The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the neutral safety switch replaced, and the gear shift column bushings replaced, the gear shifter is properly tightened sometimes the truck will start sometimes it won't. When it won't start I have to put it in neutral and push it forward a couple of feet and then put it back into park and usually then I can get it to start. When I say it won't start I mean it won't even tick. Everything turns on power to everything it just won't go until I've pushed it forward a couple of feet in neutral and then put it back in park or leave it in neutral and it will crank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
o motor de arranque do meu camiao roda muito lento,ja troquei as duas baterias por novas com mais potençia e os cabos electricos estão todos em condições ,e o motor não pega

·
Premium Member
14,863 Posts
When it won’t start, put a voltmeter on the starter solenoid small wire and see if you are getting voltage. Pushing the truck back and forth shouldn’t matter with an automatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JerryS123456

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When it won’t start, put a voltmeter on the starter solenoid small wire and see if you are getting voltage. Pushing the truck back and forth shouldn’t matter with an automatic.

Why would it sometimes do that by pushing it like it's making something engage.

·
Premium Member
14,863 Posts
Maybe moving the shifter around maybe? With a manual, if the starter was stuck engaged, potentially it could disengage it. With an automatic, there is no engagement with the drivetrain when the truck isn’t running.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for not clarifying earlier this is a 2002 automatic transmission f250 7.3 sd. I guess I will have the starter solenoid checked when I get a day off. I didn't figure it would be the cause, because it either gets power or does not.

·
Premium Member
14,863 Posts
Right. I’m not suspecting the solenoid. There is a possibility the starter isn’t retracting all the way. My neighbor’s 02 does this. I have to slide under it and rap on the starter then short the small terminal to the positive lug to crank it. Seems to have gotten better with fresh batteries, but still occasionally happens. If it isn’t getting voltage, then we have to look at the pathway to the solenoid- like starter switch and neutral safety switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right. I’m not suspecting the solenoid. There is a possibility the starter isn’t retracting all the way. My neighbor’s 02 does this. I have to slide under it and rap on the starter then short the small terminal to the positive lug to crank it. Seems to have gotten better with fresh batteries, but still occasionally happens. If it isn’t getting voltage, then we have to look at the pathway to the solenoid- like starter switch and neutral safety switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well the neutral safety switch has been replaced so we'll have to see what else...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not solenoid or starter. Neutral safety switch replaced. Gear shifter bolts are tight, bushings in column replaced. Still getting no crank at all unless, I Put it in neutral get out and push it forward so that it rocks back-and-forth a few inches then put it back in park and it will start.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So every few years or so I have to replace a solenoid or two and once in a great while the starter itself, if putting the vehicle in neutral and turning the key doesn't work I listen for the solenoid on and the firewall to click as I turn the key, if there's clicks but nothing else then i go to the starter if it starts from powering the solenoid on the starter itself I replace the starter

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So every few years or so I have to replace a solenoid or two and once in a great while the starter itself, if putting the vehicle in neutral and turning the key doesn't work I listen for the solenoid on and the firewall to click as I turn the key, if there's clicks but nothing else then i go to the starter if it starts from powering the solenoid on the starter itself I replace the starter
What if just rocking it forward a few inches in neutral, then put it in park gets it started?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Makes sense to pull the starter and inspect look for burn marks lose corroded or dirty connections at starter solenoid. I'm guessing the solenoid on the starter is getting stuck engaged. And not releasing.

·
Super Moderator
25,864 Posts
I had a starter fail in the Customs line going back into the US from Canada. Was able to short power to the starter twice to get it going, but the third time I tried it the starter motor just spun and didn't engage the flywheel. Fortunately I have a manual tranny and could push start it with a little help from an incline.
I'm guessing your starter needs to be rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
So a bad starter would produce silence when turning the ignition?
A bad starter or no power getting to starter will result in no activity. Your description of having to rock the truck suggests an issue with the NSS (possibly bad out of the box...always use Motorcraft) or the issues mentioned previously (assuming your 12V system is operating at 100%).

Your rocking the truck is similar to getting underneath and hitting the starter with the wood handle of a hammer to free up the solenoid.

Also what was mentioned above, check all your connections for good contact, good grounds and nothing loose.

This issue is only happening during cold start and not after its been running and recently turned off?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No rhyme or reason to this. New nss, new column bushings, selector screws lock tited in place... I find I have to Put it in neutral put it back up into park do that a few times and it will crank like it's not going into park all the way I don't know what it is. Sometimes it will crank in neutral sometimes it won't.

·
Super Moderator
25,864 Posts
Maybe the ignition switch is intermittent. There are 4 separate circuits in it, and maybe the contacts for the start circuit are burnt. The test would be to check for the voltage on the small wire on the starter relay on the fender (if it's a 99-01 truck - if 02 or later it will have a bosch relay in the fuse panel that does that function). Try the ignition switch multiple times and if you get voltage, and then no voltage, then voltage again, you should replace the ignition switch.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe the ignition switch is intermittent. There are 4 separate circuits in it, and maybe the contacts for the start circuit are burnt. The test would be to check for the voltage on the small wire on the starter relay on the fender (if it's a 99-01 truck - if 02 or later it will have a bosch relay in the fuse panel that does that function). Try the ignition switch multiple times and if you get voltage, and then no voltage, then voltage again, you should replace the ignition switch.
What a patick mission switch not getting bolted still turn everything on work to windows the Winchell wipers the radio the power locks everything works when I turned the Ignition except for the engine I don't even get a tick.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry I'm driving and using talk text trying to work with me on those words I think I can understand what I'm trying to say if the Ignition is badd why does everything turn on still when I crank the addition or when I turned the Ignition

1 - 20 of 25 Posts