The Diesel Stop banner

6.7L longevity...How many miles do you have and what is expected?

445K views 73 replies 50 participants last post by  jdanielm1 
#1 ·
I have a 97 7.3 and I know that they are expected to last a long time and many, many miles. I was wondering what I could expect If I dropped the 50 grand or so, for a new 6.7

Reactions: HoustonTrimIII
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
TLHort on here has 195K or so. There was another post on here for a guy with 167K and his motor let go.

I'd like to here from anyone who has more than that. 200K plus. Posting less than 200K miles is not noteworthy when the question is about longevity. The trucks have been on sale 32 months so maybe we have some road warriors like TLHort with 200K and more can let us know how Ford's new diesel is stacking up against the 7.3.

#72 ·
TLHort on here has 195K or so. There was another post on here for a guy with 167K and his motor let go.
I'd like to here from anyone who has more than that. 200K plus.
Posting less than 200K miles is not noteworthy when the question is about longevity.
The trucks have been on sale 32 months so maybe we have some road warriors like TLHort with 200K and more can let us know how Ford's new diesel is stacking up against the 7.3.
The MSRP for the Diesel Care Plus is $3,000.00
i have a 2006 with 225,000 and it is going strong. Well maintained and regular oil and filter and fuel filter changes. Used mainly highway driving.

#3 ·
I would think 200k is very doable. with the drivetrain warranty on the 6.7 good for 100/5 yrs, if all is well and maintained very good, why wouldn't it go 200k? If the head gaskets don't go, or tranny clutches dont' give out could be a piece of cake.

I do see too many electrical/programming/ECU type issues that regardless of the mechanicals of the truck, are its limiting factors these days. Fuel system contaminations, DEF programming/signal issues, etc...

#24 ·
Not sure what year you have, but my '12 has 5 years/60k on the powertrain---3/36 BtB---5/unl on corrosion.

Hope I have better luck out of this one than I had out of my 99 7.3. Except for the torque converter, the transmission and engine were the only things that didn't cause trouble. Sensors, front suspension, bearings, rear end, AC, injector harness, etc, etc; and it only has 120k on it. The trouble started with the TC just after the warranty of 3/36 ran out.

#5 ·
I am pretty sure I read a post a while back from Corey that said they are tested to 250K. Not sure how much that says though, the 7.3 was probably tested to less than that and they can definitely go longer than that if maintained properly

#6 ·
When researching mine before I bought I read an article somewhere that Ford ran its test mules to 200K mostly trouble free.

As a normal owner it is miles/time. 200K in 2 years has got to be easier for the truck than 200K over 10 years if you ask me.

#12 ·
As a VERY high sales volume Super Duty dealer and being located on a major interstate (I10) we tend to see more trucks than most dealers.

I personally have delivered/sold OVER 400 of the new 6.7L PSD's and to be honest, the return to service after sale is VERY VERY slim compared to previous model years. As a matter of fact, our diesel techs, 14 of them currently here, plus their helpers, are truly afraid for their jobs. Most of the 6.0L's are out of warranty now and are taken to non-dealer shops and the 6.4L PSD's are not breaking as often as the 6.0l PSD's. It's just so odd to walk down to the diesel department, which consists of 25 or so bays, and see it somewhat empty....

As far as major repairs, IIRC, we have done (2) engines on pickups and (4) engines on chassis cabs (valve issue). One of the engines was replaced due to an oil leak, yes, an oil leak and the other one was replaced due to a connecting rod bearing failure that we determined was over torqued at factory. We just did our 1st transmission last week and the truck had just under 100k miles on it. I don't recall exactly what the failure was, but something internal came apart and was making a noise. We have also done a few turbos, maybe 4/5.

Of course we went through the NOX sensor failure spell and have done a few DEF tank pump/sensor replacements.

All in all, the 6.7L PSD has proven VERY well. I have a few commercial customers that have broke the 200k mark and the trucks are still going strong.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
WOW Guys Thanks!

I didn't know all that about these trucks. If you have seen my sig then you know I have a 7.3 (and with ONLY 135 K.) I was wondering if it would be best for me to sell it to some deserving soul and get me a new truck. BUT at 50 to 60 grand I was wondering if it would be worth it? My old truck is very comfortable. BUT these new ones are... GREAT

#15 ·
WOW Guys Thanks!

I didn't know all that about these trucks. If you have seen my sig then you know I have a 7.3 (and with ONLY 135 K.) I was wondering if it would be best for me to sell it to some deserving soul and get me a new truck. BUT at 50 to 60 grand I was wondering if it would be worth it? My old truck is very comfortable. BUT these new ones are .....GREAT

i would hang on to the 7.3 as long as i could

#14 ·
When they dropped the manual transmission option, they dropped any new Ford from my wish list forever. The transmission will be the limiting factor for mileage. I doubt many will ever see 200k miles. Better off keeping the 97.

#43 ·
let me guess, you need to 'flip' your phone open to answer a call. lol.

I think you will have no problem enjoying the new heavy duty trannys. They are as, at this point, as good as what your used to. But I respect your reluctance.

#16 ·
a transmission going does not total a vehicle and decide when the entire thing is junk

#18 · (Edited)
I recently just turned 80k on my 2011 and previously had a 7.3L with a manual. I do a fair amount of towing and I do miss my 7.3 from time to time just because of the fun factor and how it sounded straight piped. But I will admit, the 2011 is much more comfortable to tow with over long distances and over all has a much nicer ride while towing.

A few people have commented about the transmission. In my '99, I had to replace the manual transmission at 185k due to an internal failure of some sort. Since it was getting replaced, I had the clutch replaced with a South Bend at the same time. At 350k mi, the engine and transmission still seemed to be going strong, but the rest of the truck started wearing out and the cost of repairs and getting stranded out of town twice for repairs was ultimately what lead me to start looking for a newer truck. Don't get me wrong, the '99 was an excellent truck and if I just needed it for around town driving and casual towing, I probably would have held on to it.

At first I was really hesitant about buying a truck with an automatic for towing since I had always driven a manual. But it really didn't take long to get used to the automatic and using tow haul mode and now I actually prefer it when driving through construction zones or rush hour city traffic. The only thing I miss about having a manual is just the fun of driving one.

So I have 80k on the truck and so far (knock on wood) the only issues I have had with is was the shift flare issue, NOx sensor issue and one bad tank of DEF fluid. Both the shift flare and NOx sensor issues were resolved via TSB's at no charge and the bad tank of DEF cost me $120 to have the tank drained and refilled.

I use Mobile 1 5W40 on a 6k oil change schedule and change the fuel filters every other oil change on a 12k schedule. I can usually get 5k out of a tank of DEF and active regens are usually 800 to 1000 miles apart. I think this is due to the amount of highway driving I do versus city driving. I do notice active regens happen more often when I do more city driving or more shorter driving trips where temps do not get high enough for passive regens.

I usually tow between 8k to 10k lbs and average 11.5 to 12.5 mpg hand calculated @ 70 mph. Terrain is mainly what affects my fuel mileage or winter blend fuel. Unloaded around town, I usually average 16 mpg and unloaded highway is usually 18.5 mpg. This is all hand calculated using an app called gas chubby on my iPhone.

After 80k I can honestly say I am very happy and pleased with this truck.

#21 ·
SO so far the only real good advice that I have is to "Keep my 7.3 as long as possiable". It is a comfortable truck..And I love it!! SO what you are saying is that yall don't know the longevity of the 6.7 engine or tranny past 200,00?

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
I guess you should keep it then... what tranny will go past 200k on a consistent basis without some type of rebuild? Very few people will be able to put 100k on a truck a year. Since this engine/tranny has only be out 30 months only time will tell. It's looking great so far though. What I can tell you, it is 3x's the truck/engine/tranny that the 7.3/4eod was, but miles and time will be the determining factor.

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
Cummins has always used B50 rating and IH built Ford engine ratings have been B10. B50 gives a higher number as it is when 50% of the engine will be expected to require substantial repair (overhaul) and B10 is 10% requiring that same level of repair.

Has Ford listed a B10 or B50 number for the 6.7 or are you using the "tested to 250K" printed in some articles?

#30 ·
My 2011 F450 pickup has #200,000 with no motor or transmission problems (apart from the chronic DEF sensor issues) at all in what I would consider heavy service. All those miles are towing at 80-100% boost pulling a long tall trailer combo. I haven't had any of the transmission issues discussed here, my only large failures have been in the Dana rear axle which apparently cannot take the continuous thrust of the 6.7 over long periods. I recently replaced my 450 PU with a 2012 F550 CC, and the power loss makes me very sad......

#31 ·
I'm curious as to how you logged 200k miles in just 2 years; that's about 9k each month for 24 months. Are you a long haul driver?

#32 ·
I'm waiting for the most anticipated new 2014 rumored to have a 8sp automatic, also getting rid of the too long shortbed we have now and having a 3ft long bed. Long bed will be 3ft with an option for a 1ft long bed. GVWR will be 12,000+ pounds so you can load up the 3ft bed, or put a 3ft long camper on and hope your family members are midgets. Also have stock 24" wheels with 2" of rubber above the aluminum for optimum damage protection to the wheels from the possibility of hitting a 1/2" diameter piece of balsa wood possibly encountered. Gotta love this new world in trucks!

#39 ·
What the hell did you just say? Your post makes NO sense. The sarcasm doesn't even work. My truck will out pull, out last, out comfort your old school truck. Your truck was the best of it's day. I owned one. But the new trucks far out class the 1990's trucks by multitudes. That is if I am reading your post accuratly. It is any body's guess.

#35 ·
ron I have to ask how did a guy like you ever upgrade fron stone hammers to computers, since the all the "old ones" were SO much better. maybe a 99 is too new for you, go back to a model A or T. those dang electric starters just are not as reliable as a crank in the grill

#37 ·
It was my two year anniversary in August, My dealer sent me out an email with a really cheap oil change offer as a tickler to get me to stop by. So this week I took advantage of the cheap oil change and stop in at the dealer. I got to know my service writer very well over the past 12 years with my 7.3L and two 6.0L trucks. So I stopped by his desk and visited with him

This dealer, like Bobby's above, moves a lot of trucks. The board up on the wall list 8-10 certified diesel techs. But when I walk back into the shop area, I see a few 6.4L trucks in the bays and no 6.7L's. Talking with the service writer, He is telling me the same story as Bobby recounted above. 6.0L are out of warranty, so folks are taking to the shops with cheaper rates, and the 6.7L just are not coming back for any problems. Their shop business is focused on 6.4L market right now.

I feel bad for the few folks that have had ongoing problems. It's frustrating to pay for a new vehicle and have problems. It's why I quit buying GM and starting buying Fords back in the 90's. I think most owners are having a great experience with the new powertrain.

#38 ·
Same here. I go to the highest volume PSD dealer in Denver, they do nothing but PSD and larger. Garage is loaded with 6.4s that are getting long in the tooth. They still see quite a few 6.0 because if ambulance contracts, etc. They just did their first 6.7 motor on a cab and chassis last week, the truck ate a valve. Done a few turbos and a few transmissions, but he is actually shocked at the low number they see compared with the others. Ford has sold over 500K of these trucks, 2 people complaining doesn't make a problem.

#40 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I just said all new trucks have the stupid automatic transmission, and all have big stupid wheels with no rubber and stupid short bed, Could it get any more stupid? We can only hope, so my vote goes for the 3ft bed to go with current trends with an option for an even more stupid 1ft long bed.

This is hard to understand and my post makes no sense? I'm all for a 12,000 lb gvwr and can tow 50,000 lbs. Who cares if you have a 3 ft bed you can't put a lawn mower in, and rated to tow 50,000 lbs and the transmission lasts 7000 miles? Wonderful. I made the mistake of buying this 97 with the stupid, stupid auto and have paid the price for 16 yrs. You guys? I don't envy you with this new 6 speed, so the sarcasm. Sorry, I just can't imagine why anyone would want another automatic after all these years. Nobody has any common sense in this world?

#41 ·
I love my 6 speed. Smooth and puts the power down in the right gear when need be. I can choose what gear I want to be in or lock out upper gears to not allow them to be used if desired.
It doesn't hunt around and feel lost like my dodge diesel tranny did.

The short bed is the same length short bed they have sold for eons. If you want a long bed buy one. Maybe I'm missing something ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.