The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been covered, but I do not find what I am looking for. My 99 SD Powerstroke 7.3 is getting weak and having a multitude of intermittent problems. I have a relative that has a Low mile T444E in an International that has been wrecked. Will the T444E fit in the 99 SD? What would be needed to make the transplant?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think it is preety much the same engine. its just international name for the 7.3. what part of easten iowa u live in . im from the NE part by Guttenberg.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have been told yes and no so I dont know who to believe.Try it.Measure up and compare.I know the PSD uses different electronics so that stuff would need to be changed,and I heard something about the heads being fed from the back(fuel) so that might interefer with the firewall.Try it and let us know,that has always been my plan for a replacement engine,better built and more torque.

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
The basic block and heads are the same. But there are a lot of differences in the tacked-on things.

PCM. Save the one from your old engine and connect it to the 444.

Fuel filter/water seperator. Save the one from your old engine and connect it to the 444.

Water pump. Save the one from your old engine and connect it to the 444.

I'm not sure about the engine fan clutch, but I suspect you'll need to use the one from the PSD.

If any other parts look even a tiny bit different (other than paint color), then I'd use the one from the PSD. Altenator? Starter?

I don't know about the tranny mating. I suspect you'll need an adapter if you want to use the 4R100 automatic tranny. Don't plan on using the tranny that's tied to the 444 engine, because the PCM won't support it.

Harry project. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in the heart of Cedar County about half way between Cedar Rapids and Davenport.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I worked in the schoolbus industry for a few years and dealt closely with international. in fact our parts supplier owned a psd and i turned him onto this site for the best info around. he told me that the front covers can sometimes be different so put that on your list of things to check for compatability.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The basic engine IS exactly the same, but as others have mentioned the "bolt-ons" are often very different.

Yes, the 7.3L PowerStroke IS the T444E, and yes ALL Ford diesels sold in the USA are made for Ford by International Truck and Engine Corp., and that has been the case for the last 15+ years.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I was lookin at the INternational WEbsite regarding the T444. They advertised a 10,000 mile oil change interval. This is wierd since Ford still recommends the traditional 3000 mile oil change. Granted, FOrd really benefits when you show up for an $80 oil change every few months. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
I belive the revs are limited to 25 or 2700 rpms on the T444E...where ours are limited to 3400. Another difference,,,

·
Registered
43 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I belive the revs are limited to 25 or 2700 rpms on the T444E...where ours are limited to 3400. Another difference,,,

[/ QUOTE ]

And thats why the oil change interval is longer
I,m guessing the ford pcm would up the rpm's though,just wondering outloud.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The F-650/750 version us a thinner head gasket do to the lower RPM and is not recommended for F-250-550 applications. Not sure if the Navistar verswion is the same

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The engine oil pan is different on the PSD, less capacity, due to the clearance issue on the Ford truck. If, I remember correctly, this is the reason for different oil change interval. hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about the tranny mating. I suspect you'll need an adapter if you want to use the 4R100 automatic tranny.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif
Smokey the block is the same block, why wouldn't the trans bolt up??? Think about it, just swap the fly wheel.

Take the T444E and use the LONG block and you will be fine. Remove everything bolted to the block and take them off the PSD. The only thing I am not sure of is the Injectors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

Wayne B

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are the motor mounts the same? My son bought one he thought but now not seeing the holes cast for the motor mounts? They had told him swap bell housing, oil pan and the front parts off his and should be a direct mount it was out of a wrecked ups truck. ... just curious.

·
Super Moderator
25,336 Posts
As long as the year model is the same, the engine should be identical. Your may have gotten an older model than his truck, and there would be some differences, as there are between 94-97 powerstrokes and 99 and up motors in Fords. Ford bought the 7.3L from International, and the only differences are minor bolt ons. The motor mounts that bolt to the block are specific to the truck the engine is installed in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts