The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm buying a complete turbo set up off of a 93 7.3l idi with the factory turbo and I'm just curious those of you that have done this exact swap what kind of power gains should I expect and how much boost do you guys run, right now my timing is advanced a couple degrees and my pump is maxed out. Another question is am I going to have to turn everything back down? What do you guys have your trucks timed at and what adjustments on your pumps. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
[quote"Roll, roll, rollin' coal
let the prius see
big black cloud
exhaust thats loud
watch the city boy flee
yee yee"
earl dibbles jr][/quote]
Any responsible old Diesel owner does NOT do that. It makes a bad name and promotes negative Legislation for us who like to own the older Diesel's.
Now, having said that.

Yes, you can put that turbo on your 86 6.9L. With your IP turned up to Max and if you don't have an EGT gauge, you have no idea what your EGT (Exhaust Gas Temps) are running. At 1250*F, the pistons will start to melt (CRACK), the precups will crack, Glow Plugs will burn out or warp/swell if that temp is held for very long. A BOOST gauge is also recommended.
You will need the up and down exhaust pipe Y.
You should, in place of the head bolts, it is recommended to replace them with ARP studs due to the higher compression, although it is not necessary if the boost is held below 10 PSI. But your taking a chance the head gaskets don't blow. You can also retorque the head bolts to 95 ft. lbs. following the bolt sequence.
Your timing should be set at 9.5* to 11.5* with a turbo, where ever it's runs best on a hot engine without a diesel knock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply, and most of that information i did know already except for the retorquing of the heads and the timing. As for the rolling coal bit, it is just a saying however my truck does blow black now and again while pulling trailers or going up steep hills.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
That smoking will probably stop after the turbo install.

When and if you do a retorque on the head bolts, do it like you where just putting the heads on sequence, 1 - 2- 3 etc. Loosen 3/4 turn, then torque 10 ft lbs over (95 ft lbs).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts