The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has several post and I have read a lot of them just sort of kicking it out there again in my post instead of tacking it on to others.
I just bought a 99 F250 2wd auto with the 7.3.powerstroke with 98K miles on it.
I just came back from a 3000 mile trip with my 24 Foot car trailer. Approx. 8K pounds total. I was some what disappointed. I was told the 7.3 was the best motor. For that reason I kept looking and found a low milage truck. I have a 05 Excursion with the 6.0 and I think it pulls better. So I started looking at mods to improve fuel milage (10 MPG with the trailer) and power, It really struggled going up the Mountians of WV, I mean droping down to less the 50 MPH.
My research says exhaust first, 4" with no cat. Then a tuner chip. Was looking at a Stealth? Any suggestions? Comments?
TIA....

·
Registered
746 Posts
A good diagnostic of the current state of the engine should be done. Check the turbo for wear, all of the intake boots for proper sealing.
In general, when we say the 7.3 is a very good engine, it's more about its durability. Each generation of PS has more torque and HP than the one before it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A good diagnostic of the current state of the engine should be done. Check the turbo for wear, all of the intake boots for proper sealing.
In general, when we say the 7.3 is a very good engine, it's more about its durability. Each generation of PS has more torque and HP than the one before it.
Thanks. I assume with the low miles on the truck most things would not be worn out yet, IE Turbo. I have checked all the hoses and clamps and they are all in good shape. I have a shop that works on Ford Diesels a few hours from here that i have used in the past. Next time i go near them I will have them check the turbo and presure check the inner cooler. Thanks.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Making your own leak tester is pretty easy, and since most of the seals are rubber based and can get old, it's a good idea to check. Also, it doesn't take much of an OOPS to mess up a turbo. Very simple to check for blade health and shaft play. Look in the FAQ section here...there are a lot of good threads on maintenance and improvements there, including how to use FORScan and an OBD2 dongle to read the engine diagnostics, including codes that won't trigger a CEL.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I know this has several post and I have read a lot of them just sort of kicking it out there again in my post instead of tacking it on to others.
I just bought a 99 F250 2wd auto with the 7.3.powerstroke with 98K miles on it.
I just came back from a 3000 mile trip with my 24 Foot car trailer. Approx. 8K pounds total. I was some what disappointed. I was told the 7.3 was the best motor. For that reason I kept looking and found a low milage truck. I have a 05 Excursion with the 6.0 and I think it pulls better. So I started looking at mods to improve fuel milage (10 MPG with the trailer) and power, It really struggled going up the Mountians of WV, I mean droping down to less the 50 MPH.
My research says exhaust first, 4" with no cat. Then a tuner chip. Was looking at a Stealth? Any suggestions? Comments?
TIA....
I would go with the AIS first. Here's a link about it.

AIS Severe Duty filter system

·
Registered
267 Posts
Doing the basic three really wake the 7.3 up

Exhaust, downpipe and intake

Next step would be a hydra, then some better injectors, but the first 3 with a hydra will really wake it up, injectors are pretty expensive

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Don't forget the gauges. You will need to monitor the exhaust and transmission temperatures to avoid overheating with those mods. It's good to have boost gauge also. Take a look at some of the available gauges and pick the ones you like. Isspro is a popular choice.

Gauges - Ford 7.3L Powerstroke 1999-2003 | XDP

·
Registered
267 Posts
Don't forget the gauges. You will need to monitor the exhaust and transmission temperatures to avoid overheating with those mods. It's good to have boost gauge also. Take a look at some of the available gauges and pick the ones you like. Isspro is a popular choice.

Gauges - Ford 7.3L Powerstroke 1999-2003 | XDP
pfffft… the boost gauge is overated, I only need mine to keep from blowing boots up xD

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks. I assume with the low miles on the truck most things would not be worn out yet, IE Turbo. I have checked all the hoses and clamps and they are all in good shape. I have a shop that works on Ford Diesels a few hours from here that i have used in the past. Next time i go near them I will have them check the turbo and presure check the inner cooler. Thanks.
A stock 7.3 is slow as a turtle. You most likely have boost leaks at the up pipes and maybe boots/plenums also. The truck is 23 years old still, so just because it doesn't have high mileage doesn't mean there won't issues simply related to age. Make sure everything is in good shape and then do 4" exhaust turbo back, S&B intake, hydra chip, CTS3 monitor w/ EGT probe and it will feel like a completely different animal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok Guys. I have installed the MBRP 4" exhaust this last week, My Hydra unit showed up along with the CTS3 gauge set which I will install this weekend. My question is air Intake now. I see some have said AIS and others S&B. I checked into AIS and like it but I have a early 99, Build date of 6/98 which they said the kit will not fit. Any other sugestions?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Look at the donaldson filter. RiffRaff has them and it's a standard Truck filter with a lot of surface area.

Reactions: Luggs

·
Registered
192 Posts
AIS filter has been discontinued. Some dealers may have old stock though.

S&B filter would be my first choice though.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Look at the donaldson filter. RiffRaff has them and it's a standard Truck filter with a lot of surface area.
It's actually an air compressor filter. I see them on very low HP gensets too.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Do you still have the stock 3” down pipe? When I replace my up pipes that will be an upgrade on my list to reduce restriction. And an EBPV delete pedestal (or I will remove the valve and weld up the hole)

·
Premium Member
2000, 7.3, Zf6, 4" turbo-back, flow-thru muffler, PHP Hydra, IDM delete, EGT, Boost, H20
35 Posts
Ok Guys. I have installed the MBRP 4" exhaust this last week, My Hydra unit showed up along with the CTS3 gauge set which I will install this weekend. My question is air Intake now. I see some have said AIS and others S&B. I checked into AIS and like it but I have a early 99, Build date of 6/98 which they said the kit will not fit. Any other sugestions?
I'm trying to install a 4" downpipe on my 2000 7.3 with manual transmission. I folded the firewall seam back and the 4" still isn't even close to fitting. Did you put the downpipe in from the top (after removing the right intercooler pipe)? I'd appreciate know how you got the 4" in there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm trying to install a 4" downpipe on my 2000 7.3 with manual transmission. I folded the firewall seam back and the 4" still isn't even close to fitting. Did you put the downpipe in from the top (after removing the right intercooler pipe)? I'd appreciate know how you got the 4" in there.
I do not have a manual, but if I remember correctly (it was 14 years ago), I put the 4' down pipe in from the bottom with somebody up top to fasten it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts