The Diesel Stop banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
97 F-250 HD
102 Posts
I am not an expert or even close, but my 97 was sucking huge amounts of oil because of badly leaking up pipes. (HPOP lines are good) Could that be your problem? Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Seems like weeks after I ordered them (but still LONG before I need them), these arrived:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I finally got around to beginning this injector o-ring replacement and I have reached an embarrassing issue.
Cheaper to admit being stupid than it is to break something! Anyway, as I get the passenger side valve cover unbolted I find I cannot rotate it out past the A/C evaporator housing. I have the alternator/idler pulley bracket loosened up and pulled forward and down so I can attempt to slide the valve cover forward and remove it, but it keeps getting hung up at the back injector. I've had this off before to replace the glow plug harness, so I am stumped about what I am missing. Is it possible the crankshaft position has the pushrod raised too high back there? Grasping for ideas here...

·
Registered
10,944 Posts
Did you remove the vacuum reservoir that is held on to the side of the housing? It's usually in the way and held on by a screw or two. Cheers!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Ok, that made the difference! Glad I asked. I just wasn't as careful about pulling back the heat blanket insulation
as I should have been, oops. Rereading everything now to make sure I don't miss other good tips. Some youtube videos are helpful too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I just completed the passenger side injector seal replacements. So cylinders 1,3,5,7 I started with #7 thinking
to drain the oil rail more as suggested. When it came time reinsert the injectors, well coated with clean oil, I noticed
I could not press them in by hand. Not wanting to use anything like tapping on the plastic, I resorted on #7 to a 30 inch
piece of hardwood flooring the pry it down by catching the far edge under the A/C housing. That way I had plenty of
leverage and could afford to add force very carefully. I was amazed at how it popped into home position with just a bit of down force out at the end of the lever. I sensed all of those o-rings made it into the concentric location they reside in and moved smoothly until I herd a faint pop when it homed. I am not thinking I used too much force on this one but I also used the straight edge advice given here. And I saw something suspicious.

Here is my question: #7 sits a bit lower that the other three injectors do. Is that a sign something is wrong? They all snapped into place the same way with about the same pressure that I was trying to be careful wasn't too much. So,
what thoughts have you about #7 sitting a tad lower? Is it possible for them to extend in too far?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
...the passenger side valve cover unbolted I find I cannot rotate it out past the A/C evaporator housing. ...what I am missing.
Possibly broken engine mounts allowing the engine to sit tilted to that side, but more likely collapsed body mounts allowing the cab/firewall/HVAC box to move too close to the engine.

(click this text)

Skip to the bottom of this page & read about neutralizing:

(click this text)

The fasteners it's referring to are the engine & transmission mount nuts holding them to the frame perches & crossmember. The evaporator cover insulation can be replaced:

(click this text)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Respectfully, this engine mount/cab mount response is off topic, thinking I need to reiterate: my straight edge check
across the top of the seated injectors shows one to be lower than the others. Is that ok?

·
Super Moderator
26,600 Posts
Is it possible that you forgot to put the copper seal on the nozzle on #7?

If you did the straightedge test after torquing the clamps down, then something is definitely wrong.

But it also depends on your definition of "a tad lower". A few thousandths isn't a concern, but if it's like 1/16" difference you need to go back and check.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
All four were torqued to 140 inch pounds.

The clearance is about 1/16, so I will pull it out and look.

But the copper fit is tight enough I can't imagine that happening. Regardless, I'll remove it and look.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The copper seal was in place as it should have been. So I still don't see a reason the straight edge shows #7 about
1/16 inch lower than the others. I did not double up the others, but removed the old copper and replaced it with a new one. They all seated against the bottom of the injector.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I proceeded to open up the driver's side valve cover and found a very interesting effect on Injectors #4 & #6. There was
a plug of grease-like paste at the bottom o-ring, in the upper side. So its in that fuel region zone. This grease pushed the o-ring downward to make room to pack itself in for about 3/4 inch in alongside the o-ring. My guess is this indicates
something upstream in the fuel supply has an issue.

Also, I checked these four injectors with the straight edge before any wrench work and found a similar variation here, so I'm calling that a rabbit trail distraction and focusing on what makes this plug of paste at the o-ring.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts