The Diesel Stop banner

7.3L IDI Misc. Questions

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Bill1013 
#1 ·
Hey guys. So I've owned my 88 f250 lariat for about 2 months now. I just had a few questions I was looking to get answered.
First one. About a month ago I had the glow plug system die on me. I'm guessing that's what happened. My FSS, CTA, high idle solenoid lost power, and my glow plug system only kicks on if I supply power from the battery straight to the old FSS wire. Don't know why it works but it does. It kicks on for about 10 seconds and then the solenoid clicks on and off like it should. When my glow plugs kick on only 3 of them actually work (as far as I can tell). What would be a main cause to this?
Second one, the wiring harness is a mess. In the engine bay, under the dash, and frame are a matrix of spliced and ghettoed wiring. Is there a harness I can buy or do I have to make my own?
Thanks in advance guys. :)

#2 ·
im rewiring my 87 right now with a EZ 20 circuit wiring kit.
these electrical systems are super easy.
and with an aftermarket wiring kit, it makes things simplified alot more.

what kind of plugs are you using?
i would say that you either have bad plugs, or a short in the glow plug harness.

#4 ·
well, my truck is a manual.
and it didnt come with cruise control. (or the PO pulled it)
so i cant help you there, but im sure it would be pretty simple to adapt, e4od would need a stand alone comp.
i got my truck stripped, and have been piecing it back together with 10 different trucks lol

i want to install a OBS electric cruise control, but thats for a later date.

im working with a friend at Stuart Warner to set me up with an aftermarket tach that would use the OEM trigger.
also going to be running SW electronic gauges.

temp sensor is no biggie its just a 1 wire op.

my 2 IDIs are here
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f30/custom-touches-your-trucks-542242/

#5 ·
Yeah mine's a manual as well. I refuse to buy an automatic anything after some bad luck with them in the past. Nice rig, by the way. You must have a wonderful turning radius ;)
What I wound up with for $1200 was a decent frame, engine, interior (if you can forgive the brown) with just a crappy plasti dip paint job and the worst nest of wiring I've ever seen. Most of the dash doesn't work or is intermittent. I didn't even know I had an indicator for 4wd until the sun reflected the panel. So I think I need a new switch there.
Thank you very much for your help by the way. :)

#6 ·
yes its a generic harness...
Speedway Motors sells them too. 169 dollars and about 20+ hours of wiring work makes that rats nest go away!
my turning radius isnt too bad, the frame is the stock CC LB frame, altho i like to take up 2 "compact" spots to piss people off!

#8 ·
If your glow plug cycle is 10 seconds and then you get a ON/OFF click cycle your glow plugs are all working. Even with one or two GP's not glowing, the cycle would be awful short.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.