The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
l have a 1995 f350 7.3 powerstroke. the other night it was 33 degrees out side and l did,nt have my truck plugged in
l tried to start my truck it would turn over but won,t start. l wround up running my battery down so l tried to jump it off. l turn the key on and off 5 times to get the glow plugs to heat up hopeing it would start but l wround up burning up my injector harness and the connector on the valve cover front driver side. l replaced the gasket and the 5 wire connector pretty sure l have the right wires connected now it will turn over but won,t start. what do l need to check. l am lost really need help. thanks

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
CEL on? Wait-to-Start light coming on? Oil level good? Cheers!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the truck was running great l got off from work went to start it up and it started then just cut off. turned the switch key on and off a few times but wround up running my battery down tried jumping it off but it would,nt start that is when l noticed the front driver side pigtail and connector was burnt together, l replaced the gasket and grow plugs and pigtail and i,m almost sure l hooked the wiring up don,t know what l,mright. but it still will not start. new oil and filter about a week ago.this is my first diesel and this is kicking my Butt. don,t know what l.m missing. can someone tell me whats going on. Thanks

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Big fuse for the fuel bowl heater may have let go. Can't think of the number just now, maybe number 22 or #9 in the box under the hood?

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
Start at the basics:

Are you getting the wait to start light on the dash?

Did you test the glow plug relay? How to is in the link in my first post.

Are you getting any smoke out of the tail pipe when cranking?

Is there fuel in the filter housing?

With all the cranking you have done check the oil level in the high pressure oil pump. There is a allen head plug on the top of it that you can remove. The level should be within 1"- 1/2 " from the top.

If you changed just one pigtail and even screwed up the wires it will still start.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes l am waiting on the start light to go out and l have oil in the high pressure oil pump but l haven,t checked the relay, l will be checking that in a moment. thanks l will let you know what l find.

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
Are the batteries back up to a full charge?

Can you plug it in for a couple of hours and then try to start it?

Is there fuel in the filter housing?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
batterys charged overnight and had it plugged in will check fuel bowl when l get home. also someone said that the icp could cause it not to start. how do l check this. thanks for all ya,ll help.

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
It could be the ICP, just unplug it and the PCM will use the default setting for it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
l will unplug the lcp and see do l leave it unpluggeg l opened up fuel bowl have half full and notice when l am trying to crank her there is very very little smoke coming out of tail pipe,

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
rayroof10 said:
Hey bugman l just want to thank you for your help on this, this is my first diesel and it,s a different ball game than a gas engine, you asked if l was getting smoke from tail pipe l notice today while trying to start it there was very very little smoke coming from tail pipe. and also the lcp that switch is behind the high pressure oil pump right, and do l leave it unplugged . thanks again
If you are getting smoke out of the tail pipe that usually means that you are getting fuel and that the injectors are firing.

Do you have a way to monitor the battery voltage when cranking the engine over? I believe that you need a minimum of 10 volts to get all the electronics to fire up. But it sounds like that is alright.

The low fuel has me wondering on the fuel delivery. So, test the fuel pressure on the shrader valve on the side of the filter housing when cranking. You should have around 30psi at the valve. You can use a pencil type air pressure gauge for this, just wrap it up in a rag or you might take a diesel bath.

Yes, just leave the ICP unplugged.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
while turning it over l notice l was,nt getting hardly any smoke from tail pipe you have to be right at tail pipe to see it. also is that the ICP or the IPR thats right behind the air compressor, l thought the ICP was down on bottom of high pressure oil tank at bottom front of fuel bowl because l removed the sensor behind the compressor and turned engine over but hardly any oil came out.

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
The ICP is on the front top of the drivers side cylinder head. The IPR is located down low where it is hard to get to.

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
I wouldn't just start shotgunning parts at it without knowing what is causing the no start.

Check the fuel pressure. If it is up to par then you are going to need to get a code reader on it that can read Ford's live data which usually means that you need to get a shop involved or use a phone with Torque App or a laptop with a program to read it such as Forscan or AutoEnginuity.

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
99% of the code readers out there will not read Fords codes. That is where you need a specific one that will read the codes and live data as the engine is running or cranking over.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts