The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
think i may have found a low mileage older 7.3 from a bus. wondering what parts are different from my 6,9? thnks

· Registered
1,744 Posts
The outside parts being differant are the pan, exhaust manifolds and maybe the oil cooler rear header. The parts inside the motor are the same except for the pistons. Heads wont cross over but crank, cam and rods will.

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I THOUGHT THE HEADS WHERE THE SAME
whats the diff?
and whats the diff on pump and injectors?
whattabout the oil cooler?

· Registered
1,850 Posts
The heads on the 7.3 are drilled for larger headbolts.

More fuel for the larger volume.

Oilcoolers on the E and F series are different, they may have made a different one for busses.

· Registered
76 Posts
If Someone was to machine the 6.9L block for 9/16 head bolts, wouldn't the 7.3L IDI heads work and be better? I hear they have better air flow characteristics. If this works, then it would be a good way to stop the black smoke that all 6.9L's manufacture. I've never compared them side by side, so let me know your knowledge anyone!

· Registered
2,734 Posts
It's been my observation that properly set up 6.9's and 78.3's smoke about the same. What your suggesting would probably work, but you wouldn't gain anything, as the 6.9 and 7.3 heads are the same airflow wise. It is the pre chambers which are different, and because the 7.3 glow plugs are off center, I don't think it was really an improvement. 6.9's start much easier by comparison.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.