The Diesel Stop banner

6.7L dpf delete pros and cons

691K views 201 replies 95 participants last post by  Stroking it 
#1 ·
I am thinking about doing a dpf delete on my new 6.7. what's the fuel milage gains? Will it run as good as the 6.4 does? Any problems? According to the programmer websites your only looking at 30 more hp over the non dpf delete tunes is it worth it? I want to hear anything you have to say.

#2 ·
It really just all comes down to how important the warranty is to you should something happen.

If it is not a big deal then a DPF delete + exhaust would be about $1200-1400, very very slight daily mpg increase but no regens and no DEF anymore + cooler EGT's and you'll be able to hear the turbo again.

Comparing it to the 6.4, it's just 2 different monsters. Are you looking for the highest possible HP just to say you have it or what are you actually shooting for?

#3 ·
I'll be thinking about it after warranty time. After the first glitch with the emissions gear, it'll be out. Not for the power, just for the lack of emissions stuff to replace and possibly maintain down the road.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Exactly. Maybe someone else could chime in but isn't the "lifespan" of the DPF supposed to be just over 100k?

Either get rid of or be ready to buy another... or trade to a 2013-2014 model :)

#7 ·
Nope! Not with just the DPF delete.

Thats a pretty high price to pay for a little braggin rights

I don't know how good or bad this engine will be. But my past experience with the 7.3 and 6.0 engines convinced me that the 100,000 mile warranty was worth quite a bit. Most of my service work was in the 80,000 to 100,000 mile time period. I'm not about to mess with anything warranty related until I'm past that point, Besides around here, I would have to re-install every year to meet the emiission testing.

#11 ·
Nothing in Fl either

#14 ·
I'm with you :thumbsup:

In 40 years of working on automobiles I can PROUDLY say that I have NEVER deleted, altered or rendered useless any emissions equipment on any vehicle I have worked on.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
From the Congressional Budget Office: Implications of Ethanol Use for Food Prices and Greenhouse-Gas Emissions

Figure 3 shows how a majority of ethanol is made and the CO2 per gas and ethanol. US is mostly coal power plants, so you take coal and corn to make ethanol and tada you have more pounds of co2.

Anybody remember MBE on Long Island NY? I just want my clean air (and water {MBE}) to come from proven science not politics.

#17 ·
What about delete for another reason? I have considered it because I believe I can run the vehicle on 100 percent biodiesel after the delete. If I am wrong please let me know. I have not put a lot of time into finding out the facts about delete and biodiesel yet. Using a carbon neutral fuel would not make me feel guilty about the delete.

#18 ·
maybe i just see this but this guy was asking for your help about his truck not political bullsh!t. this is not a thred on if you think its good for the air or not so please lets keep to the basic topic im sure other people agree and if you dont. please dont start talking about why you dont agree with me.:nono:

#22 ·
Personally Guys, I talk with dozens of folks who have done the egr and stock exhaust delete and there is not one that regrets it. A dozen or more have had me install Hydro Kits on their trucks and see even more gas mileage, along with Performance. If anyone is interested in it lmk and I can help you out. I can also help with any on site performance mods. These trucks will surprise you when having the right things done.

#24 ·
Fellas,
I am subscribing to the thread. I am also very interested in doing a DPF/EGR delete on my 2012 6.7. My main goal here would be to increase the longevity of the truck. I am a one truck, trive it till she wears out and enjoy while you have it kinda guy.

Again, i want to increase longevity and hear the turbo once again more so than just to have extra power.

However, i am hesitient as this is a new engine and sure would hate to have to fix this expense truck with no warranty....

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

#25 ·
I don't have a 6.7... yet. Still running my 01' 7.3L and on B100 I make myself.

I do like the new trucks but the B20 thing for me is BS as my work purchases my chemicals for the biodiesel so it's $0.05/L! I'd have to be a moron to want to get on the "cocaine" addiction gas station again.

Wondering if anyone has run B100 in the 6.7 and what issues are.

But on the dpf delete and stuff.... here in BC, Canada, if you register higher than a GVW of 5000kg (I'm registered at 8200kg) you don't have any aircare emissions testing so you can do whatever the hell you want. :wink2:

#26 ·
I to would like to do this. I like the thought of no more DEF and hearing the turbo. I miss the smell of diesel too. It just dont seem like a diesel if you can't hear the turbo, smell diesel, and hear the clatter of the engine

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just want to know if the DPF delete, exhaust, and getting rid of the DEF fluid is the right thing to do. I have a 2012 6.7 and i love the truck, and i have not had any issues up to the 61k that i have on it now. I'm weary of what will happen at 100k as i had a ton of issues with a 6.0 at that mileage. I like the idea of getting rid of the DEF and doing a programmer of some type, but only to increase the life of the motor. If the motors are built with these things on them, is it best to keep them on the motor?

Ford House mechanics are going to do what keeps them in business and out of trouble, and a performance house is going to try and change everything you have to make a sale. I just want a straight pro and con perspective from someone that knows and understands the ins and outs of the 6.7 and what altering the motor could potentially do... both good and bad. I just want what is best solution for my motor platform to get the most time out of it! For me, they are too damn expensive to buy a new one every year or two!

Thanks,
Stonebones

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just want to know if the DPF delete, exhaust, and getting rid of the DEF fluid is the right thing to do. I have a 2012 6.7 and i love the truck, and i have not had any issues up to the 61k that i have on it now. I'm weary of what will happen at 100k as i had a ton of issues with a 6.0 at that mileage. I like the idea of getting rid of the DEF and doing a programmer of some type, but only to increase the life of the motor. If the motors are built with these things on them, is it best to keep them on the motor? Ford House mechanics are going to do what keeps them in business and out of trouble, and a performance house is going to try and change everything you have to make a sale. I just want a straight pro and con perspective from someone that knows and understands the ins and outs of the 6.7 and what altering the motor could potentially do....both good and bad. I just want what is best solution for my motor platform to get the most time out of it! For me, they are too damn expensive to buy a new one every year or two!

Thanks,
Stonebones
I'd like to hear others thoughts also. My 2011 6.7 had CEL 'false alarms' so I never felt confident real damage would not ultimately occur from EGR/DPF issues. So I deleted / tuned it and it ran flawlessly.

Now have a 2014 6.7 and with less than 200 miles had my first CEL (dealer said was a EGR code) so thinking about doing to this truck also.

#28 ·
I officially have my unlock code and sourcing out delete components, any direction on erg delete and regen crap is welcome, local shops having trouble sourcing. Are we compatible 2011-13 kits?

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, I'll reiterate the concern that some have for the environment. ...And this is not political! Below is a link that describes the health and environmental effects of NOX.

The health effects of NOX in the atmosphere is nothing new. Diesel engine engineers worked with ammonia injection as far back as 1957 as a way to catalyze NOX in the exhaust system. You can do some research for yourself to understand the impact of diesel engine emissions on the environment. I for one do not want our cities to look like Beijing. ..or like our big cities once did. So when someone asks for opinions about modifying the exhaust systems on these trucks, it is unfair to villainize those who have an informed opinion about the impact on the environment. This is actually more important to me than what it will do or not do for YOUR engine. Read this also:

Selective catalytic reduction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Health and Environmental Impacts of NOx - Nitogen Dioxide - Reports - Research Library - XRTLAB

BEIJING:
http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/@api/deki/files/8385/beijing_smog.jpg?size=bestfit&width=420&height=315&revision=1

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
There is far too much information out there that is not political for any one of us to be uninformed about why these environmental regulations have evolved. Laws to reduce NOX and other pollutants in the US atmosphere go back to ~1971.

I have children and grandchildren that i pray will have better air to breathe than this:

Manhattan Smog Photos 1966 - Business Insider

YES I DO have an opinion that I WILL share about removing emission management equipment from these trucks. AND YES when you ask an opinion about this on this forum you will probably always hear some of this. SO consider ALL aspects when making your decision about whether to remove EGR/DPF!

#33 · (Edited by Moderator)
Regen, and DEF smells worse than sulpher!

:thumbsup:I sure all the smog stuff is nice, feel good feelings. Personally, EPA could care less, then just want their cut..period !! (remember only 6% of EPA staff were needed to be fully fuctional during the shutdown, the other 94% have to find ways to justify their funding, EPA stated this)

I would like to recover all that fuel being wasted for a 20 min cycle while EPA crap is kicking in. I thought saving fuel or less consumption would be better for the environment? I know my mileage drops 10MPG during this unnecessary time period, both mechanically measured and through the console. I noticed nobody here has mentioned just how BAD that DEF smells coming through ours pipes either?

I have kids too, they have far more to worry about..👍

#34 ·
It isn't just the general environment that is improved. With my old 7.3, starting it on a cold morning and running it long enough to get the windows cleaned would leave the front of the house and garage smelling like diesel exhaust for a couple of hours. The new truck smells like it is running on propane and the smell goes away immediately. I'll keep the system as long as it continues to function.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.