The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I towed my buddy's trailer last weekend (6x12) w 2 dirtbikes in it. Not much wt to tow ! LOL. Anyway, i have Edge Insite monitor and EOT(engine oil temp) seems to go up real quick 240-250 degrees ! This is not going up steep hill just going straight road. Dont have coolant prob hooked up yet, but dash gauge is normal !! If i didn't EOT gauge up would never know oil was getting this hot. Oh, trans temp running 175-185. My question is there a problem r is this just normal ?? Could my sensor b bad? Where is EOT sensor on 03 Van ? Any input would b GREAT, Thanks.......

·
Premium Member
15,105 Posts
7.3 engine oil temp ?

Not normal for sure. You need to see ECTs. You'll need an independent gauge. The oil cooler rarely has issues on the 7.3. Much more likely a radiator issue or other cooling system problem. Could also be a bad sensor but you will need an independent gauge to confirm. I've never had my EOT go over 194 towing 10k+. EOT is on the back of the HPOP reservoir.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I too have always wondered what is 'normal' for EOT in a VAN. I believe the pickups should run a little cooler considering the vans dont have the best air movement, no intercooler and and the engine compartment is pretty cramped. I personally have seen a max of about 208 EOT with a delta of 14-17 degrees regarding the coolant temps. This was on a hot day (95 deg f) pulling around 2k lbs in the van doing about 80 mph (no trailer). If I back off to about 70 mph, EOT is about 200 deg f +/- 3 deg. i know the 6.0 van can get to about 215-220 EOT w/o issues. But not sure of what the 7.3 motor in the van should be running. Hope this helps.

Anybody have any insight on oil temps in the 7.3 PSDvan?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, in process of installing my ECT wiring. Hope to get to bottom of issue and i'll let y'll know what i find....

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I usually see EOT of 197 to 210. When the ambient air is above 93 which is common for FL I see up to 218.
I've yet to see any higher.
Empty, not towing.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My F250's engine oil will get above 220F in hot weather towing in the flats and/or heavy traffic. I wouldn't be surprised if it got higher going up a grade while towing. I've read that today's conventional diesel oil can take 250F but when it reaches 280 or 300 it's in dangerous territory. With our water-to-oil cooler, the engine's radiator should be effective in controlling the oil temperature unless there's a problem with the cooler. My truck's oil temps usually stay within 25 degrees or so of the coolant temps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts