The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to start my excursion today drove 3/4 mile everything fine .Shut truck down dropped kids off , went to restart and feels like its missing on multiple cylinders . Checked the code that was thrown and came back as excessive misfires for emission. Checked fuel filter seemed clean and I will change it,drained fuel , started back up and seems fine now. I'm leaving on a 1000 mile trip and in2 days and just a little nervous. What is some things to check ?

·
Premium Member
15,110 Posts
Check for chaffed wires over the driver side valve cover. Check for oil penetrating the IP sensor. Check your fuel level - if it was around 1/4 tank, there could be issues with the pick up foot. Check your oil level and condition. The 99-01 models had issues where the harness on the inside of the valve cover gasket would come loose. That shouldn't be an issue on your 02, but if it happens again you may need to pull the covers and check for burned connectors or some other issue in there.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Check for chaffed wires over the driver side valve cover. Check for oil penetrating the IP sensor. Check your fuel level - if it was around 1/4 tank, there could be issues with the pick up foot. Check your oil level and condition. The 99-01 models had issues where the harness on the inside of the valve cover gasket would come loose. That shouldn't be an issue on your 02, but if it happens again you may need to pull the covers and check for burned connectors or some other issue in there.
All good ideas here.

Do you recall the code or codes that were thrown? That may help us help you.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oil level is good and fresh,I'm leaning towards the harnesses under the valve cover harnesses . I can start it and it will run rough and then shut it it off and restart it ,it will run fine . Then if it sits it will run rough on the next start up. Checked icp sensor for oil and its clean. I'm at 3/8 of a tank so I thought maybe the foot but i would think it would run like crap all the time . When i was driving it while it was running rough the egt were crazy high 1200 at 35mph.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Oil level is good and fresh,I'm leaning towards the harnesses under the valve cover harnesses . I can start it and it will run rough and then shut it it off and restart it ,it will run fine . Then if it sits it will run rough on the next start up. Checked icp sensor for oil and its clean. I'm at 3/8 of a tank so I thought maybe the foot but i would think it would run like crap all the time . When i was driving it while it was running rough the egt were crazy high 1200 at 35mph.
Does it seem to only run rough on the cold starts, or is it random?

If it's random, I would say that UVCH issues are the likely cause. If it happens on cold starts, it could be related to other things, such as glow plugs or injectors.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does seem to be on cold starts,but lasts until you restart and it may run fine . I checked the codes and it had a 1306 code for too many misfires for emissions whatever that means .I looked around and checking wires didn't really see anything suspicious ,I'll pull the valve covers when I get back from my trip in a week. Just a shot in the dark though I put a high amp alternator in a week ago and it has been fine driving for the week but wondering if that could be a issue. I watched the voltage on it and it seems to be working correctly.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got a chance to examine the harness over the the driver side valve cover and pulled the connector apart,cleaned it examined all the wires in back and as far in the flex loom as can be seen and everything looks good . Post office never delivered my uvch this week so Mon. it should show up and I'll check those harnesses. Any other ideas it is definitely wiring related because of the intermittent issue. I would think bad running all the time if injectors were bad .

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had my UVCH changed and sure enough a couple of burned wires coming out of the main connector. Shop didn't remember which side it was from but thanks for the help guys. Ordered my new harnesses and valve cover gaskets from diesel orings and had those installed , so the excursion is back to running again.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Had my UVCH changed and sure enough a couple of burned wires coming out of the main connector. Shop didn't remember which side it was from but thanks for the help guys. Ordered my new harnesses and valve cover gaskets from diesel orings and had those installed , so the excursion is back to running again.
Good to hear she is back to full health.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts