The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 7.3 and I know that they are expected to last a long time and many, many miles. I was wondering what I could expect If I dropped the 50 grand or so, for a new 6.7

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
TLHort on here has 195K or so. There was another post on here for a guy with 167K and his motor let go.
I'd like to here from anyone who has more than that. 200K plus.
Posting less than 200K miles is not noteworthy when the question is about longevity.
The trucks have been on sale 32 months so maybe we have some road warriors like TLHort with 200K and more can let us know how Ford's new diesel is stacking up against the 7.3.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I would think 200k is very doable. with the drivetrain warranty on the 6.7 good for 100/5 yrs, if all is well and maintained very good, why wouldn't it go 200k? If the head gaskets don't go, or tranny clutches dont' give out could be a piece of cake.

I do see too many electrical/programming/ECU type issues that regardless of the mechanicals of the truck, are its limiting factors these days. Fuel system contaminations, DEF programming/signal issues, etc...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Does anyone know, how many miles Ford built this engine to last? 225000,250,000? I would think anything less than 250 for a diesel would be ridiculous.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am pretty sure I read a post a while back from Corey that said they are tested to 250K. Not sure how much that says though, the 7.3 was probably tested to less than that and they can definitely go longer than that if maintained properly

·
Registered
253 Posts
When researching mine before I bought I read an article somewhere that Ford ran its test mules to 200K mostly trouble free.

As a normal owner it is miles/time. 200K in 2 years has got to be easier for the truck than 200K over 10 years if you ask me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a bumper-bumper warranty from Ford that says my 6.7 will go 200k without a breakdown or the repair bill belongs to Ford!:yesnod:

·
Vendor
1,940 Posts
Ford does NOT offer a "Bumper to Bumper" 200k mile warranty. If it's a Ford plan what you were sold was Diesel Care. Hopefully you got the Diesel Care Plus as the standard plan doesn't cover a whole lot.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Bobby what kind of warranty problems are you guys seeing there at Sunrise Ford on the 2011-2012's 6.7?

Anything problems we should anticipate?

Thanks

·
Vendor
1,940 Posts
Bobby what kind of warranty problems are you guys seeing there at Sunrise Ford on the 2011-2012's 6.7?

Anything problems we should anticipate?

Thanks
As a VERY high sales volume Super Duty dealer and being located on a major interstate (I10) we tend to see more trucks than most dealers.

I personally have delivered/sold OVER 400 of the new 6.7L PSD's and to be honest, the return to service after sale is VERY VERY slim compared to previous model years. As a matter of fact, our diesel techs, 14 of them currently here, plus their helpers, are truly afraid for their jobs. Most of the 6.0L's are out of warranty now and are taken to non-dealer shops and the 6.4L PSD's are not breaking as often as the 6.0l PSD's. It's just so odd to walk down to the diesel department, which consists of 25 or so bays, and see it somewhat empty....

As far as major repairs, IIRC, we have done (2) engines on pickups and (4) engines on chassis cabs (valve issue). One of the engines was replaced due to an oil leak, yes, an oil leak and the other one was replaced due to a connecting rod bearing failure that we determined was over torqued at factory. We just did our 1st transmission last week and the truck had just under 100k miles on it. I don't recall exactly what the failure was, but something internal came apart and was making a noise. We have also done a few turbos, maybe 4/5.

Of course we went through the NOX sensor failure spell and have done a few DEF tank pump/sensor replacements.

All in all, the 6.7L PSD has proven VERY well. I have a few commercial customers that have broke the 200k mark and the trucks are still going strong.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW Guys Thanks!

I didn't know all that about these trucks. If you have seen my sig then you know I have a 7.3 (and with ONLY 135 K.) I was wondering if it would be best for me to sell it to some deserving soul and get me a new truck. BUT at 50 to 60 grand I was wondering if it would be worth it? My old truck is very comfortable. BUT these new ones are .....GREAT

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
When they dropped the manual transmission option, they dropped any new Ford from my wish list forever. The transmission will be the limiting factor for mileage. I doubt many will ever see 200k miles. Better off keeping the 97.

·
Registered
90 Posts
WOW Guys Thanks!

I didn't know all that about these trucks. If you have seen my sig then you know I have a 7.3 (and with ONLY 135 K.) I was wondering if it would be best for me to sell it to some deserving soul and get me a new truck. BUT at 50 to 60 grand I was wondering if it would be worth it? My old truck is very comfortable. BUT these new ones are .....GREAT

i would hang on to the 7.3 as long as i could

·
Registered
73 Posts
a transmission going does not total a vehicle and decide when the entire thing is junk

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't get the love for the manual trans....the new autos are leaps and bounds above any stick. Not to mention 200k isn't out of the question for an auto trans nowadays.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recently just turned 80k on my 2011 and previously had a 7.3L with a manual. I do a fair amount of towing and I do miss my 7.3 from time to time just because of the fun factor and how it sounded straight piped. But I will admit, the 2011 is much more comfortable to tow with over long distances and over all has a much nicer ride while towing.

A few people have commented about the transmission. In my '99, I had to replace the manual transmission at 185k due to an internal failure of some sort. Since it was getting replaced, I had the clutch replaced with a South Bend at the same time. At 350k mi, the engine and transmission still seemed to be going strong, but the rest of the truck started wearing out and the cost of repairs and getting stranded out of town twice for repairs was ultimately what lead me to start looking for a newer truck. Don't get me wrong, the '99 was an excellent truck and if I just needed it for around town driving and casual towing, I probably would have held on to it.

At first I was really hesitant about buying a truck with an automatic for towing since I had always driven a manual. But it really didn't take long to get used to the automatic and using tow haul mode and now I actually prefer it when driving through construction zones or rush hour city traffic. The only thing I miss about having a manual is just the fun of driving one.

So I have 80k on the truck and so far (knock on wood) the only issues I have had with is was the shift flare issue, NOx sensor issue and one bad tank of DEF fluid. Both the shift flare and NOx sensor issues were resolved via TSB's at no charge and the bad tank of DEF cost me $120 to have the tank drained and refilled.

I use Mobile 1 5W40 on a 6k oil change schedule and change the fuel filters every other oil change on a 12k schedule. I can usually get 5k out of a tank of DEF and active regens are usually 800 to 1000 miles apart. I think this is due to the amount of highway driving I do versus city driving. I do notice active regens happen more often when I do more city driving or more shorter driving trips where temps do not get high enough for passive regens.

I usually tow between 8k to 10k lbs and average 11.5 to 12.5 mpg hand calculated @ 70 mph. Terrain is mainly what affects my fuel mileage or winter blend fuel. Unloaded around town, I usually average 16 mpg and unloaded highway is usually 18.5 mpg. This is all hand calculated using an app called gas chubby on my iPhone.

After 80k I can honestly say I am very happy and pleased with this truck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ford does NOT offer a "Bumper to Bumper" 200k mile warranty. If it's a Ford plan what you were sold was Diesel Care. Hopefully you got the Diesel Care Plus as the standard plan doesn't cover a whole lot.
Bobby...what is the MSRP of the FORD Diesel Care Plus? And how does one get extended care for the rest of the drive components?

·
Vendor
1,940 Posts
Bobby...what is the MSRP of the FORD Diesel Care Plus? And how does one get extended care for the rest of the drive components?
The MSRP for the Diesel Care Plus is $3,000.00

1 - 20 of 65 Posts