The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a semi local 1993 U-Haul with a 7.3L and was curious if these were turbo or not? Or if some were and some weren't? The truck is a good deal but it's a 90 minute drive away. The lady I spoke with over the phone had no clue and I am not up to speed on the older models.

Any help?

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Probably not, but it's not impossible. Ask the lady to look under the hood. On top of the engine there is a box. If the box is a round tin (classic air filter style) there is no turbo. If the box is square then there is probably a turbo. That's what I'd say anyway.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like non turbo.

Next question!

Any guesses on what kinda MPG I would be looking at with less than 1klb in the box? Auto trans. I dont dare ask what the gear ration is! Haha

·
Registered
94 Posts
I bought an 89 7.3 UHaul box truck in 2005, 160k miles, for $4k out the door. It's my first and only diesel and it's been a great truck and the only problems I've had with it were mostly my own fault (like when I let it sit for 2yrs and couldn't get it started).

It's a gutless slug that is governed to about 72mph (4.10 rear gear), but it's hauled a box full of crap AND a 3000lb car at 72mph without complaint. Git you one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts