The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 E-450 Bus cutaway. It wont start. Shows dummy lights for low oil pressure and oil pressure gauge builds slow during cranking. I took off the HPOP top plug and the oil level is up and oil level overall is full. With the top plug out of the HPOP I cranked it over with no oil sputtering out of the HPOP. I read that this points to a bad LPOP. Is that true? About 3 years the IPR and ICP were replaced with a no start rough idle symptoms. After lots of fuel troubleshooting and headaches I found out it was a faulty IDM. I am thinking its time to replace the LPOP. Anyone have any suggestions before I try this out?

·
Premium Member
15,097 Posts
You could also have a cracked pick up tube. Might be fun doing this on the Bus, but the test is to overfill the crankcase with a gallon of oil and jack the rear end as high as you can and re-try. You should have painted the roof when you cranked with the HPOP plug out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help I'll give that a try. What is involved to replace the oil pickup tube on a van? Can I get to it by dropping the oil pan?

·
Premium Member
15,097 Posts
If you can get the pan off in the bus, it can be done. Traditionally the engine has to be inverted to get the RTV to seal, but if you are meticulous and have the room, it's all there when the pan comes off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts