The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Board:

I just purchased a 2000 F250 PSD with the 6-speed manual transmission. I've done some snooping around but couldn't find any direct comparisons between the two. Seems like most trucks around here are automatics.

I've found that they 6-speeds have ~25 more horsepower/torque but that's about it. With my experience from previous manual vehicles I was just assuming it's slightly more reliable (less parts), lighter weight (less parts again), and gets slightly better fuel mileage.

Am I correct in my assumptions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
As far as more durable, no doubt. Fuel mileage depends on how you drive it.

·
Super Moderator
26,499 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
With my experience from previous manual vehicles I was just assuming it's

slightly more reliable (less parts) <font color="red"> Possibly, but they do fail. Pilot bearing has reportedly taken out the input shaft gears, and mine died when the OTW cooler failed an mixed coolant with the ATF. But I've heard of a lot more stock auto tranny's failing. </font>

lighter weight (less parts again) <font color="red"> Not necessarily. The ZF-6 is a BEAST, you sure won't be able to bench press it. </font>

and gets slightly better fuel mileage. <font color="red"> Maybe. I think that depends more on your driving style. It would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of otherwise identical trucks. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I just like to DIY when it comes to shifting. You are right that there are LOTS more auto than "standard" trannys. More people either don't want to drive a stick, (or can't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif), and so auto's are what the manufacturer's build. I had to look pretty hard to find mine.

Welcome to TheDieselStop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
yup.
4 main complaints with 6 speeds.
the clutch puck will randomly toss its springs, meaning you can't get cltuch to disengage. When it goes, switch to southbend or Luk.
pilot bearings get chowed. when you replace the clutch, put a plastic pilot bushing in.

clutch pedal is hard to hold in. luk and southbend fix this.

clutch is a PITA in traffic. Nice on the road, great towing, but suck around town.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I thought about getting a hand shaker when shopping for a PSD.

I wound up with an auto. The only auto I own.

I love having just 2 pedals! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
If MPG is important, the 6 speed rules. All else being equal, the 6 speed will get an additional 2 MPG over the automatic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts