degrees on the tranny.

#51 · (Edited)
6.2L gassers.. how has your MPG changed now?

It has been almost a year since this thread was started about the Ford 6.2L gasser.
I was just wondering has any of you noticed any changes now that yo have added a few more miles?

What kind of mileage you getting now with broke-in engine?
I have attached a picture of an F-250 that looks like the one being built for me. Supercab, Lariat, 3.73, 8ft bed, 5th wheel prep, sprayed bedliner, Color is Royal Red and Adobe.

Thanks

Attachments

#52 ·
It has been almost a year since this thread was started about the Ford 6.2L gasser.
I was just wondering has any of you noticed any changes now that yo have added a few more miles?

What kind of mileage you getting now with broke-in engine?
I have attached a picture of an F-250 that looks like the one being built for me. Supercab, Lariat, 3.73, 8ft bed, 5th wheel prep, sprayed bedliner, Color is Royal Red and Adobe.

Thanks
most 6.2 owners on other sites are getting 14-15 MPG after broke in

#53 ·
I am up to 27K miles on mine now and there has been no change at all from the first month I drove it. The milage will run between 14-15MPG average, not towing, 60% Highway and 40% town. If you run around 50MPH for extended times it will go up to about 17MPG max and when strictly around town around 13.5MPG. I reset my Trip B meter and have let it run for the last 8000 miles and it shows 14.7 MPG average.
I have no complaints other than the transmission is a bit quirky at times even after I have had the TSB to correct rough shifting, that made a huge improvement, but it still acts up every once in a while with a shift that feels a little rough. Nothing to bad though and I dont let it freak me out like it used too. I enjoy driving it and still get compliments daily.

#55 ·
NJ to LA 1,350 miles? Did you take a short cut I don't know about. :lol:
Anyway that is great MPG mileage. I hope mine get at least that .

Anyone have any secrets on Break-in?
I know you shouldn't pull heavy loads until after 1,000 miles.
Start driving different speeds and not long runs at the same speed.
I also heard some change oil at 1,000 miles then every 5,000 miles.

What do you think?

#60 · (Edited)
1st Trip pulling 5th wheel

Overview
Just got back from a 700 mile trip pulling a 5th wheel trailer and wanted to update you on the performance and mpg on my new 2011 F-250 6.2L. Truck had just went over 1,000 miles before trip. Trailer 10,000 lbs

Truck - 2011 F-250, 6.2L, LB, SC 2x4, 3.73 rear

Details
This trip was mostly on Interstate highways and I ranged speed from 55 mph to 70 mph.
I kept transmission in D and did not manually select or remove any gears.
The trip was from Phoenix Arizona to San Diego California and back.
Most of the trip was level except for the climb at Palm Springs westbound.
Westbound I had a headwind of 8-10 mph which hurt mileage.
In Arizona I drove 65 -70mph and in California 55-61 mph.
AC was always on for the entire trip.
My 30ft 5th wheel weighs 10,000.
Most of the trip I stayed at 61mph and 1600 rpms which was the sweet spot for the Engine & Trans.
All of my fuel was 87 octane with 10% ethanol which I didn’t like but that what was available.
Outside air temp ranged from 65 to 90 degrees.
When filling with fuel I pumped until the automatic nozzle clicked off and I went up to the next full dollar amount. This makes all fill-ups consistently close in being the same.

My observations.
Transmission took at least 5 miles to get up to 165-175 degrees.
Transmission temperature ranged between 184 – 199 degrees.
Engine had plenty of power and torque in all speed ranges.
Transmission did not miss any gears and was very smooth shifting.
The exhaust sound is good at cruising and downshifting sounds great!
Pass a few trucks pulling trailers, Dodge Cummins, Ford F-150 and even an F-250 Powerstroke.
Engine response was very quick when I needed it.
Mileage westbound with headwind was 8.7 mpg. (Hand calculated)
Mileage eastbound was 9.3 and 9.4 mpg on two fillips. (Hand calculated)
When hitting the headwind the truck liked 5th gear but quickly changed to 6th when wind decresed.

My thoughts and conclusion
I converted from a F-250 6.0L Powerstroke diesel to the 6.2L gasser.
I’m very happy and have been pleasantly surprised in the performance of the engine and transmission.
I hope with time and miles my pulling mpg may raise and reach 10mpg which I think is possible.
The continental tires were good and quiet on the highways.
Hopefully this will give you a better idea of the performance of the 6.2L gas engine.
In the next month I will drive 3,000 miles pulling this trailer. I will update you after the trip.

#61 · (Edited)
2nd Trip Pulling Trailer 3,300 miles

OverviewJust got back from a 3,300 mile trip pulling a 5th wheel trailer and wanted to update you on the performance and mpg on my new 2011 F-250 6.2L. Trip was from Phoenix AZ to Branson MO. and back.

Truck - 2011 F-250, 6.2L, LB, SC 2x4, 3.73 rear
Fuel was regular but it ranged from 86 to 88 octane depending on state. That was interesting to see this as I usually see 87.

5th wheel trailer loaded was about 10,000 lbs

The engine pulled with no problems on flats as well as hills. I did have many long hills with 6% grade on this trip. I also had headwinds which killed most of my readings. All readings are hand calculated.

My average highway speed was 65 mph and took it up to 70 mph when conditions were good.

Worst mpg during trip was 7.9 mpg with a nasty head wind of 20 plus mph

Best mpg was in Oklahoma with 10.4 mpg. flat and no wind and very light on the pedal.

Average was 9.2 MPG and the feew tanks with 9.8 mpg and 10.4 mpg brought that up.

I can not say enough about the new 6 speed transmission especially on the hill climbing. It handled them with ease and even had a few moments when I had to get down into 3rd gear because I was n't watching and lost my rpm's.
That hill I went down to 3rd and it took it back up to 4th and didn't touch
5th or 6th until the top of the hill.

Normal 6th gear I was running 1,700 rpms at 65 mph
Many times with headwind it kicked down to 5th gear and even 4th when climbing.

I now have 4,500 miles on the truck and will conntinue to use it for pulling my 5th wheel and hope the mpg will get a little better as time goes on.
I do plan on changing my oil and filter next week.

I have attached my spreadsheet showing mileage pulling as well as weather and wind conditions.

The Regular gas varied Octane ratings and many places has 10% ethonol. I saw 86,87 and 88 octanes so this may have had some direct relations to the mpg.

The octane ratings for regular-grade fuel range from 85 to 87, midgrades are rated 88 to 90, and 91 and higher is premium.

Attachments

#62 ·
According to a recent article, drivers are complaining of reduced gas mileage in the two months since switch to gasoline blended with 10% ethanol. According to the Ethanol Promotion and Information council, most drivers using a 10% ethanol-blended gas will experience a 1-2% drop in mileage. But some drivers are claiming that their mileage has dropped by 25-30%.

#63 ·
The Great Ethanol Scam

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:25 PM
Bloomberg Business Wee

The Great Ethanol Scam
Not only is ethanol proving to be a dud as a fuel substitute but there is increasing evidence that it is destroying engines in large numbers

By Ed Wallace

http://www.businessw...0514_058678.htm

excerpt:
WHERE'S THE LOGIC?
First, the primary job of the Environmental Protection Agency is, dare it be said, to protect our environment. Yet using ethanol actually creates more smog than using regular gas, and the EPA's own attorneys had to admit that fact in front of the justices presiding over the Third Circuit Court of Appeals in 1995 (API v. EPA).

Second, truly independent studies on ethanol, such as those written by Tad Patzek of Berkeley and David Pimentel of Cornell, show that ethanol is a net energy loser. Other studies suggest there is a small net energy gain from it.

Third, all fuels laced with ethanol reduce the vehicle's fuel efficiency, and the E85 blend drops gas mileage between 30% and 40%, depending on whether you use the EPA's fuel mileage standards (fueleconomy.gov) or those of the Dept. of Energy.

Fourth, forget what biofuels have done to the price of foodstuffs worldwide over the past three years; the science seems to suggest that using ethanol increases global warming emissions over the use of straight gasoline. Just these issues should have kept ethanol from being brought back for its fourth run in American history.

Don't let anybody mislead you: The new push to get a 15% ethanol mandate out of Washington is simply to restore profitability to a failed industry. Only this time around those promoting more ethanol in our gas say there's no scientific proof that adding more ethanol will damage vehicles or small gas-powered engines. With that statement they've gone from shilling the public to outright falsehoods, because ethanol-laced gasoline is already destroying engines across the country in ever larger numbers.

#64 ·
Just following along. MPG reports for 6.2L are an improvement. Compared to my old 1988 F250 HD SC 8ft bed 4X4 460CID (7.3L) f.i. 5 sd. manual w/od. 373 final ratio. 87 oct. Solo consistent avg 11 1/2 mpg.(avg. 65 mph) Maxed out GVWR (OH slide in camper) best of conditions..8/8 1/2 mpg.

Iggy...I agree. Our fuel pumped in from calif. Sometime ago when mtbe was banned here we got the 10% ethanol blend. Immediately lost 1 to 1 1/2 mpg on my small V6 Buick & also slight power loss. Can only imagine how bad 15% will be if change made. MTBE turned out bad for enviroment, but cheaper to produce. Ethanol cost more, less mpg etc. Certain food products price has risen since then (& continue) & can only go higher if 15% ethanol becomes new standard. Just sayin.

btw...so far no apparent mechanical problem I can detect with 10% ethanol blend, but 15% blend, hmmmm?

#66 ·
Iggy keep drinking that coolaide! yah e85 will drop your mileage a bit. but we have noticed a bit more hp. I would take it over foreign oil any day of the week. its all who you want to support big oil or the american farmer trying to survive in an environment where he is always made out to be the bad guy. Im not for ethanol being subsidised, the less government has their hands in the better in my opinion. just my two cents.

#67 ·
I have a F350 CC SB 4WD with 4.30's that I just received on Tuesday afternoon. So far I have 700 miles on it and I am loving it. My average fuel mileage since picking up the truck at the dealer is 14.1 mpg combined. My best on the highway with a light quartering tailwind is 14.8 mpg. Average on the highway on a 310 mile round trip today was 14.5 indicated and 14.4 actual. Around town the mileage is averaging just under what I see on the highway overall with engine shutdowns and stop and go light to light traffic mixed in with express ways at 45 mph. BTW I set my cruise at 68 mph on the highway.

#69 ·
4.10 is not a ratio available in a SD Pickup. A 4.10 ratio is only available in a Chassis cab SD powered with the 6.7L Diesel motor.

#76 ·
BUMP

what are yall getting now?

I have a 2011 super cab xlt fx4 with 3.73 gears company truck. When it was brand new it only got about 9mpg with around town driving. Now with 25K miles on it I am getting 14 around town and about 16 on the highway.

I am considering buying a new truck with the 6.2 with 4.30s. Any of yall run 35s or 37s with the 4.30 gears? If a 6.2 would get 14-15mpg on 35s I'd buy one. My 7.3 gets 14-17 with 35s.

#79 ·
Last week I ran from NC to NJ on route 81 got 13.9
3.73 gears with stock 18" tires running 65-80 MPH
24000 miles on truck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.