The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a quick Google search and can't find much on 6.4 trannys overheating. So my truck is an 08 Powerstroke with 8 inch lift and 37 inch tires tuned and deleted with mishimoto radiator and oil cooler kit has160 k miles it runs great. but the other day I was climbing the Jackson pass and everyone was going 35 mph Should be 55 but anyways my transmission started getting hot, reached 245 and I didn't even have a trailer. I'm wondering if it because the converter never locked up or if there is another problem, never over heated before. So I decided to drop the pan and install the 2009/10 pan and filter but then I realized I probably only changed half of the bad fluid. So what is everyone's opinion on this? Normal or should I add a cooler or another problem? ... And should I change it again or flush or not worry about the fluid

·
Super Moderator
12,019 Posts
Why do you think the fluid is bad?

Does the tow/haul light flash? That would indicate there are trans codes.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because it had been a long time since a flush. I haven't done it since I owned it and that was at least 15k miles and idk when previous owner did it. So just miles it was probably due smelt a little burnt but not bad and I read after 220 degrees atf starts degrading and I wanted to do the pan update so I decided to just go for it but forgot the cooler and converter don't drain when you drain the pan. So now I'm not sure I should let it be for a few k miles redo it and flush it completly or just forget about it for another 25-30k assuming I don't get it that hot again.

·
Super Moderator
12,019 Posts
There is no truth that fluid is fine up to X temperature and then starts to degrade. Fluid begins to degrade about Absolute Zero ( –459.67°F) and continues to degrade. The people that tell you that you MUST change your fluid if you reach X temperature don't know what they are talking about.

You can run at 220F all day long with NO problems with the fluid.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No one said I just it just said the life of your Transmision goes down pretty quickly after 220 degrees and at 245 I'd rather just be on the safe side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts