The Diesel Stop banner

7.3 exhaust question

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  DENNY 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a 7.3 excursion. Stock exhaust but the cat has been removed. My father has a 7.3 same year and we are both running the same tune. His will black out the road and mine is fairly clean burning with a lite haze at wot. The only thing done to his is a bigger fuel pump a intake kit and a 5 inch exhaust. My truck is completely stock besides the tune and cat being removed. Is what is done to his truck and the fact mine has a muffler enough to make it not smoke at all?

#2 ·
There is practically no way for a muffler to affect smoke levels. Smoke happens with unburned fuel. Overfueling or an air restriction. He needs to find out which problem he has. He should be trying to get his to quit smoking - not you trying to make yours roll coal.

#3 ·
I agree with RT. What year truck are we talking about. Why did he get a bigger fuel pump (you are talking about the one under the frame rail correct?). are you sure you are both using the same tune? turner? Denny

#7 ·
Sooooooo, now we have the rest of the story!! Ya think the fuel might have something to do with it?
DENNY

#9 ·
I dabbled in used oil back when diesel was approaching $5/gallon. What I found was the longer chain components didn't completely burn and seemed to coat the internals of the exhaust. Then, even when running on diesel, if I had to get on it which led to heating up the exhaust, it would smoke the oil out. I wonder if that's what you are seeing.

#10 ·
The problem is you are only giving us small bits of info at a time, and changing the story along the way. First you leave out the part of running use oil, then you say you don't know how much, then he has not run it for 2,000 miles. If you want good advice we need to know as much as possible. Millage on the trucks/year/type of chip/settings you are running,ECT, for both trucks. DENNY

#11 ·
I’m sorry, I just typed stuff as I remembered it. As it’s been awhile since he had most of the stuff I’ve told you about done. Probably close to 7-8 years now. My truck has 345k and his has 415k. I believe my truck has had two injectors go out before and his is still on every single factory injectors, I’m not sure if that could have anything to do with it but worth mentioning. That’s about all I can remember right now

#12 ·
A clogged intake filter could easily cause more smoke, as it would restrict the amount of air available for combustion of the fuel.

#13 ·
What kind of chip/programer are you using and how many programs are on it? DENNY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.