The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 1992 F250 7.3 IDI non turbo. I just bought this spring and initially in the cold weather (NY) she always started no problem. Now that it’s hotter out she has trouble hot starting. Cold starts on a dime no problem but after a medium length drive and I shut her off. I have about 20 minutes to start her again or she won’t start for about an hour when the glow plugs click over. Any ideas? Injector pump? Glow plug controller?

·
Premium Member
14,687 Posts
I'm not an IDI expert, but I've seen a few suggestions to pour cool water over the pump and see if that lets it start. If so, the pump is deemed bad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I have a 1992 F250 7.3 IDI non turbo. I just bought this spring and initially in the cold weather (NY) she always started no problem. Now that it’s hotter out she has trouble hot starting. Cold starts on a dime no problem but after a medium length drive and I shut her off. I have about 20 minutes to start her again or she won’t start for about an hour when the glow plugs click over. Any ideas? Injector pump? Glow plug controller?
Mine just started having this problem as well. I've asked on a couple other forums. Have you figured out the issue yet?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
It sounds like you will be needing to rebuild your injector pump, because it isn't putting up the pressure to pop the injectors when it is hot. A way to get it to start is like RT said try pouring tepid water over it, they usually shrink up enough to build the needed pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts