The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 95 7.3. Glow plug relay went bad last year. I replaced it and it went bad again so I checked my glow plugs and had a few that were bad. From there I replaced all 8 glow plugs with factory plugs and one valve cover gasket form the parts store. Now the relay keeps going bad and I have 2 glow plugs bad and the relays kept going bad after a few weeks I been by passing the relay with a screw driver but that's not a fix... Any ideas. . . factory relay?

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
This is going to be moved to the right forum but until then.

Did you use Motorcraft ZD-11 glow plugs when you changed them out?

As for the relay, there are two of them that are lasting years and not just days. One is the White Rodgers 586-902. The coil on it is a lot larger but the main thing is that the contacts are rated for a lot more amps than the factory and replacement relays are.
The other relay is one for a Western snow plow attachment

I have been running the White Rodgers one now for over 15 years with no problems. The one for the snow plow is about the same size as the factory one and is getting good reviews.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
May be a PCM problem and not the relay. Have you checked for the normal volts during use, which are key off: both small terminals zero, one large terminal 12, other zero. Key on, relay on: one small terminal 12v, one zero volt, both large 12v. Key on relay off: both small terminals 12v, one large 12v, other zero volts.
One thing I can say for sure the glowplugs themselves don't hurt the relay, and the connections to them, like the gaskets don't either, as a failure in these cause less draw.
No help, but most say the factory relay is no good, and I have to differ, as I had one bad factory relay in 1997, and since then been running and starting fine with the warranty replacement from Ford.

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
When the key is off you should not get any voltage to either small post.

The key controls the 12v power to the relay, so if you are seeing voltage to it when the key is off you have a switch or a wiring problem

There is always 12v power to one of the large lugs at all times since it is wired directly to the battery through a fusible link.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
The small terminal with the red/green wire should have 12V only when the key is in the RUN or START position. Disconnect that terminal, from the relay, and check for voltage (on the ring terminal on the wire, not the terminal on the relay) with the key in the OFF position. If you still have 12V, then there's a wiring or switch problem somewhere. Next thing I'd try is disconnecting the ignition switch; if that de-energizes the red/green wire, then the ignition switch is suspect.

Does the engine stall normally when you turn the key back to the OFF position?

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
If inputs are there you might have a dead short in a plug, or harness, or an injector spiking into that circuit. Go back and ohm everything. Make sure you have no continuity between injector circuits and the glow plug circuits.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
If the relay was replaced with something other than factory, make sure that the relay is a case-isolated relay (none of the relay terminals should have continuity with the base), otherwise the glowplugs will not turn off. I also recommend the 2 relays mentioned by bugman. I have used both with no issues at all (the Western Plow relay is only about $15 too). Cheers!

·
Registered
192 Posts
My relay seems to be going out again. Hard starts and white smoke sometimes when air temp is only 40*.

Would love to pick up that Western relay, but the shipping is more than the part! Holy Toledo.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Would love to pick up that Western relay, but the shipping is more than the part! Holy Toledo.

Look for the same part number somewhere else. The link given isn't the only place that sells it.

Search google for "Western 56131K-2"

You might even find someone local that has it in stock.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
^^^^ A lot of places that sell it do seem to charge a lot for shipping, for such a small item. I forget which, but I found one seller that charged $9-ish for shipping, and aprx $18 for the part. So +1; search is your friend.

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
I'd just go down to the local NAPA store with the part number for the plow relay and see what they pull up.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
When I bought mine, I bought 2 for the same shipping. Not that it really made sense to do that but splitting the shipping across 2 items made me feel better (plus I have a spare to help someone else out in a pinch). Cheers!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I'd just go down to the local NAPA store with the part number for the plow relay and see what they pull up.
Unfortunately, they'll probably come up with a GPR-109, or some mediocre Echlin relay, or something similar, based on a part number cross-reference. I don't imagine they'd have the actual WP brand relay. Boy, if anyone comes up with a local pick-up option for either the WP or Stancor relay, I imagine a LOT of PSD people would wanna know about it.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
When I bought mine, I bought 2 for the same shipping. Not that it really made sense to do that but splitting the shipping across 2 items made me feel better (plus I have a spare to help someone else out in a pinch). Cheers!
May make perfect sense, depending on how many trucks you have. That's how I ordered Stancors for our trucks, before the knowledge about the WP was out there.

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
Unfortunately, they'll probably come up with a GPR-109, or some mediocre Echlin relay, or something similar, based on a part number cross-reference. .
I actually called my local NAPA manager tonight and he stocks the Western plow relay. But then I am in snow country and they can sell them.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
^^^^^^ Cool! I wouldn't have guessed NAPA would carry a WP part, since they brand so many products themselves. Good to know there's a "get it today" option.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I called my local Western Plow retailer and they have a list price of $48 for Western 56131K.

FWIW, I bought a NAPA-110 for $63 in 04/2015 and it passed the test yesterday--nine months and still alive !

(I had not learned of the Stancor upgrade yet when I bought the GPR-110. The NAPA does come with a warranty atleast.)

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I called my local Western Plow retailer and they have a list price of $48 for Western 56131K.
Was that the one in the 14K gold box, delivered by a Kardashian? They're $15-20 at a gazillion places online; $8-15 shipping. Hmmm, SOME local retailers are willing to meet an online price, or at least compete with an online price+shipping amount; might be worth running it by them....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Great conversation and thanks for sharing stories. I found one on Amazon, for *slightly* cheaper than WP's site. I will so some more searching and see what I can find. Unfortunately, I am not in Snow Plow Country anymore (insert laughing smiley, since I can't seem to find smilies anymore)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts