The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the planning stages of installing a 2000-03 7.3 powerstroke
zf 6 speed 4x4 into a 2008 F450 6.4 powerstroke 5r110 4x4. I have read many posts about such a swap and the difficulties involved. Please do not use this post as a continuation of swap pros and conns, or personal preference's on re-powering the 6.4 powerstroke. The mechanical part of the swap looks straight forward and I don't feel it needs to be discussed, at least at this time. But the electrical part is the real core of the project. Which is why I am here seeking answers from more experienced members who have been around the 6.4 and its sensor functions.

Some say to remove the complete 7.3 wire harness from the donor truck and replace the 6.4 harness. As I see this, the 7.3 will run, but a pile of other needed or convenience features of 6.4 the will be trashed. I believe the solution of the problem is to run two ECM's. Use the 7.3 ECM to run the 7.3 engine and the 6.4 ECM to run the body and all its features.

How do we fool the 6.4 ECM to think it is hooked up to a "Phantom 6.4 Engine" so that all the trucks functions work? What if we manipulate the sensors to return the normal signal the 6.4 ECM is looking for? Its being done all the time with the emission delete kits. Why not just expand that to every engine sensor. We are not using the 6.4 ECM to run the engine or tranny so what ever it's output signals are who cares. Along as it doesn't throw codes, because I would think the 08 dash cluster would function. The 7.3 dash cluster and OBDII port could be tucked away under the 08 dash.

I do see some potential issues with the Camshaft Position Sensor needing to send signal to the 7.3 ECM for engine operation and the tach on the 6.4 gauge cluster. Can they share the signal and be driven from the same CPS? If not could a 6.4 CPS be installed to get its signal from another location?

I believe cruise control would need to function from the 7.3 ECM and need to see the speed sensor. The Speed sensor would also need to be seen by the 6.4 gauge cluster. How can we work around that?

I welcome your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
15,126 Posts
I look forward to your results. I really hope it works. Since this has been perfected using Cummins engines, I would follow their model. They seem to use the 6.4 ECM for everything. I agree you need some way to get it to control the 7.3 RPM for cruise and accelerator position. I would suggest calling Jody at DP-Tuner and maybe someone at dieselconversion.com. There has to be a way to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I'm certain that you have already obtained permission from your local emissions inspector to make this swap. You wouldn't have come this far without that I'm sure. I only mention it because often times people read these threads a few years later to get ideas for their projects, and I would hate for someone to think about starting this type of project without first obtaining permission from their local emissions inspector. Of course, even if one emissions inspector approves it, they could well be overruled later by a different inspector or a supervisor.

Here's a quote from the experts on the subject, dieselconversion.com, "For states with emissions inspections, the general rule is to go with an engine of the same year as, or newer than the implant truck. Check with your local emissions inspector for specific laws that apply to your project."

Blog - Cummins Engine Information

But it apparently has been done successfully at least once by using the 7.3 wiring harness and completely rewiring the entire vehicle.

7.3L motor swap into a '09 F550

1 - 3 of 3 Posts