The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to start my grandads old 1991 f250 but i noticed what i believe to be the timing advancement on the right side (looking from the front) of the injection pump does not move when the throttle is moved, in fact the arm that pushes it bends if the throttle is forced, is that something i can force to move with some oil/very light hammering or would that require a pump rebuild?

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
That's the light load advance piston and assembly. By the way you describe it, sounds like the pump needs some major surgery.

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
I'm a retired heavy truck/diesel mechanic, not an injector pump guy, but I'd say no.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well didn't try driving without it. But did put it back together with some jb weld and zip ties to get her home. The reason it broke was because the rolling collar on it had to much wear on it and it was to small so the screw holding it on was get caught and putting it in a bind, not sure if you can buy replacement for that but I made one from a nut I grounded down to make it round. So if the Piston on the bottom moves then that might be the problem for you.

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
Yeah, it doesn't say in any maintenance or shop manuals, but it's wise to hit the cam, rolling collar with a little oil ever year or two. When I had an IP shop overhaul my IP years ago he showed me the wear on them from lack of any lube.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts