The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, guys. Im somewhat new to the sight. This forum comes highly recommended by my brother and friends.
I had my 2014 6.7l deleted a couple of years ago. Done by a ford tech at his home garage. Went with H&S mini maxxtuner. Everything runs great as far as that, but since then, I’ve had a strange (and very random) problem. Probably 6 or eight times over the last year, my instrument cluster shuts down. All instruments in the dash go blank. Sometimes it all comes right back up, sometimes I’ve run it for a few miles and it eventually boots back up. If I shut the vehicle off, while the instruments are shut off, it will not restart. It eventually bots back up and starts after I wiggle the group of wires under the dash and/or disconnect/reconnect the CAN bus. If I continue to run the truck, it runs rough but will continue to run. The only light that stays on in the dash, is the gear shift indicator. Seems like random gremlins are running around in there.... lol.... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any ideas on where to start? I’ve popped the CAN bus off, cleaned up those 3 terminals, and put some di-electric grease on them. Problem still persists on occasion.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Sounds like a ground issue, or worse the harness has rubbed into a bracket and is getting grounded. Get a strong flashlight, and some Tylenol and crawl up under and inspect the entire harness.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
The most common concerns related to the cluster involve network failures what cause a loss of some systems functionality and typically multiple warning indicators and warning messages display in the cluster. From your description it sounds more like the instrument cluster is shutting off completely? That would suggest a power or ground issue theoretically. If you think this is network related, 2014 trucks had issues with HS-CAN circuit pin fit in the connector secured just above the parking brake actuator. Often setting the parking brake and releasing is remedies the issue. Try that the next time the cluster goes out and it might help zero in on the fault.

Also, Motorcraft "Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound" (or equivalent) is not intended for use as a general electrical grease because "dielectric" means that it is an electrical insulator. It is best suited for high heat, high energy connections like ignition components such as spark plug boots and distributor caps. While if there is a good metal to metal mechanical connection it may work just fine. A more appropriate product is Motorcraft Electrical Grease - Part number XG-12 which lubricates connectors and protects connector metals from oxidation, corrosion and terminal fretting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts