The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 7.3 having trouble starting. Starter chugs until it is essentially running. As soon as you get of the starter all action stops. We have borrowed parts from a running 7.3 side by side. ICP, IDM, changed out between trucks no change. New glow plugs and harnesses. Oil level, fuel level fine. Plug it in and it will start. Might take a couple shots of ether. Then start all day. Have video if anyone is interested.

·
Super Moderator
25,204 Posts
Either your batteries or starter are bad. Sounds like you aren't getting enough cranking speed.
That's the first place I would check anyway.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I had one that would aaalllmost start, smoke from the tailpipe, and then give up when you let off the starter. Replaced the CPS and it started right up.

·
Registered
393 Posts
1999 7.3 having trouble starting. Starter chugs until it is essentially running. As soon as you get of the starter all action stops. We have borrowed parts from a running 7.3 side by side. ICP, IDM, changed out between trucks no change. New glow plugs and harnesses. Oil level, fuel level fine. Plug it in and it will start. Might take a couple shots of ether. Then start all day. Have video if anyone is interested.
Did you check/change the GPR? How many miles? Read my previous couple of posts re: injector shimming and glow plugs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts