1,017 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Can't we all just get along - Rodney King

·
Registered
305 Posts
Not necessarily my political beliefs. Just another perspective and source(legitimate) of information to assimilate. Environmental protection and regulation is a very sensitive issue that does get caught up into political battles. I guess as I age, i start to look more at how i impact the people, places and things around me. ... not as emotionally connected as i once was to only believe what serves ME.... and i never would have foreseen me being like this 40 years ago! Calling BS is one thing, please do as i have and post some additional information for us to 'assimilate' and dialogue about

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I've owned a pre-dpf, dpf-only, and now a dpf/scr diesel truck... While I don't like the fact I could be getting better MPG - I do like the fact I can breath when the truck is running. My exhaust tips are just as shiny as day I picked the truck up. I can't even say that about ANY of my gas vehicles. Much less my pre-DPF era diesels.

The other day I was outside in the yard when an old Ford gas truck turned the corner by my house. I almost gagged at the exhaust smell. It was a pre-Cat year truck too. We have come a long way in terms of vehicle emissions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interested to know more information here as well. So far this one hasn't been real informational. We have pros: potential improved gas mileage, power and longevity of engine. Cons: may be bad for the environment and voids your warranty. Any other information? To me the pros far outweigh the con(s). As for air pollution, I feel that businesses and other man made pollutants/chemicals have far more to do with it than cars do. Ever see a smoke stack from a factory? How many diesel trucks do you think it would take to produce as much exhaust as that thing does in one minute?! This doesn't count big rigs and medium duty trucks that see way more road time than my truck does, produces a bit more exhaust and they will still have their DPF/DEF systems. How about oil spills in the ocean? Planes dumping jet fuel? Nuclear meltdowns? Regular nuclear bomb testing in the 50s? I'm sure we're still not seeing any side effects from these kinds of things though. The little bit of CO2 my truck may produce from removing these things will have little to no impact compared to these other events. With cleaner fuels and oils used in these new engines (synthetic oils mostly now with some containing very little to no petroleum), it's "carbon footprint" has reduced quite a bit just with that. I'd like to see some more pros and cons here if there are any to add.

·
Registered
839 Posts
what size carbon footprint do all the producers of the smog equiptment needed to go on cars and trucks make?, it would be interesting to find that out i think

·
Registered
484 Posts
/Rant on/

Personally, I'd rather put $1800 into a clean tune and something like an EA-DPF than into deleting a DPF. I'd rather spend money on fixing the problem than avoiding it. But until someone comes along with an after market fix or Ford actually "fixes" active regens ... we'll continue to see folks protecting their investments in diesel trucks. I like clean air and good engineering. I don't see how you can have one without the other.

/Rant off/

·
Registered
11 Posts
,11 F-350 Chassis Cab, wt. 12,000#. While towing a little single axle 3,600# trailer from Indy to Denver, I was experiencing "DPF clean" every 100 miles!!
'Love the clean diesel smell, wondering what would cause that much soot build up?
Any thoughts on removing/power washing DPF? Can it be removed permanently w/out a programmer? ...thank you...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had my 2014 F350 DRW fully deleted at 1000 miles and love it. H&S tuner with cold air intake. No more adding fluid, sounds great and no more lag when pushing the peddle down. I only have 4000 on it now since only used to pull my camper. Gained additional 2 mpg (12) towing, but should be a lot more dependable for the long haul. Performance shop in Durham did the delete and very happy with their work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Following

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Come on people. You are worried about these new trucks cluttering the air??? For the low percentage of us that drive a diesel pickup in the world; think about all the old dump trucks and simi's that roll a ton of black smoke. That's never going to change in my life time and I am in my 30's. Also the people that can't afford to drive nice cars that burns more oil than gas. Do you ever go to one of them and state your case about the clean air??? The EPA wants to outlaw wood burning stoves. Do you think that is a good idea too?? I have a 2006 diesel that is deleted and a 2012 that is not. I hate seeing the message for cleaning the exhaust. Having my truck shutter when that is happening sucks. What if my wife is pulling the horses to a show and it shutters when she is pulling out into traffic and she gets hit by another car. I would have wish my truck was deleted at that point. I just get tired of hearing about the EPA. They are trying to screw us just like the rest of the government. We never had all the issues with diesels until the emissions crap started.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Being in your thirties, you missed the days of brown skies, choking at the crosswalk on your way home from school.

I'm not going to debate all the actions of the EPA or the government in general...but I will say its nice to see blue when I look up, and not cough as I wait for the "walk" sign to light up. I'm in my late 50's, grew up with leaded gas and paint.

Reactions: SkiSmuggs

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm all for doing my part for the environment. But what I find interesting is, people talk like we live in bubbles. I live in California with some of the strictest emission laws, and they are talking about raising are gas tax up to $1.30 a gallon on 1/15 to offset credits the state has been giving large companies for their emissions/carbon footprint. Some counties in Cali don't require smog checks on diesels. So my point about the bubble is, if each city, county, state, or country for that matter is not doing the same thing, none of it will matter in the long run. For example. If the guy in San Diego has to smog his diesel and keep his emission crap on his truck, but the guy just south of him in Mexico does not, wouldn't they just offset each other. It's not like the dirty air from Mexico can't come across the border. I think all of this is more about collecting more money for the states and the Feds, otherwise why would California be talking about raising our gas tax $1.30 a gallon January 1, 2015. Where would this money be going. No one seems to know. Just like the .10 we pay for plastic grocery bags here, no one including the merchants collecting the .10 have any idea where this money goes.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
All the blue sky in the world won't help when you're stuck in a 4 lane intersection with a horse trailer.

You are dang right. I would feel good knowing I could see blue sky when another truck smashes into my truck at a 4 lane intersection. My last few breathes would be clean air. Ha ha. I just take the haze in the sky and a little black smoke and live on brother.

However, I do think it is stupid how 1 or 2 counties in a state do smog test and the rest don't. Makes no sense. That's like wiping before you poop!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Coming from an LA kid that grew up with the stage-2 & 3 Smog Alerts in the 80's. I'd never want that to return, but our emissions policies are very short-sighted! Billions of Chinese are making more pollution in a day than Diesels without DPF's have ever done! (think about it.....manufacturing with loose standards....transportation across the seas....general society....etc) That being said....NASA did just announce the ozone layer grew 4% in the last 10 years! Get ready for an ice-age, and another speaking-tour for AlGore!:sick:

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
NASA did just announce the ozone layer grew 4% in the last 10 years! Get ready for an ice-age, and another speaking-tour for Al Gore!
That would mean he will have to go in the REVERSE order of his global warming tour.

41 - 60 of 198 Posts