The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here but this site looks to be full of knowledge so here we go...

I purchased a 2011 F350 diesel 6.7 from an auction out of province. The truck had its EGR and DPF removed and a Black Maxx tuner installed. In the province I live in (Ontario) we have emission testing and so the truck would never pass. I purchased everything I needed to return it to stock including the EGR and whole exhaust pipe.

With the exhaust I received two EGT sensors and I purchased two new ones. All hardware installed without issues only problem I ran into was the EGT sensors would not plug into the truck harness because the plugs corroded under the truck while they were not in use. I purchased new pigtails for the EGT's and was back in business. Now everything plugged in and was ready for test.

Truck started and appears to run great with full power, but the CEL light comes on and the following codes come up when I check with my scanner:

1. P242D - EGT Sensor Circuit High Bank 1 Sensor 3
2. P2471 - EGT Sensor Circuit High B1S4
3. P0489 - EGR Control Circuit Low
4. P0405 - EGR Sensor A Circuit Low
5. P2185 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 2 Circuit High.

The first two codes relating to the EGT's are relating to the far rear two EGT's from my research. So I tried to swap the sensors with the front two thinking if the fault codes change then it will point to bad EGT sensors. However, even after I rotated the sensors around nothing changed. Same codes show up as above leading me to believe it's not the sensors. When the codes are cleared, all of above faults come back on right away with just the ignition on.

I have not yet tried to troubleshoot the other three codes, will do that today.

Sorry for the long explanation but thought it may help with any diagnosis. Please help to point me in right direction if anyone has previous knowledge of anything like this. Thanks!

·
Registered
740 Posts
You didn't say which 2 of the 4 sensors you replaced. Were 3 & 4 the old ones? They are numbered downstream and you were correct. Use the search function, there is a list of many codes here. You will have to take it in at some point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Initially the new EGT sensors I used as #1 and 2. The fault codes came in for #3 and 4 where I re-used the used the old sensors. So before running out to buy new sensors I swapped #1 and 2 with 3 and 4. (Now my new sensors are in positions 3 and 4). I cleared the codes and checked again. No change, same codes come back which logic tells me that it's not the sensors.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Can you go to the dealer and have them update the PCM?
That will reset everything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: so after more reading and research I realized that 4 of my 5 codes are "permanent" codes. Meaning that you can't just delete them. A solution tonthisnisnto drive the truck at highway speed and stop and go conditions for about 30 miles to simulate real time driving conditions. If the problem which caused the codes does not re-occur then they get deleted on their own. So sure enough I drive around for a while and all of my permanent codes went away.
I am now left with just one code P0489 which is a "pending" code. Not sure yet what to do with it.
I would like to avoid going to dealer since I'm out of warranty.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I didn't mean to get it taken care of under warranty.
You can pay the dealer to reflash the PCM.
They won't care if it is under warranty or not.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I commonly see "deleted" trucks where the EGT sensors have been removed and the electrical connectors are left exposed to the weather and the wiring terminals corrode. This will cause circuit codes so I recommend that you inspect the harness connectors very closely before beating your head against a wall.

The EGR codes together point to an EGR valve circuit or faulty valve. There are tests involved in determining this. However, you do want to be sure that you have no leaks in your intake/CAC system as well. As this truck was deleted, you should also pay attention to the EGR valve harness connector for the same reason I outlined for the EGT sensors.

And, as mentioned, you really should visit your dealer and have the modules updated to the current level. Since the truck has been programmed by an aftermarket device you should inform the dealer of this so that the VIN matches as they may prefer to update the modules VIA "As Built" data from the factory in case the calibration is corrupt or otherwise not correct for the vehicle. Also, there have been many important updates for your truck since it was built.

Reactions: hatchchile

·
Registered
25 Posts
Update: so after more reading and research I realized that 4 of my 5 codes are "permanent" codes. Meaning that you can't just delete them. A solution tonthisnisnto drive the truck at highway speed and stop and go conditions for about 30 miles to simulate real time driving conditions. If the problem which caused the codes does not re-occur then they get deleted on their own. So sure enough I drive around for a while and all of my permanent codes went away.
I am now left with just one code P0489 which is a "pending" code. Not sure yet what to do with it.
I would like to avoid going to dealer since I'm out of warranty.
Hey Dieselchris,

Please let me know if you decide to schedule an appointment with your Ford Dealer to have this inspected, and I'll look further into this to see how I can help.

Nick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Nick. I replaced the EGR valve and the code is gone. Unfortunately a new code that I did not have before came up. P208E -(reductant injection valve stuck closed bank 1 unit 1). I removed the urea injector, cleaned it up and tested again with same results. I'm guessing next step would be to replace with a new one but they are quite expensive ($320 in Canada) and not many used ones I could locate. Any suggestions on testing mine before I go buying another?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello Nick. I replaced the EGR valve and the code is gone. Unfortunately a new code that I did not have before came up. P208E -(reductant injection valve stuck closed bank 1 unit 1). I removed the urea injector, cleaned it up and tested again with same results. I'm guessing next step would be to replace with a new one but they are quite expensive ($320 in Canada) and not many used ones I could locate. Any suggestions on testing mine before I go buying another?
Thanks for the details, Dieselchris. I'm not a trained tech, so I'm unable to advise regarding your concern. The Ford-Certified Techs at the dealership would be best to assist. I suggest reaching out to them. You can locate dealers in your area here.

Mariel

·
Registered
5,458 Posts

The reductant injector can be tested however you will need a Ford IDS to perform the tests. I would want to verify that it is not working before replacing it. There is also a Technical Service Bulletin for your model year truck to replace the injector for this code if it does not pass the flow test. As suggested, I recommend having a Ford tech diagnose it to verify the fault and system operation. But, reading between the lines, you are likely just going to replace it. In this case it's the most likely cause. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts