The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 7.3 idi im new to diesels i bought it without hearing it run...i replace fuel return lines on top of injectors and fuel filter i have fuel getting to my injectors. Im working on glowplug wiring but if i jump across the poles on the controller it will try to start just it want start any thoughts need help please

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Welcome to the forum

On a cold start the glow plugs only need to be energized for 10-14 seconds. They are only used to preheat the combustion chambers to start the engine, and if left energized could cause issues.

These engines need two healthy batteries to turn the starter fast enough that you can't count the revolutions. How did you test for fuel at the injectors?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Did you get the EXACT correct injector lines? The length of the line determines (in part) injection timing.
If I read the post right he just changed the return lines. Since you can do that without changing the caps or removing the injector lines, I didn't bother to ask about the steel lines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Having the same hard start issue. It was known at the time of purchase. Since I don't totally know whats been done and what hasn't I've ordered a full set of injectors, glow plugs and return line kit. Hopefully that takes care of things. Or at least guide me to whats next.

·
Registered
48 Posts
when I have hard start issues I usually trouble start in the following order....

1. glow plugs. is the controller clicking? is light staying on long enough? are they all good? - use a test light to check them
2. fuel return lines. any leaks, air intrusion?
3. batteries. are they cranking fast enough

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
use a test light to check them
You don't use a test light, you use an ohm meter. A glow plug can still light a test light due to no resistance through its heating element----which of course means no heat, and the plug is bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts