The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all I have a 94 7.3 IDI and I want to install a smoke switch. I have googled and went on YouTube to try to find some results and got nothing. Can anyone help me with this? Like instructions or a diagram or video link??

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
7.3 IDI smoke switch installation

Ain't gonna happen. The IDI engine is mechanical and the fueling is set. The only way to get an IDI to blow a bunch of smoke is to turn the pump up all the way or stuff a rag in the intake.

Either method will let you achieve the desired results for a short time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
IDI's don't have a computer so no programmer. Have to turn the pump up manually. Search turbo I stall here and it will tell you how.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I guess you didn't really read my response:

AINT GONNA HAPPEN!!!

No computer, no plug, no programmer. END OF STORY!!

·
Registered
17,604 Posts

IDI's don't have a computer so no programmer. Have to turn the pump up manually.

That's what I tried to tell him in the first place.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
No. It means the fuel is injected mechanically. The IP pressurizes the fuel and at a set pressure the injector "pop"s releasing the pressure through a nozzle into the cylinder.

I have both a boost gauge and pyrometer installed.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts

Your choice. AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Jegs, Summit.... Most any auto parts store sells gauges.

You get what you pay for. All of mine are Autometer electric full sweep @ roughly $200.00 a gauge. You can use mechanical gauges for less money and cheaper brands.

I had money so I bought high quality since I was towing a 12,000 lb fifth wheel around the country.

Decide what your budget is and go shopping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts