The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I own a 2000 F350 7.3 SRW. Last summer, June-August of 2020, I was getting around 16-18 mpg. I even pulled a small boat 300 miles and only went through half a tank.

The problem is, recently it seems like my mileage is much worse. A month ago, I was maybe getting 10-12mpg. I changed the ICP sensor, and that definitely helped for a while, maybe 14-15mpg. Tho now it seems like its coming back down. Would the ICP go bad that fast? Its the Ford motorcraft one. I did not replace the wiring, just the sensor.

Are there any other possibilities? If so, would they have codes associated with them so I could rule them in/out? Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
You haven't mentioned the type of driving you're doing (i.e., Highway, town, mountain passes, etc..) ? Any engine mods you are aware of?

When I purchased my stock 1999 F250 SD 7.3L back around 2002, I made regular trips across the mountains from Eastern to Western WA. About a 5 hour trip each way to visit my boat at the coast. At that time, it was nothing to see around 19 mpg. Constant speed on the freeway, not hauling or pulling a load. Just me and sometimes one other in the cab. Nowadays, I can still get close to 19 on a similar road trip, but certainly not around town or short distances...

Vern

·
Registered
8 Posts
You haven't mentioned the type of driving you're doing (i.e., Highway, town, mountain passes, etc..) ? Any engine mods you are aware of?

When I purchased my stock 1999 F250 SD 7.3L back around 2002, I made regular trips across the mountains from Eastern to Western WA. About a 5 hour trip each way to visit my boat at the coast. At that time, it was nothing to see around 19 mpg. Constant speed on the freeway, not hauling or pulling a load. Just me and sometimes one other in the cab. Nowadays, I can still get close to 19 on a similar road trip, but certainly not around town or short distances...

Vern
...sorry, missed the part about 300 miles pulling a boat.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Winter fuel will drop the mpg usually 1or 2 mpg at most. Put some info about your truck in the sig block so we know what we are talking about. What part of the country?
DENNY

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Vern

I do mostly unloaded town and city driving. The truck has a hydra tuner that i keep in economy mode, a 5 inch straight pipe, and a big intake. Just rebuilt the tranny.

·
Registered
White '99.5 F250 SD XLT 4x2, 7.3PSD, 6spd, SuperCab, Short Bed - purchased Oct'05
1,541 Posts
How hard is it to repair or replace these screens?
I've not done it but I've seen several Youtube videos on the subject...
I have installed an AirDog system years ago, had to lower the tank. It's enough trouble that I would suggest freshening fuel tank hoses while under there. The stock connectors between the tank and the fuel pump were really misused by Ford, they are designed to work best under pressure not vacuum. As used they let air suck past the seal. And now they are just old.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've not done it but I've seen several Youtube videos on the subject...
I have installed an AirDog system years ago, had to lower the tank. It's enough trouble that I would suggest freshening fuel tank hoses while under there. The stock connectors between the tank and the fuel pump were really misused by Ford, they are designed to work best under pressure not vacuum. As used they let air suck past the seal. And now they are just old.

I had to drop mine and replace. A bit of a nasty job, but allowed me to eliminate the strainer in the tank, and replace with one in the fuel line next to the feed pump (located on the frame rail). I also mounted an electric oil pressure gauge in the dash (labeled 'Fuel') so I can monitor the feed pressure in real time. A scan tool and smartphone app can do the same thing... I'm guessing I got a bad/dirty batch of fuel, which pretty much caused massive loss of power. That 7.3 did some really bizarre things when starved for fuel.

Vern

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Dropping the tank really isn’t that bad, but I would think that if your screen cartridges were getting clogged up you would have other tell tale signs, loss/lack of power, etc.

Have you checked your EBP tube and sensor to see if they’re sooted up, that would cause a loss of mpg also, as well a heavy foot 😉

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
White '99.5 F250 SD XLT 4x2, 7.3PSD, 6spd, SuperCab, Short Bed - purchased Oct'05
1,541 Posts
Have you checked your EBP tube and sensor to see if they’re sooted up, that would cause a loss of mpg also, as well a heavy foot 😉
You should be able to test this by unplugging the EBPV actuator at the Turbo pedestal, see if mileage goes back up. It will display a code but no CEL, mines been unplugged for 16yrs without issue. make sure that the EBPV is in the full open position (default setting unless something's wrong with it).

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
You might check your tire air pressure.
Low PSI can cost you 1-mpg.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The EBP sensor & tube are separate from the EBPV in the Turbo pedestal.

So, the sensor sends a signal to the computer as opposed to passing voltage to the valve actuator? 16yrs ago I fixed my EBPV system so that it worked, then decided I wanted non of that. So, I unplugged the valve at the
Y-pipe connector and never looked back.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
If most of your driving is in town 15 mpg with winter fuel can be normal. How are you calculating you MPG? You have to do it by hand. The overhead readout is usually wrong and can be effected by chips/programers. Next time you do a road trip fill until you see fuel at filler neck (takes several min), drive at one speed at or under speed limit the entire time. Refill to top of neck when you pull off highway. Do math. That will give you a good handle on what fuel burn really is. DENNY

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
If most of your driving is in town 15 mpg with winter fuel can be normal. How are you calculating you MPG? You have to do it by hand. The overhead readout is usually wrong and can be effected by chips/programers. Next time you do a road trip fill until you see fuel at filler neck (takes several min), drive at one speed at or under speed limit the entire time. Refill to top of neck when you pull off highway. Do math. That will give you a good handle on what fuel burn really is. DENNY
Yes, small fill-ups can provide mileage numbers that are all over the map.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello everyone! I own a 2000 F350 7.3 SRW. Last summer, June-August of 2020, I was getting around 16-18 mpg. I even pulled a small boat 300 miles and only went through half a tank.

The problem is, recently it seems like my mileage is much worse. A month ago, I was maybe getting 10-12mpg. I changed the ICP sensor, and that definitely helped for a while, maybe 14-15mpg. Tho now it seems like its coming back down. Would the ICP go bad that fast? Its the Ford motorcraft one. I did not replace the wiring, just the sensor.

Are there any other possibilities? If so, would they have codes associated with them so I could rule them in/out? Thanks
I'm guessing you are now driving it more aggressively. My 01 will get 17 or 18 if I drive like a grandma. I hate doing that. Bigger tires a super tuner Front hubs locked in year-round and driving like a teenager it gets 8-9 mph. 5th wheel hooked up 5-6 but I drive it hard and fast. Love it. I would guess if I acted my age it would still get high teens. Mine is well cared for and has an annual visit to a trusted shop with do whatever it needs instructions. Life is too short to drive for mileage. Not sure that helps but?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts