The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a early 99 450 sd. Surges at idle enough to stall out. Sometimes if I play with the throttle it will smooth out for a few minutes then start again. I have replaced the icp censor twice just in case the first one was bad. Replaced the ipr. Replaced the cps. Dropped the tank cleaned the filters. Replaced the fuel pump. Replaced the ebp tube. New oil motorcraft. Truck ran good befor it started never even had to plug it in during winter. I checked as many wires as I could. Did not find any bare spots. When the truck starts it will sometimes die at the bottom end of the surge. While it is running if I trip the fuel cut off it stops surging and ideals like normal for a wile. Bought a bidirectional scan tool. Dose not work I'm assuming because there is only 7 pins. What would be making my truck do this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
have you checked the valley for fuel? the passenger side hard steel line will sometimes get a hole rubbed though it from the bracket. there is a passenger and driver side hard line that comes off the left hand side of fuel bowl. just replaced both of mine. trying to stop random surges on mine as well. also did you replace icp, ipr, cps, etc. with motorcraft parts? check tinnerman nut tightness? 35 ft. did you change pigtails when installing new icp and ipr?

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
The terms Surge, and Stall, have specific meanings based on the subjects specific context, air/gas flow, volume and pressure curves, mechanical speed increase or decrease and its rate of excursion. So what kind of surge and stall is your problem?

No way that IPR solenoid tin nut takes "35 ft" , don't strip the tin nut out, the poster likely meant 35 in/lbs which is very close to 3 ft/lbs.

Fuel, give some numbers please, pressure quantified and confirmed and a bucket time/flow rate.

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
4 Posts
The terms Surge, and Stall, have specific meanings based on the subjects specific context, air/gas flow, volume and pressure curves, mechanical speed increase or decrease and its rate of excursion. So what kind of surge and stall is your problem?

No way that IPR solenoid tin nut takes "35 ft" , don't strip the tin nut out, the poster likely meant 35 in/lbs which is very close to 3 ft/lbs.

Fuel, give some numbers please, pressure quantified and confirmed and a bucket time/flow rate.
yep, sorry i did mean in/lbs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have you checked the valley for fuel? the passenger side hard steel line will sometimes get a hole rubbed though it from the bracket. there is a passenger and driver side hard line that comes off the left hand side of fuel bowl. just replaced both of mine. trying to stop random surges on mine as well. also did you replace icp, ipr, cps, etc. with motorcraft parts? check tinnerman nut tightness? 35 ft. did you change pigtails when installing new icp and ipr?
Did not find any fuel leakage. And everything i used was motorcraft with new pigtails.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts