The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 F250, 7.3 It will sit and idle for hours and I can accelerate and drive fine but when I release the accelerator the truck stalls but it will start right up and go until I release the accelerator again, any ideas?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Without a diagnostic tool hooked up to read things, you can look at the accelerator pedal, since that is in the operation of your issue. There are 2 switches on it, a apps and a ivs. It unbolts with 3 bolts from the floor and then unplug it.
But it really needs to be monitored to see whats the cause.
Does this happen hot or cold running engine ?

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
try to get a Powerstroke capable scanner to read code like Autoenguinity with ford Pkg. or a shop around that can read powerstroke

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
did you try changing the CPS.

doesn't look like it symptom but CPS can do weird stuff sometime

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, changed the CPS 3X .It was a code that was stuck in the brain when he put the code reader
on it for a diesel. It doesn't seem fuel related, because it doesn't hesitate or miss at speeds, no smoke.
but if you let off the throttle even at high speeds it shuts off, no hesitation,just dies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the Ideas, Well I got it, it was fuel related, while I changed the fuel filter a friend took the rail fuel pump off to check it, when he put it back on he did not put the clip on the back line and it was sucking air, when I let off of throttle it was not enough fuel to keep running, My wife said I should know better then to let anyone work on our truck or car, (but when it is mine I get brain freeze for some reason) by the way the reason for the stall to begin with was the fuel filter. While I was under the truck I put the new CPS that I bought at the Ford dealer on, I had replaced the Autozone junk one 6 times in the last two years.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
glad you got it figure out and back on the road

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I have a 2001 F250, 7.3 It will sit and idle for hours and I can accelerate and drive fine but when I release the accelerator the truck stalls but it will start right up and go until I release the accelerator again, any ideas?
If you do have to leave your truck idling for long periods of time you might consider buying a Ford AIC or APCM so you can be at high idle.

This is especially helpful if you run the A/C alot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts