The Diesel Stop banner

41 - 60 of 410 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The issue with the Ford and I nternational's is not an interferrance issue.
The cps I used for best engine results in the NAPA Elchins model. I say that and people have said ok NAPA cps. Napa has multiple cps. My thread and the results are based on the Elchins model. I did extensive work and testing and safety is involved and I wish people would pay closer attention so safety and satisfaction are both achieved.
If you have stumbling especially at mid range you do not have cps issue you have hydraulic or hydraulic control issues.
You will not turn your truck into a silky beast if you have other issues or are trying to achieve my test results by choking a Ford, International and a few others.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
Yeah got ya Nick .

·
Registered
354 Posts
great info..

I just replaced my black international CPS i had put in it with the gray recall CPS from Ford that was in my truck when I bought it.

Nick, have you ever seen a Black CPS or any other CPS cause cold start problems?

Since I've put the gray one I havent had any cold start issues and I have a good bit more power.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
if a cps is failing it can cause harder starts and less power.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
Look i had the black one in for years never ever problems then it was changed under Ford's recall , bugger, if it's working okay leave it alone .

Now i have ordered two (2) of the NAPA Elchins models and end up with an inferior brand (OEM) with the same part number as the Elchins , so when you order your new CPS from Napa just make sure what you are getting .
Remember I'm on the other side of the globe.

first couple of pic's are the wrong CPS's .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
The pic is the correct CPS you should get if you want a Elchins , part number is ECH CSS1103

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
The black cps was actually the one to have. They were like gold. But they were also easily prone to engine heat. People were trying to sell them on fleabay for high dollar. But you cannot get them anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
The black cps was actually the one to have. They were like gold. But they were also easily prone to engine heat. People were trying to sell them on fleabay for high dollar. But you cannot get them anymore.

I was lucky to get one a couple of years ago from IH. When I got it home I could see that, although it was new, it had been installed and put back in the package, probably from one of their techs doing some trouble shooting. It was the last one they had and it's still riding around in my glove box since the recall replacement one is still working fine. My truck is very smooth and has tons of power, not sure if the black one would be advantageous at this point or not. I hate to fix something that's not broke.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
they all fail. maybe the recall ones last a little longer. most aftermarket ones simply don't last. but in the end they all go bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys.

Just signed up because of this thread. Great info here!

I've heard of this problem in the past but never had to fix one, until now.

This issue started with slight excessive valve train noise on the right side and P0284 Cyl 8 balance fault code that a Cylinder contribution test uncovered.
I had experienced some CPS's causing #8 issues in the past and so I started searching and found this thread.

Here's what I experienced...

- I picked up a Napa CSS1103 CPS and the chokes.
- I removed both wiper arms so I can run the wiper motor and wont have to worry about water.
- I installed the CPS, not the chokes, cleared the codes and re-ran the Contribution test and all passed the engine idles smooth and the valve train noise seems gone, turned on the intermittent wipers and it stalled within a few minutes.
- I put appropriate small size chokes on the individual wires at the wiper motor and the larger one around all 5, started the truck, turned on the intermittent wipers and it stalled within a couple minutes.
- I added 3 small chokes around the wires at the CPS, started it, turned on the intermittent wipers and it stalled within a couple minutes.
- I added a large choke around all 3 wires at the CPS and it idled for over an hour without a hiccup.
- I test drove it, with and without the intermittent wipers on, ran the wipers at all speeds and all seemed fine.
- After the test drive I left it idling in the parking lot with the intermittent wipers on, thinking all was good and about a half hour later it stalled. I restarted it and it's been idling fine for over an hour with the intermittent wipers on high.

My local Radio Shack is all out of Chokes because I bought them all so I'm going to add a few more in a few choice places when I can and I'll report back.

Any input? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
Welcome to the forum .:)
Good report very well explained , if you read through Nick's thread thread he put chokes around the ground wires for the PCM and any other ground wires he could find on the motor.

Well done

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I found the stalls were on intermitant. I did not do it scientifically so I'm sure I have chokes I don't need. I have had zero stalls and this winter I have had that truck out plowing with the wipers on intermitant for over 24 hrs of operation and a storm they were on for over 48hrs. Double check my thread. If your wiring and sÿstem are good and you have the chokes where I do, I think you will be ok. You can google plowing with Maryland dieselnick youtube and see for yourself them on intermitant and monster snow covered hills that you would go down like a bobsled if the engine stalled.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have 3 CPS for my truck. Ford, IH, and Orielly BWD. In playing with them on my desk, the BWD is the strongest magnet. It is currently in my truck and working fine. Now that truck is running better I may swap to one of the others to see what happens. Never had trouble with the wipers.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
That's interesting , most everyone one on here with a (BWD) has had intermittent wiper problems, have you fitted ferrite chokes anywhere ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's some really good tech info on how chokes work. Understanding how they work will help determine where to install them.

audiosystemsgroup.com/SAC0305Ferrites.pdf

·
Registered
527 Posts
Googs, No chokes or anything. I played with all 3 sitting at my deck one night. BWD is gray and has a much larger diameter head. Magnet inside will pick up a 1/4" drive deep socket. IH or Ford will not. So at Nicks suggestion I am running it.

41 - 60 of 410 Posts