The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have owned a 1993 7.3 IDI Factory Turbo F250 4x4 now for over 10 years. The mods I will discuss below have been done for years and 10's of thousands of miles so I feel I have some good data for discussion.

I will summarize the following, many of you will know what I am talking about, if more info is needed I will try to answer.

1. Exhaust: I cut the factory exhaust pipe right behind the cab, installed a turn-down pipe and have been running NO muffler for years. It is NOT noisy. The engine noise is still higher than the exhaust note as the turbo muffles it. Essentially I have an infinite diameter exhaust system from the rear of the cab back. I do not understand buying 4" or 5" systems when most of the pipe can be eliminated altogether. I left the original turbo housing and factory downpipe intact.

2. Injection Pump: Fuel Limiter screw turned up ALL THE WAY. The screw under the little plate on the pump is a FUEL LIMITER and does not effect steady-state mileage whatsover UNLESS you put your foot in it. Rather than have a mechanical setpoint limit my fuel flow I choose to let my right foot do it. Short bursts of acceleration around town do not raise the exhaust temps above about 900 or 1000 (It spikes so fast I doubt the gauge can react fast enough nor is any damage occuring to any engine parts because the parts do not get a chance to heat up significantly). On the highway on grades, I keep it under 1100 degrees although I could go higher simply by pressing the go pedal. I am the Decider, not the pump. I am still on the original pump and have used Stanadyne in it for years.

3. Boost max at 11 psi. No problems from running this boost for several years.

4. EGT gauge installed on left bank of cylinders PRE turbo. No problems with probe breaking off, etc.

5. Chicago Rawhide Scotseals on the rear axle--NO problems, from installation in 1999, I wrote an article it is here somewhere on how to install them. 60,000 miles no leaks.

6. Silicone brake and clutch fluid since 1999. I have been running this DOT 5 fluid in most of my vehicles since the 1980's. There is/was alot of misinformation about this fluid, in my opinion it is the perfect brake fluid, withstands high temps, does not attract moisture and does not hurt the paint.

7. I have kept the radiator cooling fluid checked all these years and lately last several years run the FleetGuard pre-mixed red stuff with the additive already in it.

8. The oil pressure gauge in these trucks does not have a pressure sender. It has an on-off switch that moves the gauge mid-scale. I converted mine to a real gauge and wrote an article here years ago how to convert it.

9. I run about 3000 miles between oil changes and have used Rotella 15W40 all these years. I use about a half-quart of oil in 3000 miles.

10. I have never gotten above 15.5 miles per gallon on this truck, it has never changed either pre or post mods.

Flame suit NOT on since I have the hard data to prove the mods I have done....

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
The screw on the pump is a GOVERNOR and does not effect steady-state mileage whatsover UNLESS you put your foot in it.
No it's not. The governor in an injection pump does nothing other than limit maximum RPM and in most applications idle speed. The exception would be a variable load governor, but that's a different ball game---dozers, graders, etc.

The external screw at the back of the pump is the torque screw and the one under the plate is the max. fuel adjustment.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
No it's not. The governor in an injection pump does nothing other than limit maximum RPM and in most applications idle speed. The exception would be a variable load governor, but that's a different ball game---dozers, graders, etc.

The external screw at the back of the pump is the torque screw and the one under the plate is the max. fuel adjustment.
yup------agreed

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It is a MAX FUEL limiter (governor) I used a poor word, probably should have used Limiter, it limits the Maximum amount of fuel that can be delivered. Original post revised above, thanks.

And I AM talking about the fuel max screw adjustment under the plate, sorry for any confusion, not RPM limit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
^^^^Same here!

Hey Rusty, is there an external fuel screw on the back of the turbo injection pump? What does it do? I may be messing with it later today.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
8. The oil pressure gauge in these trucks does not have a pressure sender. It has an on-off switch that moves the gauge mid-scale. I converted mine to a real gauge and wrote an article here years ago how to convert it.
FWIW, in the E series it's a gauge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have owned a 1993 7.3 IDI Factory Turbo F250 4x4 now for over 10 years. The mods I will discuss below have been done for years and 10's of thousands of miles so I feel I have some good data for discussion.

I will summarize the following, many of you will know what I am talking about, if more info is needed I will try to answer.

1. Exhaust: I cut the factory exhaust pipe right behind the cab, installed a turn-down pipe and have been running NO muffler for years. It is NOT noisy. The engine noise is still higher than the exhaust note as the turbo muffles it. Essentially I have an infinite diameter exhaust system from the rear of the cab back. I do not understand buying 4" or 5" systems when most of the pipe can be eliminated altogether. I left the original turbo housing and factory downpipe intact.

2. Injection Pump: Fuel Limiter screw turned up ALL THE WAY. The screw under the little plate on the pump is a FUEL LIMITER and does not effect steady-state mileage whatsover UNLESS you put your foot in it. Rather than have a mechanical setpoint limit my fuel flow I choose to let my right foot do it. Short bursts of acceleration around town do not raise the exhaust temps above about 900 or 1000 (It spikes so fast I doubt the gauge can react fast enough nor is any damage occuring to any engine parts because the parts do not get a chance to heat up significantly). On the highway on grades, I keep it under 1100 degrees although I could go higher simply by pressing the go pedal. I am the Decider, not the pump. I am still on the original pump and have used Stanadyne in it for years.

3. Boost max at 11 psi. No problems from running this boost for several years.

4. EGT gauge installed on left bank of cylinders PRE turbo. No problems with probe breaking off, etc.

5. Chicago Rawhide Scotseals on the rear axle--NO problems, from installation in 1999, I wrote an article it is here somewhere on how to install them. 60,000 miles no leaks.

6. Silicone brake and clutch fluid since 1999. I have been running this DOT 5 fluid in most of my vehicles since the 1980's. There is/was alot of misinformation about this fluid, in my opinion it is the perfect brake fluid, withstands high temps, does not attract moisture and does not hurt the paint.

7. I have kept the radiator cooling fluid checked all these years and lately last several years run the FleetGuard pre-mixed red stuff with the additive already in it.

9. I run about 3000 miles between oil changes and have used Rotella 15W40 all these years. I use about a half-quart of oil in 3000 miles.

10. I have never gotten above 15.5 miles per gallon on this truck, it has never changed either pre or post mods.

Flame suit NOT on since I have the hard data to prove the mods I have done....
Dam ... plethora of knowledge. Been servicing my 93 E350 7.3 idi since I got mine in mid 2016 ...first diesel.Has a Banks the OG owner had installed with a Trans command ...Banks Gauges and Tran Temp ...Injector Fuel Flow Valve ? My van Hesitates under load cruising ....7lbs only max load on side winder turbo ? Can I put a fan blade upgrade in a rebuild kit for better boost ?...like a fuel starve . ? Wondering if I Should Turn UP the Flow ? And if i do can I leave the Stock Injectors ? I have a missing Vacuum Line at Heat core ...no idea where it goes ...and wondering if it's a vacuum issue causing hesitation or surge ....What Do U Recommended for Aftermarket Parts Manufacturers ??? Standard ...Dorman ?. Who's good when it comes to these Older Fords we can't find parts for..Been learning more all the time as a back yard mechanic on this rig and gettin fd over by shops I been learning more and more and keep her goin when I learn. Learning been comes when the f u

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
Probably won't get an answer, his post is from 2008.

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
You post right here and if people have a helpful answer or consider a question worth answering they will.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts