The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to 7.3L, but not new to diesel. Previously owned a Cummins 12 valve, and have a Volkswagen pump deuse TDI with 234,000 mi and counting, and a Yanmar 2cyl tractor. I picked up an F350 4x4 Crew that would not start, and repaired the glow plug system. A few questions:
Does anyone have a factory trailer wiring diagram?
Is there a windshield wiper delay module?
What are thoughts on adding a Banks sidewinder?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I forgot to ask: Does the IDI need to have the valves adjusted occasionally like the Cummins?

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Also, I forgot to ask: Does the IDI need to have the valves adjusted occasionally like the Cummins?
Nope, hydraulic lifters. You didn't say what year, but delayed wipers are generally an option on the more loaded models, XLT Lariat, etc. Don't have a trailer wiring schematic handy, but they're easy to trace out if you have a test light.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If its got high miles id stay away from adding the turbo. It will just wear out quicker. Im paying the price for that as we speak. Also be prepared to spend many minutes in the cold weather trying to start it. Other then that pretty solid trucks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had this diagram a long time and I used to to get my trailer wiring squared away. Can't remember if it's 100% accurate or not but a test light will help a lot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Miles: 92,000
Wipers: delay, I now know that the PO put in a wiper motor with a single plug and adapted the two plugs to it. That probably explains a lot. How about a wiring diagram for that?

1990 F350 XLT Lariat 4x4 7.3L 5sp

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
For the trailer wiring, if it came with the tow package, the wires are wrapped up in the harness at the rear should be (Black, Red/Orange, Blue.) The front next to the drivers side firewall is a harness with the same wires wrapped in it, also a relay just hanging there. Some 90's have a connector under the dash in the center for a brake control connection.

For the wipers, is the control on the steering column for intermittent wipers? If so there is a module under the dash. The wiring diagram is for an 89 but should be close.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a knob on the dash. I am going to have to verify that wiring, but I suspect the interval controller is bad. They only work on High.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the trailer wiring, if it came with the tow package, the wires are wrapped up in the harness at the rear should be (Black, Red/Orange, Blue.) The front next to the drivers side firewall is a harness with the same wires wrapped in it, also a relay just hanging there. Some 90's have a connector under the dash in the center for a brake control connection.

For the wipers, is the control on the steering column for intermittent wipers? If so there is a module under the dash. The wiring diagram is for an 89 but should be close.
I thought I spied some factory wires by the column on the firewall. I am an electronic technician by trade, and prefer to use the factory installed wires whenever possible. The guy that installed the brake controller should find another line of work. It gets the job done, but I am not impressed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had this diagram a long time and I used to to get my trailer wiring squared away. Can't remember if it's 100% accurate or not but a test light will help a lot.
From what I remember when I wired the last 7-pole, that looks correct, but I was wanting to know the wiring layout for the truck itself. I have 3 connectors by the back bumper that are not being used. One looks like it could be trailer brakes, and one possibly lights. 3rd might be aux power and back up lights, which my boat trailer has. I am thinking of putting a camera on the trailer, assuming I can make it waterproof, and may have to run a coax or two.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have two connectors on my truck, one for a bumper pull trailer and one for a gooseneck. This diagram got me through rewiring both of them. My truck also has a factory connector under the dash for the trailer brake. Took a little doing but was able to get them all working. Honestly I don't know what the 3rd connector you have may be unless someone replaced a connector in the past and never removed the old one.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
From what I remember when I wired the last 7-pole, that looks correct, but I was wanting to know the wiring layout for the truck itself. I have 3 connectors by the back bumper that are not being used. One looks like it could be trailer brakes, and one possibly lights. 3rd might be aux power and back up lights, which my boat trailer has. I am thinking of putting a camera on the trailer, assuming I can make it waterproof, and may have to run a coax or two.
One of those connectors should have a Green and a Yellow wire, that would be for the stop/turn, Right and Left. Don't have my 90 F350 anymore so can't check or remember, been 5-6 yrs ago. Trailer brakes have a Blue 12 Ga wire. One connector might have a single Brown wire, that would be for running lights on the trailer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Follow up to intermittent wipers: There was bad solder joints in the wiper controller, probably from the emergency brake hammering the dash frame where it is mounted. Some YouYube vids suggest it would have bad solder joints around the relay, but mine were around a heat sink and cathode of a power diode.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know I have a problem with the pickups in the fuel tanks, but what happens when it starts sucking air in the lines? My engine seems pretty doggy under 2000 rpm, and occasionally I detect a burst of energy while cruising. May just be the cruise control over-reacting. Thoughts?

·
Registered
106 Posts
710 Burner, when it sucks air the engine knocks loudly, surges, white smoke, silence.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have not seen any white smoke.
It runs rough for the first 20 seconds or so if I let it sit for a day or two.
It seems to be leaking fuel at the electrical connection on top of the filter head, and I suspect sucking in air. O-ring?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
That electrical connection on top is the fuel heater element, it is useless. You can drill and tap for a 1/2" pipe thread and plug it with a 1/2" plug.

Yes, a leak there will suck in air.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Understood. But what does the fuel heater actually use for a seal? An O-ring?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
It's what is called a Quad cut, like an O'ring but it's cut/molded in a Square shape. Have no idea what size it is, all posts I've seen, there very hard to come buy and never a size was mentioned.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A quad-seal. It has two sealing surfaces. similar to the quad-seal used in a Mercruiser outdrive oil passage. Yes, that may be hard to come by if my local International dealer or Delco diesel does not have it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts