The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone i have a 1991 7.3 idi and one of my steel lines going from the injection pump to injector number 3 has sprung a leak what is the cheapest way to fix this what size line is it does it really have to have those exact bends to reduce the pressure someone knowledgeable in this sudject please help

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Welcome to the Diesel Stop

First thing to do is verify its actually the fuel line and not the O rings on the return system. Just below where the line attaches to the injector is a plastic cap that bleeds off unused fuel and they are known to leak after time. If the caps are painted grey then they are factory and the most likely culprit.

Anyway if the line does need to be replaced, then yes you do need the specific line, and make sure you use the line clamps. Mid West Fuel injection will have all the parts you need, AKA thedieselstore.com

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you and it's definitely the line it selfl it shoots out from the top of the nut where the fl
are idnt seating and so i cant just get some line as a replacement and bend it myself it has to have those exact bends? The only reason i ask is because the bends for that line honestly seem a little much

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
All those bends are there so the lines are all the same exact length, it's very important that they are. The lines will crack, either at the IP or injector if the line clamps are not on them.

1 - 3 - 5 - 7 injectors are on the passengers side, 2 - 4- 6 -8 are drivers side.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright thank you very much and also idk about this but napa told me that i could use a copper wash on it to make it seat but idk about that idea

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Copper washer is used at the base of the injector to seal it at the pre cup (cylinder). Some people have had limited luck using Emory cloth to clean the flare surfaces.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Emory clothe wont work in my case because the flare is cracked and i knew about the copper washer for the injector which brings me to my next question i bought the kit for the injector cap washer o ring and copper kit everything has went smoothly expcept the driver side front new cap 90's where the old cap dead ends do i just reroute it to the passenger side and buy a t to go to the filter eliminate the hose fitting on the 90 coming off the filter and just run the driverside line to the passenger then to the back line where it returns to the tank or can i buy a single cap that dead ends

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Here is the return line diagram for a turbo engine. Non turbo will have the cross over in a different spot, but you shouldn't have any dead head caps

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
You should have a 90 on injector #2 going to the top of the injector pump. Is the fitting there?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it's supposed to be with the 90 coming out of the injection pump the i should be able to buy a 90 with a hose fitting and it work that way right?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Take the line off and route the hose from #2. It's funny (NOT) what some people do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So pretty much completely eliminate the steel line and and four way run the rubber hose directly from #2 to injection pump then turn around and just t the line in the back where the #7&#8 90 to go into the main line

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Yup. The cross over from 7 & 8 join and return to the tank(s). The line from 2 to the IP helps cool the pump.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright thank you so much ive had this truck for around six months and the last two months its been down with what started as blown head gaskets before that it spent almost two years in probate between my fiancée family and her and before that its had two previous owners which both are dead so ive kinda had to play the guessing game and consult with a techbook and get on forums its a 85 f350 4×4 with the 7.3 outta a 91 and a 4spd manual transmission idk a thing about the transmission though but i also normally deal strictly with gm

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Welcome to a better idea! Engine is built by Navistar (International) and considered pretty much indestructible. Maintained properly it will outlive the body/chassis. Feel free to use us as a data base, lots of friendly people here.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Interesting color.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts