The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone give me some advice, got an 01 7.3 with 4r100 trans, in the past couple months when I start my truck the check engine light comes on and goes away, when I drive it comes on and goes off with acceleration. I started the other morning at 60 couple degrees and it was knockin and actin like it dropped a cylinder with the amount of smoke comin outta it. It cleared up and idled fine then once I started driving the check engine light was on and off. I need advice soon, truck has 268000 miles, want it to last, but can't put my finger on the problem.

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
Welcome to TheDieselStop

A common problem is the Under Valve Cover Harness (UVCH) coming loose from the connector at the valve cover gasket. Heat and vibration cause them to come loose. That will cause a miss that can be intermittent. Removing the valve covers and replacing the UVCHs is the best fix if you find them loose. Some have shimmed the clip with a quarter (aka the 50 cent mod.) You can check without pulling the valve covers using a multimeter. More info on that in the Hard/No Start link in my signature.

Another issue might be the wiring to the ICP (Injection Control Pressure) sensor (right behind the alternator on the driver's side head). Pull the wiring connector off the sensor and see if your issues disappear (the check engine light will be on, but the PCM will ignore the missing signal to run the engine). Also take a look in the connector on the sensor itself to see if there's oil inside it. If so, the sensor is bad. Check the wiring for chafing.

Report back what you find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the input, I beyond greatly appreciate it! The icp and the uvch were 2 things I was thinkin it was, I just wanted someone else's opinion, I will start on this probably Saturday or Friday night and will get back to you. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts