The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have a step by step procedure on changing out a injector? I will be changing injector #2 out this weekend and was hoping someone had a procedure. As we all know the hardest part is just getting everything out of the way...

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Does anyone out there have a step by step procedure on changing out a injector? I will be changing injector #2 out this weekend and was hoping someone had a procedure. As we all know the hardest part is just getting everything out of the way...

I don't have a step by step but I will give you the best advice when changing these injectors out: Do not re-use the connecting tube. The tube that feeds fuel to the injector from the fuel rail is a on-time torque to yield piece. If anyone tells you that you do not need to replace them, they are wrong. There is a reason why Mahle includes them in their head gasket kits and ford sends injectors with new connecting tubes. I've seen this time and time again and 90% of the time they have an issue on that particular cylinder followed by low fuel rail pressure issues due to a leaky fitting on the connector tube.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks for the advise. I popped the hood and was intemidated from all the things that need to be removed just to get to it. I've changed 2 injectors out on my old 6.0 and I dont remember it having this many components in the way. Although the shop did tell me the 6.4 injector replacement is a 5 hour labor charge compared to a 3 hour charge on the 6.0...maybe this is the reason why??

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Ok, thanks for the advise. I popped the hood and was intemidated from all the things that need to be removed just to get to it. I've changed 2 injectors out on my old 6.0 and I dont remember it having this many components in the way. Although the shop did tell me the 6.4 injector replacement is a 5 hour labor charge compared to a 3 hour charge on the 6.0...maybe this is the reason why??
With the stock chargers and the fuel cooler system, it's kind of a pain to get access to the drivers side valve cover. Passenger side isn't as bad, but you have heater lines in that area as well to deal with. There is a lot less space to maneuver and work around with the additional components (turbo's specifically) on a 6.4 versus a 6.0.

·
Registered
212 Posts
HEUI injectors and Piazio are vastly different beasts... getting to them is the issue, once there they're easy(r.. .they're easier).

take the advice posted above this post serious... do it right and walk away... also be aware that the injectors have cups/sleaves that are part of the cooling system and keep them in check... I'd rec you replace those, too, or at least take extreme measures not to damage them.

be careful around the heater core plastic feed thing that goes into the intake near the passenger bank head/intake.. it's easy to break, and you don't wanna know what you have to do to fix it right..

·
Registered
212 Posts
"pass one over to the driver" :)
Passenger side bank front One... Driver side bank front Two..

you're on point....

you're also asking questions and have concerns that demonstrate you've got interest in doing it right... instead of shade tree'n it...

one of the best sources of information I've encountered outside of a shop manual is backglass-6.4 Bible... get on that one and dig a while!!! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts