The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1988 International Uhaul with a 7.3 IDI that has been sitting with fuel in it for ~10 years (ran great when parked lol).
It cranks fine and the glow plug light comes on. But it won't start/run.
My thought is to replace fuel/water sep filter,drain fuel tank, remove injectors, add fuel and crank until fuel squirts from injectors.
Does that sound about right? am I missing anything?
Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I'd change the oil, if anything will drain out. If you don't get much out, you can figure that there's a LOT congealed inside the engine, and it's not gonna run right, or for long, if you get it to run at all. Even if you get close to the capacity out, there's still probably some congealed inside the critical passages. I'd try to rig up some way of applying ~30~90psi of continuous oil flow to the filter nipple, withOUT running the engine, to try to flush most of that crap out. Some engine flush (I use Berryman's B12 pour-in for my gassers) would probably be good, too.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have a 1988 International Uhaul with a 7.3 IDI that has been sitting with fuel in it for ~10 years (ran great when parked lol).
It cranks fine and the glow plug light comes on. But it won't start/run.
My thought is to replace fuel/water sep filter,drain fuel tank, remove injectors, add fuel and crank until fuel squirts from injectors.
Does that sound about right? am I missing anything?
Thanks for any advice!
The first thing you should have done was drain out the fuel replace the fuel filters. Yes drain the oil and put in some fresh with filter. You may want to remove the fuel lines and make sure they are clear of old fuel.
Make sure the batteries are fully charged.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Make sure there isn't any water in the fuel tanks. Diesel doesn't varnish up like gasoline, so algae is your biggest worry. Next, prime the fuel system to the injectors, I wouldn't pull them unless they show trouble. Fresh batteries, and a bottle of seafoam in the crankcase. Let it idle for about 10 minutes then change the oil and put in some high quality oil. Right before you stop it to drain oil, change the fuel filter and prime it with more sea foam, run it for a few minutes to get the seafoam into the injector pump. Then shut it down, change oil and let it sit overnight. With fresh oil and filter start it and run it as you normally would.

·
Registered
1987 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3 IDI Turbo ZF5
8 Posts
I'd change the oil, if anything will drain out. If you don't get much out, you can figure that there's a LOT congealed inside the engine, and it's not gonna run right, or for long, if you get it to run at all. Even if you get close to the capacity out, there's still probably some congealed inside the critical passages. I'd try to rig up some way of applying ~30~90psi of continuous oil flow to the filter nipple, withOUT running the engine, to try to flush most of that crap out. Some engine flush (I use Berryman's B12 pour-in for my gassers) would probably be good, too.
I've never heard of oil congealing in an engine after sitting for 10 years to the point where you need to drain it before you try to start it, and I mess with older vehicles on a regular basis. Won't hurt to drain the oil now but I'd start it up and let it warm up for a bit and then change it.

Definitely need fresh and fully charged batteries.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts