The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there hearing a humming noise after the pickup is warm? I am wondering the exhaust filter cleaning system is running when it shouldn't be. I have 49k and it just started doing this in the last thousand miles. Once it is warm you can turn it off and when you start it back up the humming resumes. Any advice/info would be great!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anyone out there hearing a humming noise after the pickup is warm? I am wondering the exhaust filter cleaning system is running when it shouldn't be. I have 49k and it just started doing this in the last thousand miles. Once it is warm you can turn it off and when you start it back up the humming resumes. Any advice/info would be great!
Go underneath and see if it's coming from your mid frame filter. Mine started buzzing and 2 dealerships told me it was OK. I Changed the filters and noise went away, it was the filter causing a restriction I am sure.

Mark

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I concur that the filter may be starting to restrict. Typically with air in the system you will hear the noise up in the engine compartment coming from the secondary filter. It is important when changing the filter at the DCFM to replace the o-ring with the one supplied with the new filters and lubricate the o-ring or the sealing surface on the cap with clean engine oil. Also it is a good idea to remove the water drain while you have the cap off, gently clean it and the cap and assemble it with a little clean oil on the o-ring there as well. Those drains tend to get sticky at times. An o-ring that sticks can stretch or roll and not provide a perfect seal possibly allowing air to enter the system albeit a very minute amount, that is all it takes to create the noises associated with air.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I've had this happen, the oring even with oil can bind and stretch and roll. I tighten the cap, loosen just slightly and retighten it. That seems to help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2011 (22k) has just started to hum with I high pitch during first start up and it moves it's way from the engine compartment down to mid-truck. It is getting worse as the weather gets colder.

Any thoughts on what is causing this?

Thanks,
T~

·
Registered
879 Posts
This is an SSM on some noises that can occur.

44238 2011-2014 - F-Super Duty - 6.7L - Diesel Fuel Conditioning Module (DFCM) Vibration/Buzzing/Growl
Some 2011-2014 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.7L diesel engine may exhibit a vibration/buzz/growl noise from the DFCM and/or low pressure fuel lines. If the noise is experienced when the fuel level is at or below 1/4 tank, this is a normal characteristic and is due to slight amounts of air entering the fuel system during low fuel level conditions. No repairs should be attempted. Fuel system and vehicle durability as well as vehicle drivability and distance to empty (DTE) are not affected. If the noise is occurring with the fuel level above 1/4 tank, follow Pin Point Test MA in the on-line PC/ED to diagnose the low pressure fuel system. The DFCM should not be replaced for audible noises until the fuel filters have been replaced and the system reevaluated.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 16-OCTOBER-2013

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
buzzing noise

This is an SSM on some noises that can occur.

44238 2011-2014 - F-Super Duty - 6.7L - Diesel Fuel Conditioning Module (DFCM) Vibration/Buzzing/Growl
Some 2011-2014 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.7L diesel engine may exhibit a vibration/buzz/growl noise from the DFCM and/or low pressure fuel lines. If the noise is experienced when the fuel level is at or below 1/4 tank, this is a normal characteristic and is due to slight amounts of air entering the fuel system during low fuel level conditions. No repairs should be attempted. Fuel system and vehicle durability as well as vehicle drivability and distance to empty (DTE) are not affected. If the noise is occurring with the fuel level above 1/4 tank, follow Pin Point Test MA in the on-line PC/ED to diagnose the low pressure fuel system. The DFCM should not be replaced for audible noises until the fuel filters have been replaced and the system reevaluated.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 16-OCTOBER-2013
I'm getting a buzzing noise resonating through my tailgate when idling in park.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Happened to a buddy of mine if you have money and or are due to change a filter soon do it if not try to see what's cause a clog or something that could cause a restriction

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Had my truck at the Dealer. They eliminated the fuel system as causing the buzzing noise. They found that it will stop if you put pressure on the tail pipe with your foot or disconnect the exhaust hanger near the tail pipe. They made some adjustments to the exhaust system which helped some what but did not eliminate the buzzing. They checked the torque of the bed mounting bolts and on the tail gate step. The dealer didn't find any bulletins on this and is in touch with the Ford Hotline to figure out the next step. I will post another update after I hear from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Had my truck at the Dealer. They eliminated the fuel system as causing the buzzing noise. They found that it will stop if you put pressure on the tail pipe with your foot or disconnect the exhaust hanger near the tail pipe. They made some adjustments to the exhaust system which helped some what but did not eliminate the buzzing. They checked the torque of the bed mounting bolts and on the tail gate step. The dealer didn't find any bulletins on this and is in touch with the Ford Hotline to figure out the next step. I will post another update after I hear from the dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
6.7 HUM mystery solved in my case

Had the same problem on my 2012. It would randomly start humming after warming up and occasionally do it after shutdown. Found out through a FORD diesel mechanic friend of mine there was a TSB on my particular issue. Waste-gate control solenoid vacuum lines are hard plastic from the factory and the solenoid resonates through them creating the "hum" The warranty TSB on my truck was to change the lines out to rubber lines. Took about two hours at a local dealer " friend was the mechanic who is awesome ". No problems since. hope this helps anybody with the same issue because it drove me crazy trying to find the noise for the last 40k. Including changing the fuel filters

·
Registered
34 Posts
RACER

Had the same problem on my 2012. It would randomly start humming after warming up and occasionally do it after shutdown. Found out through a FORD diesel mechanic friend of mine there was a TSB on my particular issue. Waste-gate control solenoid vacuum lines are hard plastic from the factory and the solenoid resonates through them creating the "hum" The warranty TSB on my truck was to change the lines out to rubber lines. Took about two hours at a local dealer " friend was the mechanic who is awesome ". No problems since. hope this helps anybody with the same issue because it drove me crazy trying to find the noise for the last 40k. Including changing the fuel filters

·
Registered
2 Posts
hum after filter change

Changed frame rail filter on 6.7l powerstroke at 18k miles and a humm now comes from filter. Will check o-ring and report back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hum after filter change

Replaced both fuel filters on 2012 powerstroke 6.7l at 18k miles. Hum came from frame rail filter. Turned out that 2 full turns were needed to tighten it up. Next time I will grease the o-ring because it felt tight before it was fully threaded. There is a definite stop to let you know you've hit the end of the threads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I concur that the filter may be starting to restrict. Typically with air in the system you will hear the noise up in the engine compartment coming from the secondary filter. It is important when changing the filter at the DCFM to replace the o-ring with the one supplied with the new filters and lubricate the o-ring or the sealing surface on the cap with clean engine oil. Also it is a good idea to remove the water drain while you have the cap off, gently clean it and the cap and assemble it with a little clean oil on the o-ring there as well. Those drains tend to get sticky at times. An o-ring that sticks can stretch or roll and not provide a perfect seal possibly allowing air to enter the system albeit a very minute amount, that is all it takes to create the noises associated with air.
I hae a 2016 F250 and it just started to make this humming sound today. I can hear it inside and outside the cabin. Any info on what this could be would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
6.7 fuel pump hum

I have a 2013 550, parked in a garage from 2013 to 2017 with 500 miles on it, started driving it to pull trailers during a move. At about 17K, (2019) the fuel pump under the driver started humming, at times, very loud, with vibration. Usually happened after I drove for 20 min or more, happened every drive at some point. If I would shut it off, then turn the key on, it was still there, scary loud. About 3 weeks ago, I was topping the truck off with fuel for another trip at home. I drove about 50 miles, then stopped where I always do to check the trailer hubs for heat and everything else. I noticed I forgot to put the @#$% fuel cap back on! I put a spray paint can cap on it, taped it in place and figured I'll get another one at the destination as it was all interstate driving. Anyway, I started thinking about it during the trip, and I realized the loud hum is gone. Didn't come on the whole trip. Once home, I ordered stant locking caps. I have installed the cap and in 3 weeks, no hum or vibration at all at any tank level. The old cap was the OEM cap. I don't know what was happening, but I'll bet it had to be a pressure thing. Maybe the old cap was not venting correctly. Maybe the pump was creating a negative pressure. All I do know for sure is, the pump has not made a noise since. I never got any check engine lights and have not changed the fuel filters yet, next oil change. I wanted to pass this on, the new cap was $7.50 on amazon, of course I bought spares. I will get the tether, for some reason, didn't come with one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts