The Diesel Stop banner

381 - 400 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Cheap hids throw off interference that doesn't play well with the dp chips. RadioShack sells a choke big enough to clip over the ribbon cable.

The Napa cps will also also need a choke on the wiper ground at least. Some guys need more than one choke installed

Honestly pull the chip off and see if idle noise decreases.

In my experience with dp tunes, the timing advance makes the trucks run a little rougher and noisier.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've noticed that certain CPS's make my truck louder than others. Worst thing about the CPS is that all of them tend to slowly degrade over time. I see it mostly in fuel mileage decreases.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Good move , i assure you if you follow Nick's procedure with the chokes it will work great for you , smoother idle and so much quieter, and will pass the contribution test.
The only reason i had a small problem was because of the interference with the HID head lights i had installed, giving some interference with the cps.
Googs, I have been through this thread more than once and can't find out what to do about HID head lights, which I have. What did you do extra to get it working?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Got mine on and its like I got a new power plant. Instead of chainsaw ripsaw up the rpm ladder, now it powers thought the bands like a turbine. Noticeable quieter at speed and on acceleration.

Got chokes everywhere suggested except a couple of underbody grounds that I will chase down. Did a 30 second wiper test but no real test of wipers. That's for the morning.
I can't thank Nick enough for running this down. He needs development stipends from Ford on a weekly basis, with expense money.

Cheers,
Dunbar

·
Registered
172 Posts
I put the Echlin in two weeks ago. I do not notice a difference between it and the Delphi or the purple one. Mileage and sound are better with all three than the grey Ford one.

Funny how different these trucks all react to the various CPS's.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Got mine to spudder a couple of times with the intermittent wipers then die. I have not choked a couple of body grounds under the truck. I have HID headlights, a 270 amp alternator and a large wire from the alt to the battery. I have an extra hot wire from one battery to the other. A few of the chokes I placed were a bit big for the wires they went on.

Anyone know what Googs did about his HID's?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Googs hasn't been around.
Best chance would be through nick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nick in the OP you say that it only killed the motor with intermittent wipers and at idle. Did you ever get it to die when driving? I'm about to hit the highway to drive to Lake Superior and the truck runs so much better with this mod I don't want to pull it and put the other back in. I put on a few more chokes on grounds I found but will not have time to test it until we see rain or snow. I guess in the mean time I could switch the wiper on and back off rather than use intermittent. Engine dying at speed is more of a concern than at a stoplight.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The Hydra won't take any power from you now it's only going to enhance it, i have a DP chip and it's great in all positions, i drove for an hour or so yesterday in the rain with the wipers on intermittent with no problems only thing was trying to keep traction the rear.:sneaky:
I installed four sets of ferrite chokes (as per Nicks instructions) one on each cps wire (3) one on the LH ground to body and one on each grounds for the pcm (2) and then one on each of the wiper wires (5)

First and second photo is the wiper loom, third is LH ground, fourth is PCM ground, fifth is cps wires you can only see the ferrite choke that i wrapped around the whole loom there is three other chokes below that.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f47/7-3l-cps-search-effort-pay-off-463090/index6.html#post3630378

I can't find the grounds for the PCM in picture 4 of the linked post. Is that inside the cab or under the hood? Under the hood I see the plug on the PCM but no wires running out of the loom to ground. I do have 2 wires high up with a common ground. They come out of the main harness. My problem must be that I have no chokes on the PCM ground. Can anyone describe where picture 4 is? My truck is an Excursion, 2003 7.3 but it should be the same. Only electrical under hood difference is the CA style Glow plug Module. I wish we had the normal GPR.

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
Dropped in but don't have wiring manual at hand 3:00 AM Eastern but is this is being attempted due to HIDs? and tests outlined in beginning have not been performed? Just out of concern?
This concerns me.... This is a modification vetted on a stock truck...As stated in the beginning of thread. All testing must be down as outlined before" usuall business"
I offered this as a solution amongst friends and members of this forum but I nor does verticle Scope or anyone assume anything with modified vehicles or their operating system.
Thread shares experiences of those who have used and or modified said vehicle or opening sytem and thread originator hs outlined test procedures on an otherwise stock electronically vehicle.
So many have benifited, however I fear that, due to thread's length, certain precautions may have been missed.
I.e. Trying mod after lack of or misdiagnosis masking other issues that in turn, return unequivelent reults on same iron, fuel, condition, programmed engine driving commmnds, environment.

In summary... read, test, take any and all risks upon yourself..

Learn your power plant, get it right before doing this and THEN TEST.

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #391 (Edited)
Lake Superior,,temps that can kill!!!
Never read nor has it reported in this massive thread, that you cannot get instant restart but it has become so long and am aware I have not motored the thread entirely.
Always have backup plan, tools you have put to get her and actually tried switching one out so you are not frozen with a 10 mmm, wrong length extension for clearance, no flashlight with proven batteries that attach by headband to shine up while switching out with goggles because it is guarranttpwed 15 years old frozen grease grit will falll into your eyes.
Dunbar, I nor any of my installs have been left but I do not do electro crazy trucks that can cause insane "electronic chaos "

BTW all over ncuding mine have been thru 2 record blizzards that the typical truck ran non strop with varying wiper speeds for over 70 plus hours...
Non were equipped with HID or other non conventional electronic equipment.
I TrueType believe you will be ok but have the fit tried tools, parts , plans and know how to deal with any given breakdown in severe dangerous environments.

You can run a forum looking for gen topics but when was the last real true inspection? Oh! great motor running killer, everything else just perfect.".then frozen to death over a rotted out brake line or some frayed pigtail because atttention was to power and or fuel economy.

Tellin ya know boys.... Therese trucks are now at the age that safetey is king on inspection. We do share the road with others.
Tuners this exhaust that tires blah blah, give me picture of your brake lines.

Merry Christmas and let us all be and stay safe.

" The Other Nicholas "

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dropped in but don't have wiring manual at hand 3:00 AM Eastern but is this is being attempted due to HIDs? and tests outlined in beginning have not been performed? Just out of concern?
This concerns me.... This is a modification vetted on a stock truck...As stated in the beginning of thread. All testing must be down as outlined before" usuall business"
I offered this as a solution amongst friends and members of this forum but I nor does verticle Scope or anyone assume anything with modified vehicles or their operating system.
Thread shares experiences of those who have used and or modified said vehicle or opening sytem and thread originator hs outlined test procedures on an otherwise stock electronically vehicle.
So many have benifited, however I fear that, due to thread's length, certain precautions may have been missed.
I.e. Trying mod after lack of or misdiagnosis masking other issues that in turn, return unequivelent reults on same iron, fuel, condition, programmed engine driving commmnds, environment.

In summary... read, test, take any and all risks upon yourself..

Learn your power plant, get it right before doing this and THEN TEST.
Nick, was this a reply to my thread?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Lake Superior,,temps that can kill!!!
Never read nor has it reported in this massive thread, that you cannot get instant restart but it has become so long and am aware I have not motored the thread entirely.
Always have backup plan, tools you have put to get her and actually tried switching one out so you are not frozen with a 10 mmm, wrong length extension for clearance, no flashlight with proven batteries that attach by headband to shine up while switching out with goggles because it is guarranttpwed 15 years old frozen grease grit will falll into your eyes.
Dunbar, I nor any of my installs have been left but I do not do electro crazy trucks that can cause insane "electronic chaos "

BTW all over ncuding mine have been thru 2 record blizzards that the typical truck ran non strop with varying wiper speeds for over 70 plus hours...
Non were equipped with HID or other non conventional electronic equipment.
I TrueType believe you will be ok but have the fit tried tools, parts , plans and know how to deal with any given breakdown in severe dangerous environments.

You can run a forum looking for gen topics but when was the last real true inspection? Oh! great motor running killer, everything else just perfect.".then frozen to death over a rotted out brake line or some frayed pigtail because atttention was to power and or fuel economy.

Tellin ya know boys.... Therese trucks are now at the age that safetey is king on inspection. We do share the road with others.
Tuners this exhaust that tires blah blah, give me picture of your brake lines.

Merry Christmas and let us all be and stay safe.

" The Other Nicholas "
Don't worry about me in the frozen North. I carry everything to fix anything. I was just asking if, in the original post, you say that you only got the engine to die while idling with intermittent wipers. Rather than running down the road. I have my other CPS, 1/4 inch drive socket wrench with proper extension and 10mm socket in the glove box already. Headlamps hand, tarp to throw on the ground etc. We will be fine.

Still would like to know where the grounds for the PCM are located so I can choke them.

Anything I read on a forum is implied to have no warranty or guaranteed results etc etc.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Nick in the OP you say that it only killed the motor with intermittent wipers and at idle. Did you ever get it to die when driving?

I've had it stumble while running down the highway as a result of the wipers on intermittent without having the chokes installed. Being that it was rolling it relighted the engine. The second time it did it in s few minute period it trigger the engine light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
On our way up North it did stumble a couple of times with my wife driving but not enough for serious concern (to get under and replace the cps with the old one). It happened when she hit the wiper to clear the windshield and a couple of times without the wipers running. I have an oil leak, most likely turbo pedestal again, that is waiting on me to recover from back surgery to fix. The oil was a bit low when we left and I topped it at a fuel stop. It needed about 3 quarts and I remember in this thread someone saying to keep it topped. I took the wheel and put it on cruise and only got one stumble for the rest of the trip. My wife does not use cruise and so she is all over the throttle. I need more chokes to get grounds for my HID lights and LED driving lights. I'm thinking I might be able to track down all snags and keep running this awesome cps.

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
I've had it stumble while running down the highway as a result of the wipers on intermittent without having the chokes installed. Being that it was rolling it relighted the engine. The second time it did it in s few minute period it trigger the engine light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, I missed this question.
No, I've never had them quit while driving. Only at idle with wipers on intermitant. These trucks were otherwise completely electronically stock however, no electronic or electric accessories other than say a dump body or snow plow.

·
Registered
141 Posts
need help from dieselnick early 99 chocked wires per your instructions plus alot more installed echlin cps engine stumbles on acceleration took off and returned for another one now stumbles at around 2000 rpm any thing below 2000 runs great any ideas thanks

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
First, anything going on before switching to this cps?
Second, what equipment is on truck not stock? I.e. Alarm, lights ect.

Are you saying you choked wires exactly like I outlined?

Are you saying after choking, you developed a stumble that was not there before switching to the Echlin? At that point you left everything the same including chokes, pulled cups out, replaced with another and stumbling changed?

Are you positive it is an Echlin model not another Napa?

Do chokes snap onto wires snugly?

·
Registered
141 Posts
yes left chocks on truck was fine with ford cps except cct test I have gauges fog light power/heated mirrors ts 6 position chip which I also chocked.echlin cps #1103 first one stumbled when pulling off from a stop never got on interstate took back for replacement guy left it on counter and got another one put it on drove ok till I got on interstate then stumble at 2000rpm backed off to around 1800 turned off radio heater power back to 2000 stumbled again back off set cruise same thing switched to stock on chip same thing.

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #400
How do chokes fit?
Are they Radio Shack?
By chance did you take pictures of your work?
Are you saying the stumbling point or conditions under which it occurs, changed between the 2 Echlins?
Have you checked the condition if cps wires where they get close to the ebp tube?

381 - 400 of 410 Posts