The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 f-250 7.3 white smoke from exhaust at random times as the truck gets hotter over time of driving it the injectors get louder 280,000mi no blow by just a little white vapor any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
A few more details might help get you some responses.

280K is high for original injectors, have they been replaced?

Are you sure its random?
Not when you accelerate?
Not when it changes gears?
Auto Trans?
It does not happen when cold?
Do you have a tuner or stock?
Any SES (Check Engine Light) illuminated on dash?

White probably means unburned fuel.

Is your coolant level stable in your degas reservoir?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
coolant hasn’t gone down down since i owned it it’s just a little puff the only time i can notice it is at night when someone’s headlights shine in my exhaust and yes i believe so original injectors i bought it from the first original owner with 270,000 on it ran an injector buzz test and they all sound pretty much the same but could it be a leaking injector? or could it be low fuel pressure?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mine puffed white smoke on deceleration, turned out to be bad turbo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it happens mostly when i’m sitting at a light and at acceleration but clears up once higher rpms but like i said it’s very very small amount and i can only see it at night when cars headlights shine near my exhaust

·
Super Moderator
24,885 Posts
Could be leakage at the turbo seal. Oil could build up in the turbo at idle then get blown out when you take off. Remove the intake hose to the turbo and check the shaft for end play. There shouldn't be any, but if you move it side to side, you may feel just a touch of play. That's not a cause for concern.

Also a buzz test won't find an injector nozzle that's drooling fuel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no shaft play put the wicked wheel in about 2 months ago and it has been doing it since i got it but i also have a rich diesel smell from the exhaust but i have a hydra chip could that be from the chip? or leaking injectors? or both?

·
Registered
998 Posts
You need gauges. Sounds like the Hydra is giving you fuel, and the turbo isn't responding in time. So possible boost leak. Since it clears in the higher rpm, boost leak seems likely. That said, I get a puff of black with my performance tunes too. Higher the power gain, bigger the cloud. A good tuner can get past that, but it requires live tuning. A generic chip is going to smoke on the launch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts