The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not seeing it so i'm guessing it hasn't been done yet.
I have a 2002 and i took in some water a while back and my compression is going down hill. I"ve been think about a swap and wonder how difficult it would be.
I'd love to grab the AT while i'm at it and put it in as well. I figure HP# wise, this might be the easiest way to do it.
any thoughts??

·
Registered
338 Posts
i wanna know this too, and i also want to know if we still have to play by the emission rules because we have earlier model trucks

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
the shear amount of work to get the electronics to work are prohibitive, let alone the fact i am not sure it would even fit.
you'd be better off either buying a 6.4 equipped truck, or building a new 7.3

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm not seeing it so i'm guessing it hasn't been done yet.
I have a 2002 and i took in some water a while back and my compression is going down hill. I"ve been think about a swap and wonder how difficult it would be.
I'd love to grab the AT while i'm at it and put it in as well. I figure HP# wise, this might be the easiest way to do it.
any thoughts??
Why not cost out getting another 7.3? Even if you can't grab an AT, it would probably be the most cost effective and easiest (least painful) approach to take.

As mentioned in the above post, going to the 6.4 would require a lot of time, $$$, labor to retrofit / rebuild your current truck.

Hopes this helps,

Butch Cassidy1

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
the shear amount of work to get the electronics to work are prohibitive, ...
The only logical way to do it would be to transplant both the engine and tranny, along with the PCM. But you may be right if the anti-lock brake system (ABS) module and the injection driver module (IDM) and other computers in the '02 won't plug-n-play with the PCM for the 6.4L engine.

I suspect it would be less expensive to do a complete overhaul of the 7.3L, along with a bulletproof BTS or equivalent tranny and tunes by a smart guy with a goal of around 350 reliable horses. Plan on a budget of $15,000 for that jobbie. That's a lot less than $45,000 for a new 6.4L truck.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Can't do it. I've already looked at it and nothing hooks up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
People have installed 5.9L Cummins in these to make a nice truck. Seems like a no brainer to stick with the 7.3L, though.

·
Super Moderator
11,676 Posts
But you may be right if the anti-lock brake system (ABS) module and the injection driver module (IDM) and other computers in the '02 won't plug-n-play with the PCM for the 6.4L engine.
I know that they are not plug and play. Someone would have to create a software interface to make this work.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i wanna know this too, and i also want to know if we still have to play by the emission rules because we have earlier model trucks
it should be like in gassers, the emission test is based upon the year vehicle not the motor itself. That is the hope.

as far as electronics, it would be no different than swapping a 5.9 into this truck or a ls1 into a mazda miata. yes, the pcm, idm etc.. would have to be sourced but big deal. to get 500+ out of a 7.3 will run me up wards of 7k+. mini-me's plus a gtp38r already are close to 4k. That doesn't include head studs, plus the time to put it together. Even w/ my situation, i still have to get a pcm out of an auto if i want to put in a 4r100, or i can spend some $ on a controller and put in a newer 5spd auto.
As far as a newer 6.4 is concerned I can buy a local rolled 6.4 for 5K even if i have to spend extra on electronics, Painless wiring always has something up their sleeve. Unless i can find a pre 02 w/ forged rods, i'm looking at another 5K-10K for a rebuilt not including speed parts. everyone said you couldn't put an allison 1000 behind anything but a GM but lo-and-behold how many controllers are out there now to put it behind the 7.3, 6.0 and 5.9.

Additionally now that i think about it, the 1st time i called BTS, they told me that i couldn't swap a auto in place of my 6spd.

I won't be the 1st but if i do it, i definately won't be the last. Why rebuild an antiquated motor assembly when I can get what was once thought unattainable out of a new stock + tuner 6.4?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
i'd be curious to see if it fits first.

·
Registered
338 Posts
that would be awesome to have the speed of the 6.4 in an early 99' like I have. Or just to be able to pull up beside one and pop the hood and see a newish 6.4 resting between the frame rails would be sweet too!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i know a mechanic at the stealership who claims that he does side jobs w/ a few of the commerical mechanics. i'll inquire what the dimension differences are.
I just think it would be pretty neat and about the same $ wise to shoot for 500hp. My motor is heading out and I would like to have the pieces so i can start by summer of 2010. I have the $$ i just want to confirm which way i'm gonna go. unless i can find someone who pampered an 00-01 (want the forged rods) i'm gonna have to possibly rebuild it and no one around here wants to mess w/ it. ***??
We'll see, if i do go 6.4 i'll definately post info here.

Now i have to find a 12v and a 1 ton drive train for my 94 bronco, a whole other project i don't need to spend money on :notallthere:

·
Registered
818 Posts
....Why rebuild an antiquated motor assembly...
how can the 7.3 be antiquated? int still produces the engines as far as i know. and plus the parts avaiable for the 7.3 will probably be around longer than the 6.4. just my .02

anthony

·
Registered
178 Posts
The 08/09 trucks are still the same chasis. So many parts can be changed over. If you had a rolled donor truck and had ALOT of energy you could make the swap I think. Ive seen front clip changes, dash changes, everything but engine. Youd have to do a complete swap tho. Engine/ tranny harness from 08/09 truck. All the computers ( PCM, IDM, ect). You might even have to swap more. I think all the trucks have the anti roll stuff on them that the PCM would control? But the engine mounts and tranny mounts should bolt in or come close enough to modify to fit. It would be alot of work tho cause it would require installing the new harnesses. Definatly not a weekend job tho. Sounds like alot of hidden obsticles would go with it. Just depends on how much you get your donor parts for... A stock 7.3 without PMR's will make over 300 fairly easy with just bolt ons. Stage 2 injectors will get you 400. I would carefully weigh the options.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how can the 7.3 be antiquated? int still produces the engines as far as i know. and plus the parts avaiable for the 7.3 will probably be around longer than the 6.4. just my .02

anthony

What i'm saying is, if i have my 78b camaro w/ a 4bl 350 do i rebuild it, knowing good and well that factory wise it was good as it could get at that time, however better heads, cams, throttle body etc.. came along could i rebuild it with those add ons or drop in an LS1?
I agree completely that the 7.3 will be around 4ever however unless i put a lot of $$ out, since i need another motor + the power adders + an auto or do i grab a 6.4 that has hp i need and use the corresponding tranny w/it + the respective controller. I have calculated it and dollar for dollar i can probably do the 6.4 for less than the 7.3.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 08/09 trucks are still the same chasis. So many parts can be changed over. If you had a rolled donor truck and had ALOT of energy you could make the swap I think. Ive seen front clip changes, dash changes, everything but engine. Youd have to do a complete swap tho. Engine/ tranny harness from 08/09 truck. All the computers ( PCM, IDM, ect). You might even have to swap more. I think all the trucks have the anti roll stuff on them that the PCM would control? But the engine mounts and tranny mounts should bolt in or come close enough to modify to fit. It would be alot of work tho cause it would require installing the new harnesses. Definatly not a weekend job tho. Sounds like alot of hidden obsticles would go with it. Just depends on how much you get your donor parts for... A stock 7.3 without PMR's will make over 300 fairly easy with just bolt ons. Stage 2 injectors will get you 400. I would carefully weigh the options.
I agree it won't be a weekend job and i can get all the harness, pcm etc.. so that can be done.
I can get a low milage 6.4 from a rolled application, guaranteed to work for about 5000, then the trans from 1395-1950!!!
Think about it 7000k for a newer set up w/ only a tuner making 500+hp or i'll spend around 3-5K for a used 7.3, closer to 7-10K for a rebuilt plus another 4K for inj, bb turbo that is anywhere from 7K to 14K NOT including an auto tranny!!

I keep doing the math over and over and I just can't see any rationale in getting a used 7.3 w/ 100k+ miles and throwing another 4K on top plus another 4K for a BTS... it just doesn't make sense to me.

The 6.4 may be a PIA but i have the time and it would be extremely unique and i'm already ahead knowing i can put the trans in and there are controllers for it regardless of pcm and it will hold up to the #'s so far and give me better ratios to boot.

Well see what happens... no rush but i'll definately post things here if the project goes, 7.3 or 6.4 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Someone has to be first to do this kind of swap. I vote you go for it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Someone has to be first to do this kind of swap. I vote you go for it! :thumbsup:

thanks for the vote of encouragement but after talking w/ several diesel techs, they keep telling me to rebuild or buy a reman 7.3. I was told "the 6.0 and 6.4 is what keeps this shop ticking. The 7.3 will outlast both of them."

I spoke w/ 3 seperate guys and they are all telling me the same thing. that it might cost a bit more to do the 7.3 but i'd be happier w/ it in the end. It should last a lot longer and will be more reliable.
I'm still on the fence but DI has a decent reman short block for sale.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If theres one thing I have learned from the jeep community, that is anything is possible! I say go for it. Do because you haven't seen it done or just because you want to. As far as an LS1 in your camaro we have been putting LS3's in jeeps for awhile now:lol:. Just don't expect it to happen over night. Buy a compleat truck, start measuring, do lots of reading up on the differances and don't throw anything away. It will happen eventualy might as well be you.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts