The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and will appreciate any help or advice anybody has. I've got a 1984 F-250 with a 6.9 idi (stock) and noticed there was water/coolant leaking from the fan belts. It's not really clear where the leak is coming from as the fan sprayed it all over the place. Any ideas on whether that would be the radiator or water pump? I didn't notice any leaks from the hoses and the leak seemed to be further back than the radiator. Is it typical for a water pump to leak when it goes bad?

Thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
The water pump has weep hole on the bottom behind the pulley. When the shaft seal starts leaking coolant will come out the weep hole... and can get thrown all over the place by the belts and fan.

From your description I suspect it is the water pump. FYI, replacing the water pump isn't hard but you MUST pay attention to the details. It matters which bolts go in which bolt holes, and some of the bolts need to have the threads sealed as the are exposed to engine internals and can create leaks if not sealed.

I'm not home right now to reference which bolt holes... there are many how to's on this and other forums.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts