The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently replaced radiator and it has trans coolant lines running to it. This confuses me because I thought that was just for automatics. Truck is a 99 f350.

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
I was hoping one of the standard owners (Kevin!) would chime in. I remember reading a write-up for a bypass filtration system for this standard. It would appear there must be a fluid pump if that is so, and I guess running it through a pre-existing cooler seemed like a good idea. Can you get under the truck and trace the lines - on the auto they're easy to trace back to the side of the transmission.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
2 lines from it to the radiator. So this thing has a separate pump just for the trans? Go figure that must be why they recommend regular transmission fluid then gear oil in it. Either way it's probably safe to say I lost some fluid when I did the radiator switch. I need to check those levels out pronto.

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't really even remember this transmissions factory name. I looked all into it when I first got the truck, because it needs a rebuild soon. I never saw a separate fluid pump mentioned.

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
It's OK, RT, I'm here!! :lol:

The ZF-6 has a lobe type pump on the front of the countershaft (It's like a mini LPOP). Fluid is pumped from the bottom fitting to the tranny cooler in the radiator, then back to the upper fitting on the tranny.

A filter isn't a bad idea. I have a Magnefine filter Magnefine 3/8 Inch Magnetic Inline Transmission Filter plumbed in on the line from the tranny before it gets to the cooler. When you cut the line for the short hoses to install the filter, be sure to use a double flare tool and upset the end of the line so the hose won't slip off. I destroyed a tranny when that happened. Dumped all the fluid out and ate up the mainshaft.

One item I noted on your link is the location of the PTO cover. It's on the driver's side of my tranny, not the passenger side.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad I thought of the missing trans fluid. The transmission has held 2qts now. Still room for another. Dunno how many quarts that old radiator held but I'm guessing possibly 3

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Glad I thought of the missing trans fluid. The transmission has held 2qts now. Still room for another. Dunno how many quarts that old radiator held but I'm guessing possibly 3
How many miles since the last time it was drained?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I heard people say it makes no difference on here, but from my recent experience I'm gonna have to say that Lucas has made my transmission shift much smoother. Added 2 quarts. Feels like easier power shifting and down shifting without clutch.... My 2 cents. I'm having a much more enjoyable ride with less grinding on my high mileage transmission.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts