The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced injection pump, glo plugs, starter and batteries. When I get in to to start the truck, the wait to start light flashes on for a second, and goes right off. I can the glo plugs cycle, but the truck will just sit there and crank. is the glo plug controller burned out or what? Iv'e even tried plugging the truck in about 45 min before starting to try and warm it up, but resulted in the same thing.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sounds like you might have multiple issues. First, if your GPs are good the WTS light should stay on for about 10 seconds when the engine is cold. Check the wiring and the relay. Second, even without the GPs, the engine should have started when warmed by the block heater. Was it actually warm? Have you bled the filter and supply lines to the IP? Is the lift pump working properly? Have you checked for air intrusion on the return side? Are you sure the fuel shutoff solenoid is working correctly? Ditto for the timing advance and high idle solenoids. Is the timing set correctly?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
45 minutes probably isn't enough time to warm it up. Most posts I read talk about 2 hours. I left mine plugged in for an hour when it was 50 degrees ambient and the head wasn't much warmer when I laser temp checked it.

If the WTS light is going out in 2-3 seconds, It sounds like you have one or more bad GP. Using an OHM meter you should get 2-3 ohms from the connection to ground. test light- clip to (+) of battery and tip of tester on connection of GP. Light is good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed it

It turned out to be the GP controller, put it in today WTS light stayed on for 10 sec and it fired right up. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
37 Posts
i just replaced 6 of my glow plugs did a test but the gloew plug controller clicks for about 10 seconds after the wts goes off what would be the issue for that??? i replaced glow plugs thinking it would be that but im thinking it is the controler it sits right by the turbo ami correct or where would it be

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
If you have the factory turbo set-up then yeah the GPC is mounted on the P/S valve cover. My WTS light will light for about 12 seconds and then I can hear "clicking" as long as it takes me to start the truck. Then the wonderful noise of the IDI drowns it out!! Next time just watch the volt meter, and you'll notice that it will bounce for up to a minute as the GPC cycles the GP's to aid in warm up. NORMAL!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts