The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a rebuilt set of heads, for a 1988 7.3. ......anyone have a good set, reasonable? my local machine shop doesn't seem to want to do a valve job on mine, says cost could be as much as $800. Is this the usual?

· Registered
542 Posts
OUCH,for $800 you can nearly buy 2 brand new heads!!!I paid $150 this last time for a total R&R of both my heads.The First time was $100 a year ago and now it was a wopping $75 a head for Pressure check,Facing,weld any cracks,seats cut,rocker surface faced and trued,Bead blasted exterior and a warrentee.Alabama Cylinder head exchange.

· Registered
12,232 Posts
I can only advise, see your local IH dealer for rebuilts. There are tons of rebuilt heads out there and rebuilders which aren't worth the time of day.

There are specific minimums in head thickness, valve face depth and valve stem height that come into play. An American Engine Rebuilder's Association shop will have all the correct info required to do a good job.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
Check Ebay for Clearwater Cylinder Heads in Clearwater Florida. They have new and rebuilt heads. The new ones are $375.00 each and the rebuilt are less than that. They have a wab site but I don't have it. Not hard to get in touch with them. Dieselcast Welding is also another place that sells new and rebuilt heads. They are located in Portland Oregon and Minn. Good luck hunting....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.