The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have a 1993 7.3 crew cab dually with after market turbo on it, im not getting fuel to my injectors, i have put a new fuel pump and another injector pump and im fixing to change it again, help help me please, motor was just freshly rebuilt it has about 20 miles on motor, with alot of new parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Help is on the way.

Don't want to sound like a smart alec, but do you have fuel in the tank?
You need at least 1/2 tank, both front and rear, reason is this, Foot valve in tank will eventually fail, leaving the last 3 inches or so of fuel out of reach. Also , selector valve may get stuck, so you might have air coming in from an empty tank.
After fuel level has been established, air must be manually bled from the fuel filter and the injection pump.
Then, open the injector lines a few turns,(till the nut is a bit loose),at the injector.
Crank engine to remove air from lines.
Tighten lines.
You may want a battery charger hooked up while you do this, as a long cranking session will drain batteries. These engines need a bit of speed while cranking,low batteries will compound any previous problems.
I don't check in here that often, but others are around, I'm sure enough talent and experience exist here to help you with this.
Enjoy, Ed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im getting fuel to the injector pump fine, but nothing coming out of pump, some time it starts and sometimes it just turns over, i got another injector pump ill be in stalling tomorrow

·
Registered
45 Posts
JUST SHOOTING IN THE DARK BUT IF IT RAN FOR 20 MILES AND QUIT, HAVE YOU CHECKED THE LIFT PUMP DRIVE? IM NOT A BIG IDI MECHANIC SO I DON'T RECALL HOW THEY OPERATE... JUST A THOUGHT
When I got my IDI, one of the first things I did was install an electric lift pump (Facet/Duralift 40285) and eliminate the mechanical pump. I made a careless mistake and hooked the relay to the fast idle solenoid instead of the fuel shutoff solenoid. So whenever the truck warmed up enough to come off fast idle, the pump would turn off!

The strange thing is that it never stopped running. There was just a mild bog when accelerating uphill. Anyway I would check the lift pump, but not necessarily first. I am not sure if mechanical pumps can be "sucked-through" but the electric sure can and the truck will start and run ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
The strange thing is that it never stopped running. There was just a mild bog when accelerating uphill. Anyway I would check the lift pump, but not necessarily first. I am not sure if mechanical pumps can be "sucked-through" but the electric sure can and the truck will start and run ;)

I have an e-pump as well. I didn't install a relay, but rather an on-off switch that I turn on whenever I start up the engine. One day I forgot to turn on the switch and the van drove fine for several miles. I think as long as you don't have any air in the system or major load on the engine, the IP will suck thru the e-pump just fine. (for short occurrences or emergencies, of course)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i charged both batteries and bleed the air out of the lines and had fuel return leaking fuel luke crazy but i put new set of o rings but didnt work so i put another new set in there and it held it so far, but i got her running now its going monday for new exhaust on it idk what to go with yet

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Anything over 3 inch diameter exhaust is a waste of money.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i got 3 inch off my turbo right now bit its like one 3 foot long pipe, i have to buy pipe and muffler for it

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Walker BTM is a good muffler. Look for a full flow muffler.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I bought an off brand at my local AP store.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts