The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. new to the forum thing. I've got a 7.3l excursion I just did a complete engine overhaul on. This was my first engine rebuild/major mechanical project so I do not claim to be an expert by any means, but I do have some back ground in the realm of mechanics. When I first filled the engine with oil after the overhaul (before trying to start it) I noticed an oil leak out of the passenger side of the oil pan, Fearing a poor RTV job, i pulled the engine again, made sure the oil pan was straight, and put the oil pan back in with a Morosso gasket. This time, I filled the engine with oil before re-installing to be sure I had no leaks. No leaks, so I reinstalled the motor. Everything was ok after re-installing. Started up fine, ran it for 20 min to get to operating temp, assembled the rest of the truck, sput it in reverse and immediately had a major coolant leak (quickly fixed, bad heater hose fitting) and a constant oil drip coming from what seems to be the passenger side rear corner of the oil pan (same place as before). I know theres a drain hole for the valley right above the the rear of the oil pan gasket on the passenger side and it can be hard to trace leaks that could be coming from something in the valley there, but has anyone else had a similar issue? I can pull the motor again but really dont want to. 6.4 just went down and I was really banking on having my Ex done today. My thought is either A. oil pan is still leaking or B. theres something in the valley that doesnt receive oil until the engine is at operating temp that is leaking. Really hoping for an option B, but also looking for any advice you guys have to offer. Thank you in advance!
-Zach

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Get out some major degreaser/hot water hose/and good lights/mirror. Clean the entire area and valley until it is bone dry with no sign of oil. Then start and run for 30 sec, stop and recheck, continue running longer times until you see where the leak is coming from. If you have no oil in the valley under the turbo, It could be the oil rail plug. You can add the dye in the oil and use a black light to help spot the leak also. Finding leaks can be a bit of a chore but if you start with a clean bone dry engine it is a lot easier.

DENNY

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get out some major degreaser/hot water hose/and good lights/mirror. Clean the entire area and valley until it is bone dry with no sign of oil. Then start and run for 30 sec, stop and recheck, continue running longer times until you see where the leak is coming from. If you have no oil in the valley under the turbo, It could be the oil rail plug. You can add the dye in the oil and use a black light to help spot the leak also. Finding leaks can be a bit of a chore fbut if you start with a clean bone dry engine it is a lot easier.

DENNY
Hey Denny thanks for the reply,
Found one leak and it was unfortunately my oil pan. Was able to fix it without pulling the motor (I know this isn't the recommended way, but im in a time pinch). Dropped the pan about an inch and a half and was able to take plyers and a punch to bend my oil pan up in the corner it was leaking and took the grommet out of the gasket that keeps it from being overtorqued. Cleaned with brake clean and a rag and slapped a plentiful amount of aviation gasket on both sides of my morrosso gasket. Probably won't hold forever but hopefully it will get me through the summer to fall where I have more time to R&R the pan.The pan is now bone dry but I still have a drip. Im thinking its either residual oil on the block from installation or the old leak or I have a problem on the top of the engine. Going to rinse with water and break clean on Monday and go from there. I'm ok with a little drip, my other 7.3 has already marked its spot on my drive way, but I want to make sure everything is functioning properly.

Now to my next issue. Turbo sounds funny. First things first I installed a 4" straight pipe during my engine overhaul. At idle, it almost sounds like its a lope tune, but RPMs are steady and around 700. Engine sounds just like my other truck at the engine bay, but different at the exhaust tip. (Other truck is a 95 f350, 4" straight pipe). My excursion does have stage 2 injectors, but Im unsure of the effect that has on its idling sound. Back to the turbo. At initial acceleration it sounds normal, typical 7.3 whistle from 700 RPM-1200RPM. After that though it sounds almost like its gurgling. Hard to describe. Wondering if its an exhaust leak or if I installed something incorrectly?

Heres my list of things not factory on my Ex:
1. Pusher intake manifold (during overhaul)
2. Stage 2 Injectors (25k before overhaul, previous owner)
4. Tuner (came with injectors, on factory setting until 500 mile break in period is over)
5. S&B intake (during overhaul)
6. 4" straight pipe (during overhaul)

I think thats about it, If I think of anything else I'll!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts