The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never have any problems with any of my 7.3 trucks but this one. Its a headache. Its almost impossible to start, doesnt matter the temperature. Acts lime its out of fuel. Wants to start, but wont. I have to pure diesel on the air filter and cross my fingers. Once started, i can put the pedal to the floor and doesnt do a thing. Runs very rough. Wont get faster then idle down the block. But once its warmed up, drives like a champ. Ive done so much to this truck as in new parts i cant figure the problem.
New batteries. New fuel pump, cleaned the tank screen. New CPS, new ICP, new IPR, new valve cover harnesses, new fuel filter, new GP and GPR.
I heard it may be the HPOP or EBPS. I dont know. Gonna clean the EBPS today.
If anyone has any advice or more knowledge, please do tell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure what all the acronyms mean, but have you replaced the fuel return lines and caps? Seems a common source of air infiltration to the fuel system. And a common source of hard starts. Doing mine along with injectors this week to try and rectify the same issue.

·
Registered
628 Posts
BCMac, These trucks are completely different animals than your old IDI! No fuel return lines and caps to leak air...
souunds like sludgy oil or an ICP/IPR issue to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My bad. Didn't notice the year prior to chiming in.

·
Premium Member
15,126 Posts
How many miles on the injectors? Is the starter spinning quick enough? Any way to monitor IC pressure? Any discoloration of the old fuel filter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 2002 7.3 had an intermittent problem with no power, dead accelerator pedal but did not exhibit difficulty in starting. Sometimes it would run great and others not so much. I ended up replacing the accelerator pedal assembly. Fixed my problem.

I see it's not the exact problem you're having but something to consider.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont think it would be the fuel lines because the engine has been in 3 different trucks. Everytime its the same thing. Lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The ICP, IPR, and CPS have been swamped with brand new ford ones. Ive also swamped them with some of my other 7.3's that run great. No change.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New starter, also replaced injector Orings. No discolor in fuel filter housing. Also, i get alot of white smoke while trying to start. People say its unburned fuel. The cranking is fine. No miss, no skip.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb here....white smoke means injectors are firing. Also may mean GP's are not working properly. I had similar issues and it was injectors. Only four were firing till warm then ran fine. I no longer wait for GP's and mine fires up perfect every time now. Pull valve covers and make sure all injectors are spitting oil from spout, not base. If good there, check compression of each cylinder. May be low until warm since rings swell with heat. Just my thoughts. If she's turning over nice and fast this is where I would look next.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im gonna pull valve covers this afternoon. Where exactly is oil supposed to spray from? Alot of oil? Good stream?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Under each injector solenoid is a silver spout. Should squirt each time injector fires

1 - 12 of 12 Posts